RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Export inconsistencies

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Export inconsistencies Carusoswi 12 Nov 15:28
  Export inconsistencies rich404 12 Nov 16:28
   Export inconsistencies Carusoswi 13 Nov 05:01
2017-11-12 15:28:18 UTC (over 6 years ago)
postings

Export inconsistencies

Follow the attached link to view samples of photos that I shot on my Sony A700, opened in Gimp 2.9.7 via darktable, then saved via gimp first to xcf, then to tiff format.

When editing these photos, my laptop display showed them as normal photo files. However, when I Exorted them as .tiff, the results are inconsistent. The first photo returned an image that seems to be a dim, monochromatic version of what I tried to import. The second image appears normal.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Dsug64V2MH5u1zC-vzZdK_8XjnND0DGc?usp=sharing

Caruso Carusoswi@gmail.com

rich404
2017-11-12 16:28:59 UTC (over 6 years ago)

Export inconsistencies

Follow the attached link to view samples of photos that I shot on my Sony A700, opened in Gimp 2.9.7 via darktable, then saved via gimp first to xcf, then to tiff format.

When editing these photos, my laptop display showed them as normal photo files. However, when I Exorted them as .tiff, the results are inconsistent. The first photo returned an image that seems to be a dim, monochromatic version of what I tried to import. The second image appears normal.

What am I doing wrong?

Using Gimp 2.9.7 so some version of linux?

I think your problem is in the color management & the color profile for the image.

As an example the screenshot where the right side is using a ColorMatch icc profile.

All are in 32 bit linear floating point precision which might be part of the problem. Is 16 bit not sufficient?

My advice go to https://discuss.pixls.us/ and state the issue there. Full of people who only use Gimp 2.9.x with Darktable/Rawthereapee

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

2017-11-13 05:01:21 UTC (over 6 years ago)
postings

Export inconsistencies

Using Gimp 2.9.7 so some version of linux?

I think your problem is in the color management & the color profile for the image.

As an example the screenshot where the right side is using a ColorMatch icc profile.

All are in 32 bit linear floating point precision which might be part of the problem. Is 16 bit not sufficient?

My advice go to https://discuss.pixls.us/ and state the issue there. Full of people who only use Gimp 2.9.x with Darktable/Rawthereapee

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

Thanks for the reply. Like most of us, I have lived with 8 bit for a long time. This photo is from a collection of work-related images, nothing precious. When I updated my Ubuntu to 17.10, I re-installed Gimp, this time version 2.9.7. It came with Darktable as a plug-in to open RAW photos. I find 2.9.7 a delight, and have successfully processed some important (to me) photos using that application. Generally, I have only used Darktable as a plug-in, opening the RAW file and exporting immediately to GIMP. I never paid attention to what bit rate was being used.

The only difference in my workflow with regard to the referenced photo was that I used it (and others in that set) to acquaint myself more thoroughly with Darktable. Most of the processing was performed using Darktable, Gimp serving only as a route by which I could export the Darktable file and convert to TIFF.

I will follow your advice and post at pixls for more advice.

Thanks, again.

Caruso