RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Is a high bit depth monitor worth getting?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

1 of 1 message available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Is a high bit depth monitor worth getting? Helmut Jarausch 20 Oct 16:56
Helmut Jarausch
2017-10-20 16:56:21 UTC (over 6 years ago)

Is a high bit depth monitor worth getting?

Hi,

I'm considering buying a new monitor (and graphics card) which supports 10 bits per color channel.
Will Gimp on a Linux machine (X11) support this now or in the near future. Or is it just waste of money to buy a monitor with more than 8 bits/color channel?

GIMP is moving towards higher colour depth. Would a high bit depth monitor be worth it? That would depend on your use case(s). Is GIMP the only program you would run that would benefit from a high bit depth monitor? Do you run other programs that would benefit from such a monitor? Will your computers graphical environment (aka. desktop) support full use of a high bit depth monitor?

Currently, only Gimp and some other image viewing applications are my main focus for such a monitor.

From the hardware side I've an graphics card which does support 10 bits per

color channel. I've read that (only?) OpenGL will support this. How does Gimp "send" the graphics data to the hardware? Does it use "generel" X11-apis and does this support 10 bits per color channel? Many thanks,
Helmut