RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Using the Gradient tool

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

8 of 8 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Using the Gradient tool SayCheeze 13 May 17:39
  Using the Gradient tool rich2005 13 May 19:26
   Using the Gradient tool SayCheeze 13 May 19:30
    Using the Gradient tool SayCheeze 24 May 00:23
     Using the Gradient tool Owen 24 May 01:18
     Using the Gradient tool rich2005 24 May 15:07
     Using the Gradient tool Ofnuts 24 May 16:22
      Using the Gradient tool SayCheeze 24 May 23:09
2017-05-13 17:39:41 UTC (almost 7 years ago)
postings

Using the Gradient tool

I'm locked into Photoshop until I can figure out how to use the gradient tool. I shoot catalog work, and I want to use GIMP and the Linux platform. However PS has me locked into the windows world.

I shoot everything on a white background. Sometimes it's not as white as I want, and I need to tweak the corners. In PS I use the gradient tool, in the fashion of ForeGround [white] to transparent at around 75% opacity.

I allows me to add a bit of white in the corners by dragging from the outside of the image to just inside it.

How can this be done efficiently using GIMP. Minimal steps required is a bonus.

Thank you

rich2005
2017-05-13 19:26:13 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

Using the Gradient tool

I'm locked into Photoshop until I can figure out how to use the gradient tool. I shoot catalog work, and I want to use GIMP and the Linux platform. However PS has me locked into the windows world.

I shoot everything on a white background. Sometimes it's not as white as I want, and I need to tweak the corners. In PS I use the gradient tool, in the fashion of ForeGround [white] to transparent at around 75% opacity.

I allows me to add a bit of white in the corners by dragging from the outside of the image to just inside it.

How can this be done efficiently using GIMP. Minimal steps required is a bonus.

Thank you

I think you should go for the development version of Gimp currently 2.9.5

Easiest way for that in linux is Ubuntu (or derivative such as Mint) where Gimp 2.9.5 can be installed via a ppa see:

https://launchpad.net/~otto-kesselgulasch/+archive/ubuntu/gimp-edge

The advantage is most of the tools are previewed on the canvas in use. So for the gradient tool, using transparent to white, radial mode and a suitable offset you can check if any vignette remains before committing the gradient.

example: http://i.imgur.com/VzDd7cS.jpg isolated half with a selection for comparison purpose.

Still using Windows? try www.partha.com

2017-05-13 19:30:54 UTC (almost 7 years ago)
postings

Using the Gradient tool

I think you should go for the development version of Gimp currently 2.9.5

Easiest way for that in linux is Ubuntu (or derivative such as Mint) where Gimp 2.9.5 can be installed via a ppa see:

https://launchpad.net/~otto-kesselgulasch/+archive/ubuntu/gimp-edge

The advantage is most of the tools are previewed on the canvas in use. So for the gradient tool, using transparent to white, radial mode and a suitable offset you can check if any vignette remains before committing the gradient.

example: http://i.imgur.com/VzDd7cS.jpg isolated half with a selection for comparison purpose.

Still using Windows? try www.partha.com

Thanks Rich. I did find the solution. It was starring me in the face the whole time. I'm usually under a crunch for time, so I need to find an editor, and I think GIMP will do. All I really do to these images is barely tweak exposure, gradient white to transparent and save to PSD files for the layout person. I sharpen them with a PS batch file, then throw them on the network for her.

2017-05-24 00:23:05 UTC (almost 7 years ago)
postings

Using the Gradient tool

Thanks Rich. I did find the solution. It was starring me in the face the whole time. I'm usually under a crunch for time, so I need to find an editor, and I think GIMP will do. All I really do to these images is barely tweak exposure, gradient white to transparent and save to PSD files for the layout person. I sharpen them with a PS batch file, then throw them on the network for her.

Well, I haven't touched GIMP in a week or so, I wanted to try out the gradient tool again foreground to transparent, and I can't remember how to do it. I can find the tool, but not foreground to transparent...

Help please... Pretty please...

Owen
2017-05-24 01:18:59 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

Using the Gradient tool

On Wed, 24 May 2017 02:23:06 +0200 SayCheeze wrote:

Well, I haven't touched GIMP in a week or so, I wanted to try out the gradient tool again foreground to transparent, and I can't remember how to do it. I can find the tool, but not foreground to transparent...

Tools->Paint Tools->Blend->Click on the gradient icon to select desired gradient

Or get there by clicking on the blend icon in the toolbox

Owen

rich2005
2017-05-24 15:07:52 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

Using the Gradient tool

Oh dear....

It is in the gradient tool options. Default is FG to BG click in the icon as screenshot and you get a drop down list of available gradients. Choose the FG to transparent. Note little 2 way arrow to swap direction.

Ofnuts
2017-05-24 16:22:18 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

Using the Gradient tool

On 05/24/17 02:23, SayCheeze wrote:

Name is "FG to transparent" and it's the 5th in the list.

2017-05-24 23:09:04 UTC (almost 7 years ago)
postings

Using the Gradient tool

Name is "FG to transparent" and it's the 5th in the list.

found it "again"...

appreciate it.