RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Help with Cropping

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

26 of 26 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Help with Cropping meathie 22 May 04:49
  Help with Cropping rich2005 22 May 07:25
  Help with Cropping rich2005 22 May 07:40
   Help with Cropping meathie 22 May 14:25
    Help with Cropping meathie 23 May 00:18
     Help with Cropping meathie 23 May 04:46
      Help with Cropping meathie 23 May 04:55
       Help with Cropping rich2005 23 May 08:20
        Help with Cropping meathie 24 May 04:12
         Help with Cropping SayCheeze 24 May 23:47
          Help with Cropping meathie 25 May 00:06
           Help with Cropping rich2005 25 May 07:44
          Help with Cropping Michael Schumacher 25 May 08:16
           Help with Cropping SayCheeze 25 May 11:51
            Help with Cropping Patrick Shanahan 25 May 21:14
             Help with Cropping SayCheeze 26 May 00:28
              Help with Cropping Pat David 26 May 00:34
               Help with Cropping SayCheeze 26 May 01:02
                Help with Cropping Patrick Shanahan 26 May 03:41
                 Help with Cropping Rick Strong 26 May 05:38
                  Help with Cropping Patrick Shanahan 26 May 12:01
                 Help with Cropping SayCheeze 26 May 11:30
                  Help with Cropping Patrick Shanahan 26 May 12:07
                   Help with Cropping Michael Schumacher 26 May 12:11
            Help with Cropping Rick Strong 25 May 21:56
             Help with Cropping Kevin Cozens 26 May 02:28
2017-05-22 04:49:48 UTC (almost 7 years ago)
postings

Help with Cropping

Hi I would love some help with this one please.

I am trying to do a simple crop to 8*10 in GIMP I have attached a graphic of the settings

Fixed is unchecked Size set to inches

I am selecting the rough area that I want. I am then putting the dimension into the size variables and then GIMP changes the values.

I would love so help on this please it is driving me nuts!

rich2005
2017-05-22 07:25:04 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

Help with Cropping

Hi I would love some help with this one please.

I am trying to do a simple crop to 8*10 in GIMP I have attached a graphic of the settings

Fixed is unchecked Size set to inches

I am selecting the rough area that I want. I am then putting the dimension into the size variables and then GIMP changes the values.

I would love so help on this please it is driving me nuts!

Remember that Gimp is a raster editor and works internally with pixels and not real-world units.

However, you are using inches. In the crop tool options

Ignore the fixed option, that works with pixels.

Make a crop area on the canvas, anywhere, any size.

1. Position; set the values to 0 , 0 Click in the little box and you can edit these values.

2. Size: Set the units to inches in the drop down box

3. Size: Set the Size to 8 and 10.

The crop adjusts as screenshot 1.

4. With the crop tool still active, click in the canvas and move the crop area as required.

screenshot 2

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

rich2005
2017-05-22 07:40:19 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

Help with Cropping

edit:

That is why I suggested setting the origin to 0 , 0

If the extent of the crop area is outside the canvas, then the crop size value is adjusted accordingly.

2017-05-22 14:25:27 UTC (almost 7 years ago)
postings

Help with Cropping

edit:
That is why I suggested setting the origin to 0 , 0

If the extent of the crop area is outside the canvas, then the crop size value is adjusted accordingly.

Richie....Thank you so much, it all make perfect sense now. Thank you

2017-05-23 00:18:38 UTC (almost 7 years ago)
postings

Help with Cropping

Richie....Thank you so much, it all make perfect sense now. Thank you

Rich2005, while that all makes very good sense to me I am still having the same issue. The image was taken with a Cannon 7D DSLR so I find it hard to understand why the image is so small that I can not crop it to an 8*10 .

Any ideas?

2017-05-23 04:46:18 UTC (almost 7 years ago)
postings

Help with Cropping

Rich2005, while that all makes very good sense to me I am still having the same issue. The image was taken with a Cannon 7D DSLR so I find it hard to understand why the image is so small that I can not crop it to an 8*10 .

Any ideas?

Upon further investigation (changing the ruler measurement to inches) it appears that the size of the file is less than an inch in each direction.

Does this mean that I need to scale it before I crop?

Matt

2017-05-23 04:55:26 UTC (almost 7 years ago)
postings

Help with Cropping

Upon further investigation (changing the ruler measurement to inches) it appears that the size of the file is less than an inch in each direction.

Does this mean that I need to scale it before I crop?

Matt

I tried to scale it got nothing, then I thought that maybe I need to scale the canvas first so i tried that but it would only let me scale to 4.somthing inches.

All I want to do is produce a photo that will fit into an 8*10 frame...one frustrated user ;-)

Matt

rich2005
2017-05-23 08:20:07 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

Help with Cropping

The image was taken with a Cannon 7D DSLR so I find it hard to understand why the image is so small that I can not crop it to an 8*10 .

That camera has a 18MP sensor and should produce images around the 5000 x 3600 pixel mark. Of course you can set a camera up to take much smaller sizes but my guess is you have got a built-in thumbnail rather than the actual image. What format is the image, jpeg or RAW (.CRW .CR2)?

If the image format is RAW then use the Canon software that comes with the camera to convert it for editing. There are plugins for Gimp that handle RAW images but the camera makers software will be best.

The attached screenshot is my 18MP lumix. The important bit is the size in pixels at the top. Then go into Image -> Print Size and see what it says there. Come back and give the equivalent values of your image.

All I want to do is produce a photo that will fit into an 8*10 frame...one frustrated user ;-)

I could write a 1000 words on this but I am not going to. This little video shows it all in 4 minutes.

https://youtu.be/UuvsAT9rQ08

2017-05-24 04:12:53 UTC (almost 7 years ago)
postings

Help with Cropping

That camera has a 18MP sensor and should produce images around the 5000 x 3600 pixel mark. Of course you can set a camera up to take much smaller sizes but my guess is you have got a built-in thumbnail rather than the actual image. What format is the image, jpeg or RAW (.CRW .CR2)?

If the image format is RAW then use the Canon software that comes with the camera to convert it for editing. There are plugins for Gimp that handle RAW images but the camera makers software will be best. The attached screenshot is my 18MP lumix. The important bit is the size in pixels at the top. Then go into Image -> Print Size and see what it says there. Come back and give the equivalent values of your image.
I could write a 1000 words on this but I am not going to. This little video shows it all in 4 minutes.

https://youtu.be/UuvsAT9rQ08

Thank you I will have a look at the video and get back to you. I really appreciate it.

Matt

2017-05-24 23:47:37 UTC (almost 7 years ago)
postings

Help with Cropping

Thank you I will have a look at the video and get back to you. I really appreciate it.

Matt

another frustrated new user here on this whole cropping thing.

in photoshop i throw in 8x10 @ 200, use the crop tool, and what do you know. I get a 8x10 crop @ 200

what's the deal with gimp? I mean what am I missing here...?

I watched the vid. first off he changes the ruler sizing to inches with some feature below, which I don't have. then he goes into print size?

I can't afford to do all these steps on hundreds of images for a catalog.

is there anyway, I can place YxZ and get an 8x10, or 11x14 without jumping through hoops?

2017-05-25 00:06:59 UTC (almost 7 years ago)
postings

Help with Cropping

in photoshop i throw in 8x10 @ 200, use the crop tool, and what do you know. I get a 8x10 crop @ 200

I watched the vid. first off he changes the ruler sizing to inches with some feature below, which I don't have. then he goes into print size?

is there anyway, I can place YxZ and get an 8x10, or 11x14 without jumping through hoops?

I sympathize with you SayCheeze, I have not found the solution to the issue as yet. However stay posted you never know what we may find ;-)

rich2005
2017-05-25 07:44:52 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

Help with Cropping

@SayCheeze

Do not expect Gimp to work the same way as PS. The Gimp crop tool fixed size options work in pixels. If you want 200 ppi set the size to 1600 x 2000 pix. Otherwise use the print size dialogue.

