RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Trouble loading and shutting down gimp

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Trouble loading and shutting down gimp Debracrow 02 Oct 19:19
  Trouble loading and shutting down gimp Michael Schumacher 02 Nov 14:04
2017-10-02 19:19:08 UTC (over 6 years ago)
postings

New to the forum. Secondly I am a complete computer klutz which is what got me into this problem. I have used Gimp for quite a few years, only for Photo use. I was having a computer problem in windows 8.1. Reading on the internet about going back to a previous retrieval point, being a computer non-compus-mentus I did a Refresh instead and lost my older version of Gimp that was working fine. I had to get help to get a lot of my computer items back and working including a newer version of Gimp. Unfortunately, the newer version takes forever on the LOOKING FOR FONTS, seven plus minutes every time I use Gimp. When I looked on the internet seems like several people had some of the same problem but I did not find any solutions. I called a friend and he said "What does the Task Manager Show"?. Being a klutz he had to tell me how to get into the Task Manager. It pretty much shows 100% CPU usage and max disc use when gimp is loading. It does finally load and is usable just like it always was. He suggested uninstalling Gimp and then walked me through finding any remains of the older version and deleting them and then doing a clean install directly from Gimp which I did. Nothing has changed, same delay every time I load. The next problem is when I try to shut it down. The tool box and anything I have open (like contrast or color correction, etc.) remains on the screen after the main screen closes. Tried closing them using the red X in the corner and windows says the program is not responding and do I want to wait for the program or force it closed. As a experiment I once kept pushing wait for the program to see if it ever worked. After 13 minutes I gave up and forced it closed. Looking on the internet someone suggested using cntrl Q to close. Same results using that. Anyone have any suggestions? Please remember I am a Klutz and may not understand what you are trying to tell me unless you explain. Thanks in advance.

Michael Schumacher
2017-11-02 14:04:26 UTC (over 6 years ago)

Am 02.10.2017 um 21:19 schrieb Debracrow:

Unfortunately, the newer version takes forever on the LOOKING FOR FONTS, seven plus minutes every time I use Gimp. When I looked on the internet seems like several people had some of the same problem but I did not find any solutions.

You are encountering this:
https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=782676#c14

Either delete the directory indicated - you should be able to paste %LOCALAPPDATA%\fontconfig into the Windows Explorer folder locat8ion entry - or wait for a new GIMP release.

Regards,
Michael
GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD