RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Need help with layer sizes

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Need help with layer sizes RunSebastian 21 Nov 03:34
  Need help with layer sizes rich404 21 Nov 09:25
  Need help with layer sizes Carol Spears 21 Nov 19:40
  Need help with layer sizes ugajin 21 Nov 19:43
2017-11-21 03:34:40 UTC (over 6 years ago)
postings

Hello,

I started an .xcf file with four layers. The first layer is smaller than the others. I intend to make them all the same size but want to edit them first.

However, when I imported all four layers, the program automatically cropped them all to be the same size as the first layer. I want them all to maintain their original size until I've edited them and am ready to crop/resize them to fit the first layer's size.

I've tried Fit Canvas to Layers. It doesn't fix the problem.

Any guidance would be most appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

rich404
2017-11-21 09:25:01 UTC (over 6 years ago)

Hello,

I started an .xcf file with four layers. The first layer is smaller than the others. I intend to make them all the same size but want to edit them first.

However, when I imported all four layers, the program automatically cropped them all to be the same size as the first layer. I want them all to maintain their original size until I've edited them and am ready to crop/resize them to fit the first layer's size.

Gimp does not 'automatically' crop anything. It depends on the procedure used.

Please give more details of your work flow.

If you copy, paste and **anchor** the Floating-Selection it crops to the size of the layer pasted into.

If you copy, paste and **To New Layer** then the size is retained but can be larger than the canvas size. In that case use Image -> Fit Canvas to layers.

If you open several images using File -> Open-as-Layers then the canvas size is the size of the first image opened. Use Image -> Fit Canvas to Layers. However, the obvious is open the largest image first.

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

Carol Spears
2017-11-21 19:40:17 UTC (over 6 years ago)

On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 10:34 PM, RunSebastian wrote:

However, when I imported all four layers, the program automatically cropped them
all to be the same size as the first layer.

Which program?

I ask because if that program is smart enough to resize the layers, perhaps there is an
option to not do that.

Layer -->Layer to image size on a smaller layer will fill the remaining space with alpha or
background color depending on what the layer is capable of.

Perhaps users or authors of the program you used can be of assistance.

carol

ugajin
2017-11-21 19:43:19 UTC (over 6 years ago)

Import the largest layer first?

---- On Tue, 21 Nov 2017 03:34:40 +0000 RunSebastian <forums@gimpusers.com> wrote ----

Hello,

Thank you in advance.

RunSebastian (via www.gimpusers.com/forums) 
List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list