RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Adding threshold to guillotine?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Adding threshold to guillotine? bolete 24 Sep 14:13
  Adding threshold to guillotine? rich404 24 Sep 20:13
   Adding threshold to guillotine? bolete 27 Sep 06:42
   Adding threshold to guillotine? bolete 02 Oct 14:40
2017-09-24 14:13:18 UTC (over 6 years ago)
postings

Hello gimp friends,

While I am not new to Gimp (I think I first downloaded it in 2002 or something?!), I am new to not doing things like an idiot.

I am scanning card art for a board game I am making, and I simply want to eliminate noise from the guillotine tool's output. There is a popular scan separator that doesn't quite do what I want, you have to go in and cut out all the negative space to make it true white.

I use guides for correcting crooked scans and eliminating space. I know there must be a simple Guillotine with Threshold or eliminate size /= X sort of script out there somewhere, I just can't seem to find it. Right now, guillotine creates dozens of tiny images of no value and then 9 images I want.

Could someone point me in the right direction? You are welcome to tell me that I am doing this wrong as well and that there are better solutions. I like learning! :)

I greatly appreciate your help.

rich404
2017-09-24 20:13:46 UTC (over 6 years ago)

Hello gimp friends,

While I am not new to Gimp (I think I first downloaded it in 2002 or something?!), I am new to not doing things like an idiot.

I am scanning card art for a board game I am making, and I simply want to eliminate noise from the guillotine tool's output. There is a popular scan separator that doesn't quite do what I want, you have to go in and cut out all the negative space to make it true white.

I use guides for correcting crooked scans and eliminating space. I know there must be a simple Guillotine with Threshold or eliminate size /= X sort of script out there somewhere, I just can't seem to find it. Right now, guillotine creates dozens of tiny images of no value and then 9 images I want.

Could someone point me in the right direction? You are welcome to tell me that I am doing this wrong as well and that there are better solutions. I like learning! :)

I greatly appreciate your help.

Guessing you tried divide-scanned-images script. Best I got was 4 cards.

You might be able to do it using the Gimp g'mic plugin - the extract object filter.

Draw in lines rather than set guides.

A 2 minute demo https://youtu.be/fQ6zTxDOmaA

A bit of care and I think you could get a decent result.

2017-09-27 06:42:51 UTC (over 6 years ago)
postings

You might be able to do it usineg the Gimp g'mic plugin - the extract object filter.

Wow, thank you so much. I did not expect someone to go through the trouble of making a youtube video. I jumped back a little when I saw my example image! I went to http://gmic.eu/gimp.shtml and downloaded GMIC. (It has linux support, awesome) I will report my results soon. Thank you again for the trouble of making the demo and your tips; I will post this video on the boardgame forums I frequent as well, as I know these sorts of questions get asked a lot.

2017-10-02 14:40:24 UTC (over 6 years ago)
postings

You might be able to do it using the Gimp g'mic plugin - the extract object filter.

Rich, thank you for the tutorial again. I combined the extract objects with the fxfoundry rule of thirds grid, which automatically divides into N rectangles based on image information, then thickened it with an offset. The moral of the story is that border space between scans is important. I accidentally clicked the align tool and you can snap gridlines around based on image data, so a bonus solution there for someone like me doing hundreds of error prone scans!

Thank you for your help. Attached victory shot.