RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Help with Transparency layering

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Help with Transparency layering ZevVeli 10 Jul 13:40
  Help with Transparency layering rich2005 10 Jul 15:09
   Help with Transparency layering ZevVeli 10 Jul 18:48
2017-07-10 13:40:41 UTC (over 6 years ago)
postings

Okay, not sure if this is the right forum for this, but I'm trying to do some coloring on a greyscale image. Now, I know how to apply a transparency, and select down so that the new layer is only taking the opaque area that I am working with, but I'm trying to figure out how to eliminate the selection I've colored in from further layers. Or in other words: I have colored in say, the skin, of my image, now I want to create a new layer keeping my prior transparencies but without the skin that I have already covered, that way I don't accidentally color over the skin while applying color to the figure's hair or clothing.

rich2005
2017-07-10 15:09:00 UTC (over 6 years ago)

Okay, not sure if this is the right forum for this, but I'm trying to do some coloring on a greyscale image. Now, I know how to apply a transparency, and select down so that the new layer is only taking the opaque area that I am working with, but I'm trying to figure out how to eliminate the selection I've colored in from further layers. Or in other words: I have colored in say, the skin, of my image, now I want to create a new layer keeping my prior transparencies but without the skin that I have already covered, that way I don't accidentally color over the skin while applying color to the figure's hair or clothing.

Just a suggestion, probably more work than you are planning on.

Use layermasks, one for each major colour. Black layer mask and paint in it in white - this is your selection.

Paint in the associated layer to add details. The great thing about layer masks is they are non destructive, go back and adjust any time you like.

quick example shown and gimp xcfgz attached.

Alternatives.

Any selection can be saved as a channel to be called back at a later date.

The Gimp plug-in g'mic www.gmic.eu has an excellant filters to colorize grayscale photographs. That does the hard work using color swatches, leaving touch-up to you.

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

2017-07-10 18:48:32 UTC (over 6 years ago)
postings

Thank you, but I figured out a way based on the more simple needs I have. By copying and Merging layers I am able to systematically remove the parts I don't want to paint over. Thank you for your help though.