RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Gimp does not recognize - will not open NEF Raw files from a Nikon D5500 Camera

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

1422558426.303113.149729771... 12 Jun 20:02
  Gimp does not recognize - will not open NEF Raw files from a Nikon D5500 Camera Chuck Devlin via gimp-user-list 12 Jun 20:01
   Gimp does not recognize - will not open NEF Raw files from a Nikon D5500 Camera Michael Schumacher 12 Jun 20:10
   Gimp does not recognize - will not open NEF Raw files from a Nikon D5500 Camera Guy Stalnaker 12 Jun 20:36
   Gimp does not recognize - will not open NEF Raw files from a Nikon D5500 Camera Pat David 13 Jun 14:58
Chuck Devlin via gimp-user-list
2017-06-12 20:01:56 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

I sent an email the other day covering this topic, but did not properly explain my situation.1. I use Nikon's free VIEWNX 2 viewer to perform basic editing functions on NEF files.  Works well and am pleased with it.2. However, I want to be able to perform advanced editing functions that VIEWNX 2 does not support, but GIMP and Lightroom 6 apparently do support;   They are:     a. Perform batch processing:  Edit one of several pictures then combine the edits to the other pictures.     b. Do Layering / Masking:  Want to do this to perform the following:          b1. Create a long exposure during the daytime without using ND filters.          b2. Create HDR pictures by combining bracketed pictures.So far the replies indicate GIMP cannot handle Nikon's NEF raw files.  Is anyone aware of a work around for this in GIMP, or do I have to pay about $142.00 for Lightroom 6 which apparently can handle the NEF file format? I do appreciate the previous replies and will appreciate any reply to this email.Thanks:Chuck Devlincfdevlin01@yahoo.com

Michael Schumacher
2017-06-12 20:10:01 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

On 06/12/2017 10:01 PM, Chuck Devlin via gimp-user-list wrote:

Is anyone aware of a work around for this in GIMP, or do I have to pay about $142.00 for Lightroom 6 which apparently can handle the NEF file format?

Several Raw processing applications have been suggested in the replies to your previous message. Is there a reason why you can't use any of them?

Regards,
Michael
GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD
Guy Stalnaker
2017-06-12 20:36:30 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

Chuck,

I do not think that Lightroom has layers (as I recall from using it, though I'm not at home where I can open it and see) so this may be an issue for you. I checked as well using
https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/user-guide.html and looked for layers without success; if you type "layer" in the search box, you'll get results from all of Adobe's products, and they are all Photoshop.

GIMP will allow you to do HDR (some basic options on the Color menu) and blended images among may other things. Don't get hung up on the fact that GIMP won't natively open raw camera images, neither does Photoshop (it uses CameraRaw, a stand-alone application that is well integrated so it appears like it's Photoshop when it's not).

The workflow for using a raw processor like RawTherapee is fairly standard -- open raw file in raw processor, make adjustments to white point, etc (the kinds of adjustments on GIMP's Color menu), save as image file (like TIF), open image file in GIMP (RawTherapee has an setting for specifying an application one can use for this purpose, so setting it to your GIMP install means you don't even have to first run GIMP then go find the file), do whatever you want with it.

I think you'd like the combination of RawTherapee and GIMP, they are both incredible applications not the least of which is that they are free.

Regards,

Guy

Guy Stalnaker jimmyg521@gmail.com

On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 3:01 PM, Chuck Devlin via gimp-user-list < gimp-user-list@gnome.org> wrote:

I sent an email the other day covering this topic, but did not properly explain my situation.1. I use Nikon's free VIEWNX 2 viewer to perform basic editing functions on NEF files. Works well and am pleased with it.2. However, I want to be able to perform advanced editing functions that VIEWNX 2 does not support, but GIMP and Lightroom 6 apparently do support; They are: a. Perform batch processing: Edit one of several pictures then combine the edits to the other pictures. b. Do Layering / Masking: Want to do this to perform the following: b1. Create a long exposure during the daytime without using ND filters. b2. Create HDR pictures by combining bracketed pictures.So far the replies indicate GIMP cannot handle Nikon's NEF raw files. Is anyone aware of a work around for this in GIMP, or do I have to pay about $142.00 for Lightroom 6 which apparently can handle the NEF file format? I do appreciate the previous replies and will appreciate any reply to this email.Thanks:Chuck Devlincfdevlin01@yahoo.com

_______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

Pat David
2017-06-13 14:58:37 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

I answered on the previous thread, but I'll address your specific concerns here.

2a: batch processing - the other mentioned raw processors support this (RawTherapee for instance) no problem.

2b: I don't think LR does layering/masking - maybe local edits at best for some small things. GIMP does support layering, of course.

2b1: long exposure during the daytime w/o using ND filters can be done by mean averaging the frames (
https://patdavid.net/2013/09/faking-nd-filter-for-long-exposure.html).

2b2: If you want to create an actual HDR image, you'll need something like LuminanceHDR or HDRMerge to create them (and then something to tonemap them into a range you can see - likely LuminanceHDR for that).

You can spend $142 for LR if you want, up to you. I'd personally recommend you take a little bit of time playing with the other projects first. Chances are quite good they'll do exactly what you want. If you want to ask questions, we have a community of Free Software photographers over at https://pixls.us to address specific concerns and questions, and to generally help out.

pat

On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 3:02 PM Chuck Devlin via gimp-user-list < gimp-user-list@gnome.org> wrote:

I sent an email the other day covering this topic, but did not properly explain my situation.1. I use Nikon's free VIEWNX 2 viewer to perform basic editing functions on NEF files. Works well and am pleased with it.2. However, I want to be able to perform advanced editing functions that VIEWNX 2 does not support, but GIMP and Lightroom 6 apparently do support; They are: a. Perform batch processing: Edit one of several pictures then combine the edits to the other pictures. b. Do Layering / Masking: Want to do this to perform the following: b1. Create a long exposure during the daytime without using ND filters. b2. Create HDR pictures by combining bracketed pictures.So far the replies indicate GIMP cannot handle Nikon's NEF raw files. Is anyone aware of a work around for this in GIMP, or do I have to pay about $142.00 for Lightroom 6 which apparently can handle the NEF file format? I do appreciate the previous replies and will appreciate any reply to this email.Thanks:Chuck Devlincfdevlin01@yahoo.com

_______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

https://patdavid.net
GPG: 66D1 7CA6 8088 4874 946D  18BD 67C7 6219 89E9 57AC