RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

invert not working

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

invert not working remadepreacher 22 Jun 05:21
  invert not working rich2005 22 Jun 08:13
   invert not working remadepreacher 22 Jun 10:32
    invert not working rich2005 22 Jun 11:46
2017-06-22 05:21:37 UTC (almost 7 years ago)
postings

invert not working

New to Gimp. I have 2.8.22. I have two projects. 1. I simply want to invert a photo. I was given it by a book designer for my book cover. I had no problem cropping an edge for the spine in Photos and now want to invert it to match the front cover. I tried selecting all and then 3 different ways to invert. None have any effect, except to add "remove invert" to edit. I exported the photo, just to be sure — not inverted. Next, I tried adding a layer, then invert — no effect. 2. I wanted to try Liquid rescale to extend a background. As I'm using OS X, Wikidots says it should be already in my layer menu — it's not.

Closing gimp, opening and trying again for either — no effect.

rich2005
2017-06-22 08:13:35 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

invert not working

New to Gimp. I have 2.8.22. I have two projects. 1. I simply want to invert a photo.

You need to define 'invert' I think of inverting the colours, but you might mean rotating 180 degrees or 'flipping' ie mirroring the image, all different tools.

2. I wanted to try Liquid rescale to extend a background. As I'm using OS X, Wikidots says it should be already in my layer menu — it's not.

For OSX (not the best of operating systems for Gimp) it depends on the Gimp package you installed. Liquid Rescale is normally a separate plugin, that you might compile/install yourself. I think the OSX version from www.partha.com might include it.

The are various ways of 'extending' a background. It all depends on the image. Plain colour background? Very complicated background? Lots of colours? Greyscale image? You need to give details of the 'photo'

Closing gimp, opening and trying again for either — no effect.

It is not Gimp, it is user inexperience. Gimp is a complicated application with a steep learning curve. You are not going to become an expert overnight.

2017-06-22 10:32:36 UTC (almost 7 years ago)
postings

invert not working

Thanks for answering, Rich. I very much realize I have much to learn to use Gimp. I have used Photoshop a bit, by getting the free trial a couple of times. Inverts basic meaning, to turn in, is actually very similar to flip, the movement can be horizontal or vertical, e.g. to invert a series of numbers is to put them in the opposite order. If there had been any visual difference when I applied invert, I would have seen I needed something else (why it seems to do nothing still puzzles me). I do indeed mean to mirror the image. I looked up flip, saw the next step to take and had success, thanks.

The image I want to extend the background on is complicated — a blacksmith in front of a large forge. For the image to work, the fire needs to stay the size it is, while extending everything else. This would enable type to be more easily read — around the fire, instead of across it. It looked do-able using LqR. Thanks for a possible other source. I gathered there is another, more complicated way to accomplish the feat but LqR appeared pretty simple to use for this.

rich2005
2017-06-22 11:46:40 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

invert not working

Thanks for answering, Rich. I very much realize I have much to learn to use Gimp. I have used Photoshop a bit, by getting the free trial a couple of times. Inverts basic meaning, to turn in, is actually very similar to flip, the movement can be horizontal or vertical, e.g. to invert a series of numbers is to put them in the opposite order. If there had been any visual difference when I applied invert, I would have seen I needed something else (why it seems to do nothing still puzzles me). I do indeed mean to mirror the image. I looked up flip, saw the next step to take and had success, thanks.

The image I want to extend the background on is complicated — a blacksmith in front of a large forge. For the image to work, the fire needs to stay the size it is, while extending everything else. This would enable type to be more easily read — around the fire, instead of across it. It looked do-able using LqR. Thanks for a possible other source. I gathered there is another, more complicated way to accomplish the feat but LqR appeared pretty simple to use for this.

With a small image (credits on the image) plucked from the internet flipping an image is straightforward

see: http://i.imgur.com/q1NHxFx.jpg

1. Use the flip tool

2. Make sure you are on the active layer with **No** active selection.

3. Need to be on the layer mode and select either Horizontal or vertical

4. Probably the bit you are missing, click on the canvas to implement.

gives this http://i.imgur.com/sB48eLV.jpg
Just a caveat, I use linux so I cannot demo anything 'Mac' However I can do a little research and the McGimp 2.8.14 from www.partha.com does include many extras including the liquid-rescale plugin. Worth trying because it also includes other scripts and plugins such as heal-selection.

In my linux Gimp using liquid rescale might go something like this

http://i.imgur.com/th7NuUv.jpg giving this http://i.imgur.com/qC2Qr3T.jpg

It all depends on the image and the amount of re-sizing. For small-ish amounts, sometimes possible to re-size the canvas, copy and paste a strip back in and a bit touching up.

quick try: http://i.imgur.com/8g5qbzz.jpg Again, no hard and fast rules, all depends on the image/requirements.

rich: www.gimp-forum.net