RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Can't insert text in text box, draws box but insists on 0 pixels or pts.

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

Gene Heskett
2017-12-17 01:54:26 UTC (over 6 years ago)

Greetings all;

debian wheezy, up to date as of right now. gimp-2.8.2

I call up gimp to add some arrows and text boxes to some pix I want to use in an article for the linuxcnc wiki.

I load the pix, then select the big A in the single column, screen+ height tool list, (I could mutter at length about that) set the font to hack bold, and its size to 64 pixels. Then go click on the spot I want the text to start at. get a 4square box, and what I thought was the text entry requester just above it.

But no matter what I type in what I think is the text entry window of a teeny requester, the 4 adjoining squares indicating where the text should go, remain stuck to each other and it doesn't help to pull it out for what should be a suitably sized box, nothing shows up, and the duplicate text size selection stays at zero. And if I hover the mouse over that box it tells me its for font adjustments. So I crank the multiselector to 64 pixels, re-enter hack bold in the box of the requester then click on the pix and once I was able to see the 3 three characters I typed, but if I leave that area of the pix to click on an increase or decrease arrow make the text larger or smaller, everything is cleared and the font is reset to sans 18, and the text that was visible is cleared, so nothing actually makes it into the picture and even the undo selector stays greyed out.

What the hell folks? Why is it so adamant about the font being sans and size 0 or 18 despite what I have set, and why can't I go back and forth, adjusting it to do what I want without its clearing out all previous settings, including reverting the box I drug out to a suitable size back to the 4square target.

So I'm again lost, have to learn how to use gimp all over again. How about a stable interface, one that works like it did 15 years ago, and works the same this year, and works the same next year?

So how DO I insert caption text into a picture with this 2.8.2 version?

Next I suppose I get the text installed, then try to draw a freehand arrow connecting the text to the part being discussed in the accompanying text, and find that been changed too? Just to check, the pencil only has one color, random. Set it for 50% transparency and draw, looks line a line of spilled glitter, each pixel a different color. Spit, undo.

Sheesh.

Thanks.

Cheers, Gene Heskett

"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
 soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Genes Web page 
Steve Kinney
2017-12-17 19:21:51 UTC (over 6 years ago)

Has anybody seen or heard of the behavior described below (multi-broken text tool, bizarre 'pencil' tool behavior)? It's all new to me.

My first suggestion would be to remove the GIMP, rename or delete the .gimp file in the /home directory, and install the latest available version from the repos. Because I don't /think/ anything external to the GIMP itself could cause those diverse failure modes.

:o/

On 12/16/2017 08:54 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:

Greetings all;

I call up gimp to add some arrows and text boxes to some pix I want to use in an article for the linuxcnc wiki.

I load the pix, then select the big A in the single column, screen+ height tool list, (I could mutter at length about that) set the font to hack bold, and its size to 64 pixels. Then go click on the spot I want the text to start at. get a 4square box, and what I thought was the text entry requester just above it.

But no matter what I type in what I think is the text entry window of a teeny requester, the 4 adjoining squares indicating where the text should go, remain stuck to each other and it doesn't help to pull it out for what should be a suitably sized box, nothing shows up, and the duplicate text size selection stays at zero. And if I hover the mouse over that box it tells me its for font adjustments. So I crank the multiselector to 64 pixels, re-enter hack bold in the box of the requester then click on the pix and once I was able to see the 3 three characters I typed, but if I leave that area of the pix to click on an increase or decrease arrow make the text larger or smaller, everything is cleared and the font is reset to sans 18, and the text that was visible is cleared, so nothing actually makes it into the picture and even the undo selector stays greyed out.

What the hell folks? Why is it so adamant about the font being sans and size 0 or 18 despite what I have set, and why can't I go back and forth, adjusting it to do what I want without its clearing out all previous settings, including reverting the box I drug out to a suitable size back to the 4square target.

So I'm again lost, have to learn how to use gimp all over again. How about a stable interface, one that works like it did 15 years ago, and works the same this year, and works the same next year?

Next I suppose I get the text installed, then try to draw a freehand arrow connecting the text to the part being discussed in the accompanying text, and find that been changed too? Just to check, the pencil only has one color, random. Set it for 50% transparency and draw, looks line a line of spilled glitter, each pixel a different color. Spit, undo.

Sheesh.

Thanks.

Cheers, Gene Heskett

Gene Heskett
2017-12-17 20:13:33 UTC (over 6 years ago)

On Sunday 17 December 2017 14:21:51 Steve Kinney wrote:

Has anybody seen or heard of the behavior described below (multi-broken text tool, bizarre 'pencil' tool behavior)? It's all new to me.

My first suggestion would be to remove the GIMP, rename or delete the .gimp file in the /home directory, and install the latest available version from the repos. Because I don't /think/ anything external to the GIMP itself could cause those diverse failure modes.

I'll do that and advise. Thank you Steve Kinney.

On 12/16/2017 08:54 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:

Greetings all;

Sheesh.

Thanks.

Cheers, Gene Heskett

_______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership:
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

Cheers, Gene Heskett

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Genes Web page 
Gene Heskett
2017-12-17 21:04:16 UTC (over 6 years ago)

On Sunday 17 December 2017 15:13:33 Gene Heskett wrote:

On Sunday 17 December 2017 14:21:51 Steve Kinney wrote:

I'll do that and advise. Thank you Steve Kinney.

I used synaptic to completely remove it and 4 or so plugins. Then did an rm -fR .gimp. An ls -la showed nothing named .gimp. Then I reinstalled, which created a new .gimp-2.8 directory, dated today. So I may have not deleted the . directory. I'll repeat, because when I opened it, it was exactly as I closed it yesterday, including the opened pencil config tool.

Humm, that .gimp-2.8 directory did not want to be removed, but I finally did get it gone.

Then a 2nd reinstall sure changed its looks. Got tools and brushes menu's that look more like what I was semi used to 5 years ago. Now I'll have to see if it actually works as advertised. :) Thanks.

Ok, got a text inserted, but the pencil is best described as out of lead, small circle I can wave around to amuse myself, but pressing the left mouse button for freehand drawing does not draw anything, anyplace, in any selected color, size or weight..

I'll try the paintbrush. Nope, paintbrush is out of paint.

Next?

Thanks Steve Kinney. [...]

Cheers, Gene Heskett

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Genes Web page 
Steve Kinney
2017-12-17 23:46:31 UTC (over 6 years ago)

On 12/17/2017 04:04 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:

On Sunday 17 December 2017 15:13:33 Gene Heskett wrote:

Ok, got a text inserted, but the pencil is best described as out of lead, small circle I can wave around to amuse myself, but pressing the left mouse button for freehand drawing does not draw anything, anyplace, in any selected color, size or weight..

I'll try the paintbrush. Nope, paintbrush is out of paint.

Next?

It's possible that you are trying to paint on a part of a layer where there is nothing to paint on: The text layer. So the next thing to try might be to make a new layer (default is transparent), and have a go at painting on that.

It will be helpful to get familiar with the manual; here's a good starting point, identifying all the major menus and etc.:

https://docs.gimp.org/2.8/en/gimp-concepts-main-windows.html

When I set up the GIMP it don't look nothing like that, but some of the ideas presented in my tutorial - especially with regard to work flow i.e. saving and exporting files, may be helpful. Also the links at the bottom of the page.

http://pilobilus.net/gimp_tutorial.html

:o)