RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Loads slowly

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Loads slowly eingram25 28 Oct 16:17
  Loads slowly Michael Schumacher 02 Nov 12:41
2017-10-28 16:17:41 UTC (over 6 years ago)
postings

Loads slowly

I filed a bug notice some time ago regarding searching for fonts. I have version 2.8.22. Running under Windows 10, 64 bit. There was a temporary "fix" given where we were to rename a certain file. I did the suggestion, but it only worked the second time I opened gimp. all the times after (and still) it takes 50 seconds or more to search for fonts. Has anyone come up with a permanent fix for this problem?

Michael Schumacher
2017-11-02 12:41:59 UTC (over 6 years ago)

Loads slowly

Am 28.10.2017 um 18:17 schrieb eingram25:

I filed a bug notice some time ago regarding searching for fonts. I have version 2.8.22. Running under Windows 10, 64 bit.

There was a temporary "fix" given where we were to rename a certain file.

What happens is a file locking issue for the fontconfig cache - see https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=782676#c14 ff for more details.

The new cache file is actually created, but it never replaces the old one, and so this process is repeated on every start. Even when intervening manually, anything which causes a regeneration of the cache may run into the same issue and start that annoying cycle anew.

I did the suggestion, but it only worked the second time I opened gimp. all the times after (and still) it takes 50 seconds or more to search for fonts. Has anyone come up with a permanent fix for this problem?

A permanent fix is to use a more recent version of the fontconfig library, and as mentioned in that bug report, this is something aimed for in a 2.8.24 release (or actually, the installer package created from that).

The current development release for the Windows platforms, 2.9.6, uses the recent fontconfig and startup behavior seems to consistently avoid that issue, so I'm confident that's fixed for good.

Regards,
Michael
GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD