RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Backgrounds

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Backgrounds drakingson 15 Oct 21:10
  Backgrounds rich404 16 Oct 09:47
   Backgrounds rich404 16 Oct 10:21
2017-10-15 21:10:15 UTC (over 6 years ago)
postings

Backgrounds

Hi

I created an image and saved it as a png file. I thought this was supposed to get rid of the white background color. However when I tried to upload it to Printful to create a black t-shirt , the white background color is still there. What can I do? Any suggestions. I'm trying to crate t-shirts for a charity event and need them ASAP.

rich404
2017-10-16 09:47:09 UTC (over 6 years ago)

Backgrounds

Hi

I created an image and saved it as a png file. I thought this was supposed to get rid of the white background color. However when I tried to upload it to Printful to create a black t-shirt , the white background color is still there. What can I do? Any suggestions. I'm trying to crate t-shirts for a charity event and need them ASAP.

Did you remove the white background? Just saving as a png does not do that.

Did your png image look like the attached screenshot before your exported it? The 'transparent' parts should show the typical checker-board pattern denoting transparency.

White can be removed using Gimp menu: Colors -> Color-to-Alpha , white is the default color to remove.

That will also remove parts that you might want as white, so you might have to start again or add as required.

I have not come across Printful before but they do have very reasonable requirements,

https://www.printful.com/blog/everything-you-need-to-know-to-prepare-the-perfect-printfile/

Make your base image in inches (say 10"x12" = 3000 x 3600 pix) and 300 ppi. *But* remember Gimp is a raster editor and works in pixels so small imported images when scaled up will be less-than-wonderful.

Work on new transparent layers.

The Gimp default for adding a new layer is with transparency. Keep the base layer visible (if it helps) until you are finished. Before exporting as a png turn the visibility off. The 'eye' icon toggles on/off.

**Save** your work as a Gimp .xcf This keeps all layers, guides, 'text-as-text' etc. in case you need to go back and alter.

**Export** as a png will merge the visible layers and 'lose' the guides and layer boundaries only seen in Gimp.

Reminder, export as a jpeg and you lose transparency, back to square one.

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

rich404
2017-10-16 10:21:12 UTC (over 6 years ago)

Backgrounds

Just given their 'upload file' option a try, should be ok as outlined in previous post.

see screenshot

rich: www.gimp-forum.net