RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Cleaning scanned magazine pages

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Cleaning scanned magazine pages MrNiceButDim 30 Aug 01:04
  Cleaning scanned magazine pages Rick Strong 01 Sep 01:25
   Cleaning scanned magazine pages MrNiceButDim 02 Sep 02:01
2017-08-30 01:04:43 UTC (over 6 years ago)
postings

I'm totally inexperienced with GIMP but I chanced upon this recipe that would meet my needs for a rather big project I'm currently doing. It's about cleaning scanned magazine pages where the print on the back side shines through the thin paper making the reading less enjoyable.

Recipe:

With GIMP:

Open a file.

Convert your document to grayscale: Image - Mode - Grayscale.

Select the background color: Select - By Color, click with mouse pointer on the color of the background.

Invert the selected color: Select - Invert.

Copy the selection: Edit - Copy.

Create a new file: File - New.

In the dialog of a new file, in field: Advanced Options choose: Fill with: White, hit Ok.

Click anywhere in the window of the new opened document, just to choose it.

Paste the content of a clipboard: Edit - Paste.

Add a new layer to enhance the black text: Layer - New from Visible, in the layer's palette, in field: Mode: choose Multiply.

Combine two layers: Layer - Merge Down.

Save the result as a JPEG file: File - Export As, choose jpeg and set the quality at least 60.

I have a couple of questions.

A. When getting to "Combine two layers: Layer - Merge Down." the Merge Down option is grayed out so I can't apply that step.

What could be the reason? And why does it say "Combine two layers" when there is three?

1.Floated selection (Pasted Layer)

2.Visible

3.Background

B. When selecting a background color to be erased/turned to white what would be the best way to pick a wider range of grayness than the rather sparse instruction the recipe suggests "By Color, click with mouse pointer on the color of the background."

Rick Strong
2017-09-01 01:25:49 UTC (over 6 years ago)

In addition to what you suggest, you might also try putting a sheet of black paper under the magazine page you are scanning (between the pages). The scanner may give you a better starting image. This has worked for me countless times over the years.

Rick S.

-----Original Message----- From: MrNiceButDim
Sent: Tuesday, August 29, 2017 9:04 PM To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
Cc: notifications@gimpusers.com
Subject: [Gimp-user] Cleaning scanned magazine pages

I'm totally inexperienced with GIMP but I chanced upon this recipe that would
meet my needs for a rather big project I'm currently doing. It's about cleaning
scanned magazine pages where the print on the back side shines through the thin
paper making the reading less enjoyable.

Recipe:

With GIMP:

Open a file.

Convert your document to grayscale: Image - Mode - Grayscale.

Select the background color: Select - By Color, click with mouse pointer on the color of the background.

Invert the selected color: Select - Invert.

Copy the selection: Edit - Copy.

Create a new file: File - New.

In the dialog of a new file, in field: Advanced Options choose: Fill with: White, hit Ok.

Click anywhere in the window of the new opened document, just to choose it.

Paste the content of a clipboard: Edit - Paste.

Add a new layer to enhance the black text: Layer - New from Visible, in the layer's palette, in field: Mode: choose Multiply.

Combine two layers: Layer - Merge Down.

Save the result as a JPEG file: File - Export As, choose jpeg and set the quality at least 60.

I have a couple of questions.

A. When getting to "Combine two layers: Layer - Merge Down." the Merge Down option is grayed out so I can't apply that step.

What could be the reason? And why does it say "Combine two layers" when there is
three?

1.Floated selection (Pasted Layer)

2.Visible

3.Background

B. When selecting a background color to be erased/turned to white what would be
the best way to pick a wider range of grayness than the rather sparse instruction the recipe suggests "By Color, click with mouse pointer on the color
of the background."

MrNiceButDim (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)
2017-09-02 02:01:28 UTC (over 6 years ago)
postings

In addition to what you suggest, you might also try putting a sheet of black paper under the magazine page you are scanning (between the pages). The scanner may give you a better starting image. This has worked for me countless times over the years.

Rick S.

What an extraordinary suggestion, never heard about this before. I have ordered black sheets although it will take five days for them to be delivered.

I must say I have mixed feeling about this. Brilliant if it works but it also means I have to scan every page again.

Well, we'll see. I'll report back when it's been tested.

Thank you, Rick.