RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

White balance correction

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

White balance correction scott092707 16 Dec 20:56
  White balance correction Carol Spears 19 Dec 02:17
2017-12-16 20:56:12 UTC (over 6 years ago)
postings

White balance correction

I have taken several night panoramas, in which the camera seems to have decided to change the white balance for the right-most photo[s] to have quite a bit more yellow in them.

I have tried to select the yellow and bucket-fill white; hue/saturation, yellow, reduce saturation (just goes to grey); and a technique where one picks the white, grey, and black points to try and color-correct, but have achieved nothing even remotely satisfactory.

Since the subject in question is across the ocean from me, I cannot just go and re-take the photos with the camera's white balance nailed down to something other than Auto.

Hugin puts the photos together OK, but the yellow is changed into a hideous greenish-yellow...

I will try to attach some screenshots, two that show adjoining shots with different white-balance, and Hugin's final product...

Any suggestions as to how to salvage these otherwise nice panoramas?

Carol Spears
2017-12-19 02:17:02 UTC (over 6 years ago)

White balance correction

On Sat, Dec 16, 2017 at 3:56 PM, scott092707 wrote:

Any suggestions as to how to salvage these otherwise nice panoramas?

I would avoid using the paint tools (like fill) and head right to either levels or curves.

Try Levels and the Auto Input button and then work from there, using the gamma
slider (the triangle in the middle) and not with the Value, but on the color channels
which can be found in the menu that defaults to Value.

Have one of the desired photos open and twiddle with especially green and red gamma
until they look similar.

Others have reported good luck also with the Channel Mixer plug-in which should also
work if harnessed correctly for the task, but I have a particular fondness for the Levels
Tool and when attempting such repairs with the Channel Mixer, quickly return to the tool.

Let us know how it goes?

carol