RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

How to Lock layers?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

How to Lock layers? Maisie 14 Dec 16:53
  How to Lock layers? rich404 14 Dec 18:09
   How to Lock layers? Maisie 14 Dec 21:00
    How to Lock layers? rich404 15 Dec 09:00
  How to Lock layers? Ofnuts 14 Dec 23:47
   How to Lock layers? Ross Martinek 15 Dec 03:57
2017-12-14 16:53:02 UTC (over 6 years ago)
postings

How to Lock layers?

How do you lock layers or a particular layer on Gimp?

I've searched youtube for this, watched several videos on basics of layers (which is really time consuming), and the videos I watched didn't cover this tiny piece of info I'm looking for

TIA

rich404
2017-12-14 18:09:03 UTC (over 6 years ago)

How to Lock layers?

I've searched youtube for this, watched several videos on basics of layers (which is really time consuming), and the videos I watched didn't cover this tiny piece of info I'm looking for

TIA

Maybe you have already found your answer.

Best if you give Operating system and version of Gimp for any of these types of question.

For any particular layer you can prevent painting on it with the two locks in the Layers dock. (A) Lock pixels and Lock alpha channel (transparency)

What you can not do is lock the layer against accidentally moving it. The move tool in Gimp will move the layer with a solid pixel under the cursor, often that is the background layer. A move layer lock is coming, next version of Gimp.

In the move tool options there is a tick box for move-the-active layer. Use that and make sure you know which layer you are on.

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

2017-12-14 21:00:39 UTC (over 6 years ago)
postings

How to Lock layers?

Maybe you have already found your answer.

Best if you give Operating system and version of Gimp for any of these types of question.

For any particular layer you can prevent painting on it with the two locks in the Layers dock. (A) Lock pixels and Lock alpha channel (transparency)

What you can not do is lock the layer against accidentally moving it. The move tool in Gimp will move the layer with a solid pixel under the cursor, often that is the background layer. A move layer lock is coming, next version of Gimp.

In the move tool options there is a tick box for move-the-active layer. Use that and make sure you know which layer you are on.

Am using 2.8.16 - nothing changes in the layers view to let me know that I have locked both pixels and transparency - is there not a way to see this?

Ofnuts
2017-12-14 23:47:02 UTC (over 6 years ago)

How to Lock layers?

On 12/14/17 17:53, Maisie wrote:

TIA

If "lock" means prevent it from being moved, the answer is that there is no such thing in 2.8, but AFAIK this has been added in 2.9.

Ross Martinek
2017-12-15 03:57:59 UTC (over 6 years ago)

How to Lock layers?

Finally!

Ross

On Dec 14, 2017, at 5:47 PM, Ofnuts wrote:

On 12/14/17 17:53, Maisie wrote:

TIA

If "lock" means prevent it from being moved, the answer is that there is no such thing in 2.8, but AFAIK this has been added in 2.9.

_______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

rich404
2017-12-15 09:00:48 UTC (over 6 years ago)

How to Lock layers?

Am using 2.8.16 - nothing changes in the layers view to let me know that I have locked both pixels and transparency - is there not a way to see this?

Gimp 2.8.16 no mention of OS Are you using Windows or OSX or linux?

Did you look at the screenshot in the other post, it shows the locks top of the layer dock.

No matter, here is another one.

This in Windows and have to admit not as clear as say linux but the little icons do change, dotted line around, bit of shading, depends on your Gimp theme.

A more useful indication is the brush cursor changes. see screenshot

The ultimate indication is; Can you paint on the layer? Yes - not locked, No - locked.