RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

GIMP started crashing on "create new image" with Runtime error

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2017-10-29 22:20:26 UTC (over 6 years ago)
postings

Today all of a sudden GIMP started crashing while creating and saving a file with error: "Runtime Error! Program: c:\...gimp-2.8.exe this application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way ... etc..." This never happened before!
Yet I can open up a recent file - but I cannot save a file! I re-installed GIMP with a fresh download from original site - but it didn't make a difference. How can I fix this?

I'm running a win10 x64. I've been using GIMP for over a year and it's always worked fine.

Michael Schumacher
2017-11-02 12:03:14 UTC (over 6 years ago)

Am 29.10.2017 um 23:20 schrieb Nic:

Today all of a sudden GIMP started crashing while creating and saving a file with error:
"Runtime Error! Program: c:\...gimp-2.8.exe this application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way ... etc..."

So this happens when you create a new file, i.e. when you confirm the new image dialog?

Yet I can open up a recent file - but I cannot save a file!

And it also happens when you try to save a file?

Does it also happen on exporting to an image file format other than XCF?

Regards,
Michael
GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD
2017-11-02 13:00:43 UTC (over 6 years ago)
postings

Am 29.10.2017 um 23:20 schrieb Nic: So this happens when you create a new file, i.e. when you confirm the new image dialog?

Yes to both.
It happens after the "export image" dialogue window opens when I select "export as" from the menu. Even before I hit save or choose a file type. Just after the window opens it crashes.

Michael Schumacher
2017-11-02 14:00:47 UTC (over 6 years ago)

Am 02.11.2017 um 14:00 schrieb Nic:

Am 29.10.2017 um 23:20 schrieb Nic: So this happens when you create a new file, i.e. when you confirm the new image dialog?

Yes to both.

It happens after the "export image" dialogue window opens when I select "export as" from the menu. Even before I hit save or choose a file type. Just after the window opens it crashes.

And it really crashes, i.e. GIMP either vanishes completely and/or you get an error dialog?

If it hangs and doesn't do anything, then this could be that:

https://superuser.com/questions/979504/load-dialog-disk-access-slowdown-on-windows-10#980539

Regards,
Michael
GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD
2017-11-02 14:17:39 UTC (over 6 years ago)
postings

Am 02.11.2017 um 14:00 schrieb Nic:

And it really crashes, i.e. GIMP either vanishes completely and/or you get an error dialog?

If it hangs and doesn't do anything, then this could be that:

https://superuser.com/questions/979504/load-dialog-disk-access-slowdown-on-windows-10#980539

a none existing floppy drive? I'm working on a laptop - it never had a floppy drive. are you saying its BIOS definitions? I'll check into that.
there is an error message appearing, with all the gimp windows as they were, with an OK button on it. i press "ok" and then it shows a dialogue saying: "GNU Image manipulating program has stopped working a problem caused the program to stop working correctly. windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available." with a "close program" button.
I press the button and that's all. Gimp is closed.

2017-11-02 14:28:56 UTC (over 6 years ago)
postings

a none existing floppy drive? I'm working on a laptop - it never had a floppy drive. are you saying its BIOS definitions? I'll check into that.

there is an error message appearing, with all the gimp windows as they were, with an OK button on it.
i press "ok" and then it shows a dialogue saying: "GNU Image manipulating program has stopped working a problem caused the program to stop working correctly. windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available." with a "close program" button.
I press the button and that's all. Gimp is closed.

another detail: when it crashes because I chose to create a new file (open menu "file">choose "new") - it crashes not when I select a file from presets or choose size and hit ok - but after i choose "new". so it goes like this: I choose "file" in menu>I click on "new">a "create new image" dialogue pops up>some time passes (about half a minute)>it crashes with a message.

2017-11-02 15:00:29 UTC (over 6 years ago)
postings

another detail: when it crashes because I chose to create a new file (open menu "file">choose "new") - it crashes not when I select a file from presets or choose size and hit ok - but after i choose "new". so it goes like this: I choose "file" in menu>I click on "new">a "create new image" dialogue pops up>some time passes (about half a minute)>it crashes with a message.

i did find an unknown device in the windows device manager and disabled it. then i restarted and got into bios. there was nothing suspicious there: no floppy no other thing. boot devices were ok (1st was usb; 2nd was hdd; 3rd was network i think; 4th floppy and 5th was something else. So i put floppy last. but I don't think it matters).

Then after it loaded it made the same error just like before so nothing's changed.

2017-11-09 21:03:02 UTC (over 6 years ago)
postings

i did find an unknown device in the windows device manager and disabled it. then i restarted and got into bios. there was nothing suspicious there: no floppy no other thing. boot devices were ok (1st was usb; 2nd was hdd; 3rd was network i think; 4th floppy and 5th was something else. So i put floppy last. but I don't think it matters).

Then after it loaded it made the same error just like before so nothing's changed.

TOPIC SOLVED
what I did:
I uninstalled GIMP. then i removed its file in user folder, in program files and basically everywhere else i could find gimp related folders (found here: http://un-install.info/181288/uninstall-gimp.html. then restart and fresh installation. that's it.