RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Difficulty getting GIMP up and running after reinstalling

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Difficulty getting GIMP up and running after reinstalling Austin Ng 11 Jun 02:44
  Difficulty getting GIMP up and running after reinstalling Michael Schumacher 12 Jun 19:41
Austin Ng
2017-06-11 02:44:05 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

Hey all,

Today I was trying to install a plugin for GIMP. Specifically, the one that allows you to see and work with DDS files. I was following the instructions here: http://itstillworks.com/install-dds-plugin-gimp-8340559.html

However, I had extreme difficulty finding the folder for GIMP. After a little bit of searching I discovered that back when I first downloaded GIMP, I had done so through a bitorrent (specifically, Vuze). To be safe, I deleted/got rid of the files with GIMP and did a redownload. However, theres no shortcut for the new GIMP to be started. I looked under C->Program Files -> GIMP 2, but was not able to find the bin\gimp-2.8.exe that my searching on Google seems to imply is needed to launch GIMP.

I am becoming extremely frustrated by both the difficulty encountered and the lack of resources to solve the issue at hand. I am not sure whether my deletion and reinstallation of GIMP inadvertently caused any of these problems to be caused in the first place. What do you recommend I do to solve the issue?

All help is appreciated in advance.

Thanks,

Austin

Michael Schumacher
2017-06-12 19:41:58 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

On 06/11/2017 04:44 AM, Austin Ng wrote:

However, I had extreme difficulty finding the folder for GIMP. After a little bit of searching I discovered that back when I first downloaded GIMP, I had done so through a bitorrent (specifically, Vuze). To be safe, I deleted/got rid of the files with GIMP and did a redownload. However, theres no shortcut for the new GIMP to be started. I looked under C->Program Files -> GIMP 2, but was not able to find the bin\gimp-2.8.exe that my searching on Google seems to imply is needed to launch GIMP.

This is the same issue as in

https://www.reddit.com/r/GIMP/comments/6gj0ed/redownloaded_gimp_to_try_to_get_a_plugin_working/

, I assume.

Can you try what I suggested there?

Regards,
Michael
GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD