RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Changing Image Zoom default

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Changing Image Zoom default Roundball 15 Nov 14:34
  Changing Image Zoom default rich404 15 Nov 18:20
   Changing Image Zoom default Roundball 15 Nov 21:12
    Changing Image Zoom default Roundball 17 Nov 01:36
     Changing Image Zoom default newyorkayanna 02 Aug 12:14
2017-11-15 14:34:22 UTC (over 6 years ago)
postings

How to permanently change the default zoom size from 12.5 to a larger size?

Like most people, I hate repeatedly wasting unnecessary keystrokes...and after loading every photo into Gimp, I invariably find myself increasing the image size from the 12.5 default to a larger size for better viewing on my laptop. I can’t find any way to edit / permanently change the 12.5 default size to something larger.

The attached screen shot attached shows the zoom scale popped for illustration purposes...it's default is always 12.5, then I either have to over type the 12.5 with a different # or select one of the other sizes from the zoom scale.

Win 10 Pro and GIMP 2.8.22...any help would be appreciated, thanks.

rich404
2017-11-15 18:20:30 UTC (over 6 years ago)

How to permanently change the default zoom size from 12.5 to a larger size?

Like most people, I hate repeatedly wasting unnecessary keystrokes...and after loading every photo into Gimp, I invariably find myself increasing the image size from the 12.5 default to a larger size for better viewing on my laptop. I can’t find any way to edit / permanently change the 12.5 default size to something larger.

The attached screen shot attached shows the zoom scale popped for illustration purposes...it's default is always 12.5, then I either have to over type the 12.5 with a different # or select one of the other sizes from the zoom scale.

Win 10 Pro and GIMP 2.8.22...any help would be appreciated, thanks.

12.5 is not a 'default' value it is the value that will fit the image in the Gimp window. A smaller image will have a different value.

It comes from Edit -> Preferences -> Image Windows-> Initial zoom ratio where the options are **Fit to window** or **1:1**

1:1 with a 6231x4212 pix image will be 100% but that is not the way to go.

The usual way is to use the mouse scroll wheel + ctrl key (or if using a laptop the equivalent on the mouse pad, up/down right-hand-side usually). Ctrl + scroll will zoom in and out. The advantage is it zooms in/out around the mouse cursor, so you zoom in to the bit of interest.

If you need a fixed zoom then you can always set up keyboard shortcut to one of the zoom values.

Edit -> Keyboard Shortcuts. Choose a value, set a key as screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/2c8z26b.jpg

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

2017-11-15 21:12:34 UTC (over 6 years ago)
postings

12.5 is not a 'default' value it is the value that will fit the image in the Gimp window. A smaller image will have a different value.

It comes from Edit -> Preferences -> Image Windows-> Initial zoom ratio where the options are **Fit to window** or **1:1**

1:1 with a 6231x4212 pix image will be 100% but that is not the way to go.

The usual way is to use the mouse scroll wheel + ctrl key (or if using a laptop the equivalent on the mouse pad, up/down right-hand-side usually). Ctrl + scroll will zoom in and out. The advantage is it zooms in/out around the mouse cursor, so you zoom in to the bit of interest.

If you need a fixed zoom then you can always set up keyboard shortcut to one of the zoom values.

Edit -> Keyboard Shortcuts. Choose a value, set a key as screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/2c8z26b.jpg

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

Thanks for the reply...will try those suggestions

2017-11-17 01:36:00 UTC (over 6 years ago)
postings

Thanks for the reply...will try those suggestions

Found a simple solution right on the screen...it was just physically so tiny I never noticed it.

My attached screen shot is of the top right corner of a GIMP screen after an image has loaded into it. It shows the tiny square button at the right end of the top size scale, with it's drop down message displayed under it.

Double clicking it bumps the image size up to the remaining space on the screen.

2020-08-02 12:14:41 UTC (over 3 years ago)
postings

...it was just physically so tiny I never noticed it.

omg thank you for updating post!