Believe me you do have that feature, not my fault if you can not be bothered to find out how Gimp works.

Then go back and use what you are comfortable with.

The only hoops are in your mind.

@meathie

I sympathize with you SayCheeze, I have not found the solution to the issue as yet. However stay posted you never know what we may find ;-)

You still have not given the image dimensions in pixels yet. Not difficult. It is at the **top of the image window**

From your posts, best guess is still you have opened a thumbnail instead of the full image. Can happen with Canon .CR files. especially if they are corrupted somehow.

But...I am sure someone will come up with better solutions for both of you. Best of luck.

Michael Schumacher
2017-05-25 08:16:39 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

Help with Cropping

On 05/25/2017 01:47 AM, SayCheeze wrote:

8"x10" at 200 ppi is 1600 x 2000 pixels.

If you can crop the image to this size and get what you want, you do not need additional steps.

If you do - i.e. if a 1600x2000 crop does not match up with what you want to crop out of the original image - then a scale will become necessary.

Can you provide a sample image and mark the area you want to retain after the crop?

I watched the vid. first off he changes the ruler sizing to inches with some feature below, which I don't have.

There is an unit drop-down list in the image window status bar - check the View menu. This can also be set in GIMP's preferences.

then he goes into print size?

Maybe to adjust the image resolution.

Regards,
Michael
GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD
2017-05-25 11:51:39 UTC (almost 7 years ago)
postings

Help with Cropping

If you can crop the image to this size and get what you want, you do not
need additional steps.

If you do - i.e. if a 1600x2000 crop does not match up with what you want to crop out of the original image - then a scale will become necessary.

Can you provide a sample image and mark the area you want to retain after the crop?
There is an unit drop-down list in the image window status bar - check the View menu. This can also be set in GIMP's preferences. Maybe to adjust the image resolution.

Hello Micheal. I'll look into GIMP later today, when I get to the studio. So from what I've read, I have to convert what I want the end result to be, i.e. size crop and dpi to pixels, and use that number to achieve the desired size crop?

I can provide a sample image but of course they would all vary on the end target with regard to a crop. My editing for my images are relatively minimal in nature.

I crop 8x10 Tweak contrast if desired
I use the gradient tool [foreground to transparent] in all 4 corners usually I sharpen them
Save to .jpg for my lab to print proofs.

Done.

I guess I can make up a cheat sheet and stick it on the wall for all my usual crops for orders to determine pixel count.

16x20's 11x14's
8x10's
5x7's
4x5's
etc...

Patrick Shanahan
2017-05-25 21:14:07 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

Help with Cropping

* SayCheeze [05-25-17 16:52]:

need additional steps.

There is an unit drop-down list in the image window status bar - check the View menu. This can also be set in GIMP's preferences. Maybe to adjust the image resolution.

Hello Micheal. I'll look into GIMP later today, when I get to the studio. So from what I've read, I have to convert what I want the end result to be, i.e. size crop and dpi to pixels, and use that number to achieve the desired size crop?

I can provide a sample image but of course they would all vary on the end target with regard to a crop. My editing for my images are relatively minimal in nature.

I crop 8x10
Tweak contrast if desired
I use the gradient tool [foreground to transparent] in all 4 corners usually I sharpen them

Done.

I guess I can make up a cheat sheet and stick it on the wall for all my usual crops for orders to determine pixel count.

16x20's 11x14's
8x10's
5x7's
4x5's
etc...

or you could use ratio for crop parameters

amazing you want to use a tool but are not really interested in learning how it work to the point of berating it comparing to an app you did bother to learn to use.

(paka)Patrick Shanahan       Plainfield, Indiana, USA          @ptilopteri
http://en.opensuse.org    openSUSE Community Member    facebook/ptilopteri
Registered Linux User #207535                    @ http://linuxcounter.net
Photos: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/piwigo
Rick Strong
2017-05-25 21:56:51 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

Help with Cropping

You CAN work in inches and your title bar can be changed to show the original size in inches.
No need to work in pixels.
See attached jpgs.
Of course, small photos have to be scaled up to get larger sizes. GIMP scales up quite nicely.

