RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Does Gimp support more than 8 bits per color channel?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Does Gimp support more than 8 bits per color channel? Helmut Jarausch 20 Oct 16:11
  Does Gimp support more than 8 bits per color channel? Joao S. O. Bueno 20 Oct 19:10
   Does Gimp support more than 8 bits per color channel? Liam R. E. Quin 20 Oct 19:41
Helmut Jarausch
2017-10-20 16:11:27 UTC (over 6 years ago)

Hi,
I'm considering buying a new monitor (and graphics card) which supports 10 bits per color channel.
Will Gimp on a Linux machine (X11) support this now or in the near future. Or is it just waste of money to buy a monitor with more than 8 bits/color channel? Many thanks for some hints,
Helmut

Joao S. O. Bueno
2017-10-20 19:10:00 UTC (over 6 years ago)

more bits per pixels on the monitor/graphics card are actual independent of what your image editing software supports.

8bits per color component is more than you eye can distinguish already, so if these 10 bit components cost extra, don't go for them.

Contrast is another thing: you should aim for good monitor contrast ,where black is black.

So, detailing the display parts: I don't know if x11 or Wayland support 10bpp for display use. Anyway, GIMP uses GTK2 + Cairo for doing the interface, and those sure are 8bpp only.

GIMP 2.9 however can manipulate images with comparatively arbitrary color depths (32bits per color, or 32bit floating point). That will just work on "regular" 8bpp hardware, and the extra depth, while making difference in several situations in an image manipulation pipeline, does not translate to direct physical "view" depth in any device> the extra depth is good when transforming lightness conditions in parts of the image and preserve a smooth local color gradient.

So, again: this 10bpp of monitors and video boards have nothing to do with GIMP's ability of manipulating 32bit float per component, and it does not make the least difference.

On 20 October 2017 at 14:11, Helmut Jarausch wrote:

Hi,
I'm considering buying a new monitor (and graphics card) which supports 10 bits per color channel.
Will Gimp on a Linux machine (X11) support this now or in the near future. Or is it just waste of money to buy a monitor with more than 8 bits/color channel? Many thanks for some hints,
Helmut
_______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

Liam R. E. Quin
2017-10-20 19:41:24 UTC (over 6 years ago)

On Fri, 2017-10-20 at 17:10 -0200, Joao S. O. Bueno wrote:

8bits per color component is more than you eye can distinguish already, so if these 10 bit components cost extra, don't go for them.

Try a gradient from blue to white on a 1,000-pixel wide image and say you don't see banding. The answer to this is not dithering, because then if you have multiple layers composited you start to see other artifacts - this is part of why the movie industry uses higher bit depth, as neither sharp bands in the sky nor flickering like a 1900s silent film was acceptable to them. And if the monitor can't display what's being edited then there's guesswork involved.

Contrast is another thing: you should aim for good monitor contrast ,where black is black.

Yes. And a wider gamut such as AdobeRGB really does help, too especially if you're working with images for print. Monitors that do higher bit depth often also have a wider display gamut, e.g. so you can see saturated reds and oranges.

So, detailing the display parts: I don't know if x11 or Wayland support 10bpp for display use. Anyway, GIMP uses GTK2 + Cairo for doing the interface, and those sure are 8bpp only.

I don't think it wise to guess :)

In fact X11 has supported higher bit depths for decades, partly because of SGI graphic systems used in film production.

However, gtk2 does have the problems i mentioned in my earlier message, so it might be worth waiting for the gtk3 version of gimp to be stable before using 10 bits per channel in the display. Also, i've been told krita is OK with it but i haven't tested that recently.

If you get an 8-bit-per-channel monitor here it's hard to get one that does more than 6-bit on the blue channel by the way - you have to go to a place selling monitors for graphic design (e.g. Vistek in Toronto) or buy one unseen via this new-fangled Web thing.

Note also that a hardware colour calibration device is pretty essential if you're going to spend the extra money for a high quality screen.

Liam