Rick S.

-----Original Message----- From: SayCheeze
Sent: Thursday, May 25, 2017 7:51 AM To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
Cc: notifications@gimpusers.com
Subject: [Gimp-user] Help with Cropping

need additional steps.

Hello Micheal. I'll look into GIMP later today, when I get to the studio. So
from what I've read, I have to convert what I want the end result to be, i.e.
size crop and dpi to pixels, and use that number to achieve the desired size crop?

I can provide a sample image but of course they would all vary on the end target
with regard to a crop. My editing for my images are relatively minimal in nature.

I crop 8x10
Tweak contrast if desired
I use the gradient tool [foreground to transparent] in all 4 corners usually
I sharpen them

Done.

I guess I can make up a cheat sheet and stick it on the wall for all my usual
crops for orders to determine pixel count.

16x20's 11x14's
8x10's
5x7's
4x5's
etc...

SayCheeze (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)
2017-05-26 00:28:30 UTC (almost 7 years ago)
postings

Help with Cropping

amazing you want to use a tool but are not really interested in learning
how it work to the point of berating it comparing to an app you did bother
to learn to use.

Berating? No where close.

This program just isn't that user intuitive. Maybe because all I've ever used is PS for editing.

Since my edits are very minimal, it's driving me up the wall in trying to figure out how to get a standard crop size with a specific dpi.

I'll get it sooner or later. PS is the only thing keeping me in a windows environment, or should I say editing my work is keeping me in that windows world. I run linux at home on my laptop, but at the studio, it's still a windows world because of my editing.

Pat David
2017-05-26 00:34:08 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

Help with Cropping

Are you certain you need a _specific_ dpi? Or is something _close_ ok? If so, I'd honestly just constrain the select tool to a ratio for your intended image size (8:10, 24:16, etc) and crop to suit tastes. On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 7:30 PM SayCheeze wrote:

amazing you want to use a tool but are not really interested in learning
how it work to the point of berating it comparing to an app you did bother
to learn to use.

Berating? No where close.

This program just isn't that user intuitive. Maybe because all I've ever used
is PS for editing.

Since my edits are very minimal, it's driving me up the wall in trying to figure
out how to get a standard crop size with a specific dpi.

I'll get it sooner or later. PS is the only thing keeping me in a windows environment, or should I say editing my work is keeping me in that windows world. I run linux at home on my laptop, but at the studio, it's still a windows world because of my editing.

-- SayCheeze (via www.gimpusers.com/forums) _______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

https://patdavid.net
GPG: 66D1 7CA6 8088 4874 946D  18BD 67C7 6219 89E9 57AC
2017-05-26 01:02:43 UTC (almost 7 years ago)
postings

Help with Cropping

Are you certain you need a _specific_ dpi? Or is something _close_ ok? If
so, I'd honestly just constrain the select tool to a ratio for your intended image size (8:10, 24:16, etc) and crop to suit tastes.

Hello Pat. My lab likes the images cropped at 200 dpi. when I'm working on catalog work, they want 11x14@300 dpi.

My day to day work for prints for homes is 200 dpi.

Kevin Cozens
2017-05-26 02:28:21 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

Help with Cropping

On 2017-05-25 08:28 PM, SayCheeze wrote:

Since my edits are very minimal, it's driving me up the wall in trying to figure out how to get a standard crop size with a specific dpi.

Earlier messages referenced a Canon digital camera, IIRC. I also saw a reference to the images showing up as very small when the pictures were loaded in to GIMP. That tells me that the camera images you are trying to load are in RAW format but you don't have a plug-in in GIMP that will let it read files in that format.

What you are seeing are the thumbnails of the RAW files. You need to install a plug-in for GIMP to let it read RAW files. You can install either dcraw or ufraw plug-in to let GIMP read the files. If you can't find either of those plug-ins you will need to convert the files in to a format that GIMP can read before you try loading them in GIMP.

Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.ve3syb.ca/           |"Nerds make the shiny things that distract
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172      | the mouth-breathers, and that's why we're
                                 | powerful!"
#include  |             --Chris Hardwick
Patrick Shanahan
2017-05-26 03:41:30 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

Help with Cropping

* SayCheeze [05-25-17 21:07]:

Are you certain you need a _specific_ dpi? Or is something _close_ ok? If
so, I'd honestly just constrain the select tool to a ratio for your intended image size (8:10, 24:16, etc) and crop to suit tastes.

Hello Pat. My lab likes the images cropped at 200 dpi. when I'm working on catalog work, they want 11x14@300 dpi.

Maybe you should rethink. dpi is a printer term, not a quality term for an image. dpi represents the number of ink dots a printer places on paper. pixels per inch would be a measure of quality of an image.

Photos: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/piwigo
Rick Strong
2017-05-26 05:38:58 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

Help with Cropping

This is splitting hairs.
DPI is the term used by professional graphic designers when speccing for print reproduction, even though the "dots" in DPI may be made up of clusters of pixels. It harkens back to linescreens.

Rick S.

-----Original Message----- From: Patrick Shanahan
Sent: Thursday, May 25, 2017 11:41 PM To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Help with Cropping ...

Maybe you should rethink. dpi is a printer term, not a quality term for an image. dpi represents the number of ink dots a printer places on paper. pixels per inch would be a measure of quality of an image.

(paka)Patrick Shanahan       Plainfield, Indiana, USA
2017-05-26 11:30:19 UTC (almost 7 years ago)
postings

Help with Cropping

Maybe you should rethink. dpi is a printer term, not a quality term for
an image. dpi represents the number of ink dots a printer places on paper. pixels per inch would be a measure of quality of an image.

Sure,,, I understand that. My lab, who is a printer requires 200 dpi.

Patrick Shanahan
2017-05-26 12:01:43 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

Help with Cropping

* Rick Strong [05-26-17 01:39]:

This is splitting hairs.
DPI is the term used by professional graphic designers when speccing for print reproduction, even though the "dots" in DPI may be made up of clusters of pixels. It harkens back to linescreens.

Rick S.

-----Original Message----- From: Patrick Shanahan Sent: Thursday, May 25, 2017 11:41 PM To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Help with Cropping ...

Maybe you should rethink. dpi is a printer term, not a quality term for an image. dpi represents the number of ink dots a printer places on paper. pixels per inch would be a measure of quality of an image. --
(paka)Patrick Shanahan Plainfield, Indiana, USA

then perhaps you should describe using correct terms so understanding is more definitive. even adobe now uses the correct terms when describing cropping on their web-site.

and then users incorrectly describing their problems would have a better understanding and start providing better descriptions leading to better and/or more precise solutions.

a white horse is not black even though it is just the hair, or could that be called splitting

Photos: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/piwigo		    paka @ IRCnet freenode
Patrick Shanahan
2017-05-26 12:07:50 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

Help with Cropping

* SayCheeze [05-26-17 07:54]:

Maybe you should rethink. dpi is a printer term, not a quality term for
an image. dpi represents the number of ink dots a printer places on paper. pixels per inch would be a measure of quality of an image.

Sure,,, I understand that. My lab, who is a printer requires 200 dpi.

from their printers which *they* control, not you. an image does not present dots per inch and you cannot give them something not existing. if you/they are actually referring to pixels, ppi, use the correct term and use it to describe the crop area of the image. that capability *is* provided by gimp and will lead you to less confusion.

also when describing a problem, using the wrong terms leads to incorrect assumptions for those attempting to provide you a solution.

Photos: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/piwigo		    paka @ IRCnet freenode
Michael Schumacher
2017-05-26 12:11:05 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

Help with Cropping

On 05/26/2017 02:07 PM, Patrick Shanahan wrote:

also when describing a problem, using the wrong terms leads to incorrect assumptions for those attempting to provide you a solution.

At least some of those attempting to provide a solution have a pretty good idea what the task is about, are also GIMP developers and don't think these interruptions are overly helpful.

Regards,
Michael
GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD