RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Question About Recreating a Drop Shadow

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

10 of 12 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Question About Recreating a Drop Shadow Amber Sunder 09 May 18:40
  Question About Recreating a Drop Shadow Rick Strong 09 May 19:13
   Question About Recreating a Drop Shadow Amber Sunder 09 May 19:25
    Question About Recreating a Drop Shadow Rick Kline 09 May 19:58
     F4636378292CAE4885EDBF18ADB... 09 May 20:19
      Question About Recreating a Drop Shadow Rick Kline 09 May 20:18
    Question About Recreating a Drop Shadow Rick Strong 09 May 20:27
  Question About Recreating a Drop Shadow Kevin Cozens 09 May 20:10
   Question About Recreating a Drop Shadow Steve Kinney 09 May 21:08
    F4636378292CAE4885EDBF18ADB... 12 May 20:17
     Question About Recreating a Drop Shadow Steve Kinney 09 May 21:49
   Question About Recreating a Drop Shadow Rick Kline 10 May 01:15
Amber Sunder
2017-05-09 18:40:48 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

Hello!

I'm new to using GIMP and am trying to edit the work of the person in my position previous to me. She used a drop shadow on the title of the page "The Musician," but the title is being changed to "The Artist." This isn't your normal drop shadow, so I'm not sure how she created it! My question is - is there a way to recreate a drop shadow using existing settings? And where can I find the settings for the initial drop shadow to duplicate it on "The Artist"? In Photoshop, this wouldn't be an issue for me at all, but this particular document was created using GIMP, which I'm not very familiar with, so I would appreciate any suggestions or assistance!

Thanks so much!

AMBER SUNDER OFFICE MANAGER/EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT

[mod logo (color)]

P. (615) 742-0099 A. The Orbison Building
1625 Broadway, STE 600
Nashville, TN 37203

[DOTTED LINE FOR EMAIL SIGNATURE 2]

JOSH TURNER I DIAMOND RIO I ASHLEY CLEVELAND MEGAN DAVIES I RAQUEL COLE

Rick Strong
2017-05-09 19:13:33 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

Which drop shadow are you referring to? There isn't one on your corporate page.

Rick S.

-----Original Message----- From: Amber Sunder
Sent: Tuesday, May 09, 2017 2:40 PM
To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
Subject: [Gimp-user] Question About Recreating a Drop Shadow

Hello!

I'm new to using GIMP and am trying to edit the work of the person in my position previous to me. She used a drop shadow on the title of the page "The Musician," but the title is being changed to "The Artist." This isn't your normal drop shadow, so I'm not sure how she created it! My question is - is there a way to recreate a drop shadow using existing settings? And where can I find the settings for the initial drop shadow to duplicate it on "The Artist"? In Photoshop, this wouldn't be an issue for me at all, but this particular document was created using GIMP, which I'm not very familiar with, so I would appreciate any suggestions or assistance!

Thanks so much!

AMBER SUNDER OFFICE MANAGER/EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT

[mod logo (color)]

P. (615) 742-0099 A. The Orbison Building
1625 Broadway, STE 600
Nashville, TN 37203

[DOTTED LINE FOR EMAIL SIGNATURE 2]

JOSH TURNER I DIAMOND RIO I ASHLEY CLEVELAND
MEGAN DAVIES I RAQUEL
COLE

Amber Sunder
2017-05-09 19:25:50 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

Hey Rick!

Sorry for the confusion! I guess I was a bit vague in my initial inquiry. I was just hoping there was a way to find one drop shadow's settings to apply them to another drop shadow that I was unaware of. It's the drop shadow on 'The Musician' - I need to change that title to 'The Artist,' but unlike Photoshop, it doesn't just adjust the drop shadow when you edit text since the drop shadow is a layer in itself. If you have any idea how I can recreate this drop shadow, I would GREATLY appreciate your help!

Thanks!

[cid:image002.jpg@01D2C8D0.2788B870]

-----Original Message----- From: Rick Strong [mailto:rnstrong@primus.ca] Sent: Tuesday, May 09, 2017 2:14 PM
To: Amber Sunder ; gimp-user-list@gnome.org Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Question About Recreating a Drop Shadow

Rick S.

-----Original Message-----

Hello!

Thanks so much!

gimp-user-list mailing list

List address:    gimp-user-list@gnome.org

List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list

List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Rick Kline
2017-05-09 19:58:39 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

Like Rick Strong, I don’t see a drop shadow. The only web page you’ve listed is >, and I don’t see “The Musician” link anywhere on the page. Can you point us in the right direction, please?

Rick Kline

* * ** *** ***** ******** ************* ********************* It’s better to wave at a stranger than to ignore a friend * * ** *** ***** ******** ************* *********************

On May 9, 2017, at 3:25 PM, Amber Sunder wrote:

Hey Rick!

Sorry for the confusion! I guess I was a bit vague in my initial inquiry. I was just hoping there was a way to find one drop shadow's settings to apply them to another drop shadow that I was unaware of. It's the drop shadow on 'The Musician' - I need to change that title to 'The Artist,' but unlike Photoshop, it doesn't just adjust the drop shadow when you edit text since the drop shadow is a layer in itself. If you have any idea how I can recreate this drop shadow, I would GREATLY appreciate your help!

Thanks!

[cid:image002.jpg@01D2C8D0.2788B870]

-----Original Message----- From: Rick Strong [mailto:rnstrong@primus.ca] Sent: Tuesday, May 09, 2017 2:14 PM
To: Amber Sunder ; gimp-user-list@gnome.org Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Question About Recreating a Drop Shadow

Rick S.

Hello!

Thanks so much!

List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org

List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

_______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

Kevin Cozens
2017-05-09 20:10:08 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

On 2017-05-09 02:40 PM, Amber Sunder wrote:

I'm new to using GIMP and am trying to edit the work of the person in my position previous to me. She used a drop shadow on the title of the page

[snip]

This isn't your normal drop shadow, so I'm not sure how she created it!

[snip]

this particular document was created using GIMP

GIMP includes a filter to add drop shadow to an item. There are (or were) some filters let you create text with a drop shadow.

You said the drop shadow on the image you are dealing with is not "normal". What is different about it? If the image was created by GIMP it may be slightly different than a drop shadow created by Photoshop (or some other editing program) but it was most likely created using the built-in drop shadow features of GIMP.

Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.ve3syb.ca/           |"Nerds make the shiny things that distract
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172      | the mouth-breathers, and that's why we're
                                 | powerful!"
#include  |             --Chris Hardwick
Rick Kline
2017-05-09 20:18:59 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

Ah, there we go.

Besides the wood background, it looks like three layers to me: The black text front layer, a light drop shadow the average color of the wood, and a darker drop shadow behind that.

Do you have a layered copy of the image? i.e. the original GIMP FILE? I (or someone else) could probably edit the file and get it back to you reasonably quickly.

I highly recommend making a copy of the file, and work on the copy. If there’s only one drop shadow(s) layer behind the text, try turning off the text by clicking the eye next to its layer thumbnail, and see if the shadow is, indeed, two shadows. If so, and you have AT LEAST the editable text layer and the wood background, then I’d suggest making two copies of the text layer, and move them to slightly right and down, with the lowest layer moved the farthest, to recreate the spacing of the original shadow(s). Then use the eyedropper tool to select the light grey for the middle text layer and change the text to that color, and do the same for the bottom layer, using the darker grey. That should get you pretty close. May want to apply some blur to the shadow layers, but that’s up to you.

Anyhoo, that would be my initial approach, given a file with at least the wood and text layers.

Once you’re happy with the result using “THE MUSICIAN” you can easily edit the text layers to become “THE ARTIST” and you should be good to go.

Hope that helps. If you want to shoot me the layered GIMP file, or a link to it, I’d be glad to give it a shot, or at least take a look at the layers to see what you have going on.

Rick K

* * ** *** ***** ******** ************* ********************* It’s better to wave at a stranger than to ignore a friend * * ** *** ***** ******** ************* *********************

On May 9, 2017, at 4:01 PM, Amber Sunder wrote:

My apologies! That link wasn’t intended to direct you to the page, it’s merely a part of my email signature. See below for ‘The Musician’ title that needs to be changed. If you have any idea how to recreate that, or how I can find the settings for that particular drop shadow within GIMP so I can copy and recreate them, I would greatly appreciate your help!
Thank you!

AMBER SUNDER
OFFICE MANAGER/EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT

P. (615) 742-0099
A. The Orbison Building
1625 Broadway, STE 600
Nashville, TN 37203

JOSH TURNER I DIAMOND RIO I ASHLEY CLEVELAND MEGAN DAVIES I RAQUEL COLE

From: Rick Kline [mailto:rick@kline.ms] Sent: Tuesday, May 09, 2017 2:59 PM
To: Amber Sunder
Cc: Rick Strong ; gimp-user-list@gnome.org Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Question About Recreating a Drop Shadow
Like Rick Strong, I don’t see a drop shadow. The only web page you’ve listed is >, and I don’t see “The Musician” link anywhere on the page. Can you point us in the right direction, please?
Rick Kline

On May 9, 2017, at 3:25 PM, Amber Sunder > wrote:
Hey Rick!

Thanks!

[cid:image002.jpg@01D2C8D0.2788B870 ]

-----Original Message----- From: Rick Strong [mailto:rnstrong@primus.ca ] Sent: Tuesday, May 09, 2017 2:14 PM
To: Amber Sunder >; gimp-user-list@gnome.org Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Question About Recreating a Drop Shadow

Rick S.

To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org >

Hello!

Thanks so much!

List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org >

List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

_______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

Rick Strong
2017-05-09 20:27:34 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

Hi Amber,

Your logo looks like it has three layers: - Text Black, sharp.
- Shadow 1 light light grey, blurred - Shadow 2 dark grey on the bottom, blurred more.

I attach a GIMP file with layers. Adjust everything to suit your purposes.

Cheers, Rick S.

Sent: Tuesday, May 09, 2017 3:25 PM
To: Rick Strong ; gimp-user-list@gnome.org Subject: RE: [Gimp-user] Question About Recreating a Drop Shadow

Hey Rick!

Sorry for the confusion! I guess I was a bit vague in my initial inquiry. I was just hoping there was a way to find one drop shadow’s settings to apply them to another drop shadow that I was unaware of. It's the drop shadow on 'The Musician' - I need to change that title to 'The Artist,' but unlike Photoshop, it doesn't just adjust the drop shadow when you edit text since the drop shadow is a layer in itself. If you have any idea how I can recreate this drop shadow, I would GREATLY appreciate your help!

Thanks!

Rick S.

Hello!

Thanks so much!

List address:    gimp-user-list@gnome.org

List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Steve Kinney
2017-05-09 21:08:11 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

On 05/09/2017 04:10 PM, Kevin Cozens wrote:

I'm new to using GIMP and am trying to edit the work of the person in my position previous to me. She used a drop shadow on the title of the page

[snip]

[snip]

GIMP includes a filter to add drop shadow to an item. There are (or were) some filters let you create text with a drop shadow.

With your text layer selected, do Filters > Light and shadow > Drop shadow. Tweak the settings, try it, undo, adjust again, etc. until you get what you are after or determine that this filter won't do it.

You might also want to try some of the effects at Filters > Alpha to logo. Note that the results come out as layers, and you can remove, change opacity, or otherwise edit the individual layers to tweak the result. If the strange drop shadow was originally made with one of these scripts, you should be able to get an exact duplicate without too much trial and error.

An "abnormal" drop shadow may or may not be reproducible with a filter or script; but it's not hard to do these things by hand.

Basic drop shadow:

* Create your text with the Text tool; size and position it as required. Note that you can alter letter spacing, line spacing, alignment inside the text box (left, center, right or justified) with a tool in the Tool Options dock when the Text tool is active and a text layer is selected.

* In the Layers dock, make a copy of your text layer. Change the color of the original (lower) text layer to black by drag-and-drop from the color tool while that layer is selected. Or, use the shadow color of your choice.

* Next, with the lower (shadow) layer selected, right click that layer's icon in the Layers dialog and do "Discard text information." It is now a normal image layer that you can do awful things to.

* Still with the shadow layer selected in the Layers dialog, turn on the Move tool, click on the image canvas window to make it active, and use your keyboard arrow keys to offset the shadow layer from the text layer, positioning it to function as a drop shadow.

* Do Filters > Blur > Gaussian Blur to give your shadow a soft edge. Play with different blur values, move the layer around a bit, etc. until it starts to look right (Ctrl+z is your friend - instant easy undo). You may also want to adjust the shadow layer's opacity via the slider at the top of the Layers dock.

I don't know what's unusual about the drop shadow you are duplicating, but variations on the method presented above should allow you to duplicate most anything that can be called a drop shadow.

You said the drop shadow on the image you are dealing with is not "normal". What is different about it? If the image was created by GIMP it may be slightly different than a drop shadow created by Photoshop (or some other editing program) but it was most likely created using the built-in drop shadow features of GIMP.

Verily: If we could see the original you are trying to duplicate, the method used might be obvious. Or at least a way to do the same thing should not be hard for the gang here to come up with.

:o)

Steve Kinney
2017-05-09 21:49:30 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

On 05/09/2017 05:16 PM, Amber Sunder wrote:

My apologies - I should have included a photo in my initial inquiry! Thank you for your response! Below is what I'm trying to edit. It is currently 'TheMusician' with the drop shadow you see there. I need to reproduce that exact drop shadow when we change the title of this particular document to 'TheArtist.' There are several pages in the document this is a part of, and every page's title has this exact drop shadow, so when I change it to 'TheArtist,' it needs to be exactly the same. I just wish there was a way to see the settings she used to create it so I can input those same values to the drop shadow I need to apply to 'TheArtist' so it's exactly the same. Layer Group #2 is what contains this title and drop shadow.

Aha!

I see a black text layer, and under that, the same text layer in white (light gray actually), and under that, a thin but normal "shadow" layer made as described in my previous post, with the lower two layers offset to produce the effect.

See attached: A low resolution approximation of the same drop shadow effect. If you have the original font, this example and my post re making drop shadows by hand should be all you need to get as close to "exact" as you need.

As this is a "logo" I suggest making a large high resolution "master" that can be used in lots of applications (after scaling and tweaking). Ideally it might be duplicated in Inkscape or another vector edior; then, it could be scaled to any size and exported in any common image format as required, quickly and easily.

:o)

Rick Kline
2017-05-10 01:15:45 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

Kevin,

I took a close look at the file, and the drop shadow has a 4 pixel wide cutout in it. A bit non-standard. I was able to recreate the appearance of the original text/drop shadow with the following workflow:

Make a copy of the file. Work with the copy.

1. Select your text layer, edit text to say “THEARTIST” (this is the step I can’t easily do without knowing what the font is) 2. Filters menu, Light and Shadow >, Drop Shadow… (creates a new, editable Drop Shadow layer) Offset x = 8
Offset y = 8
Blur radius = 15
Color = Black
Opacity = 60
Note: I zoomed way in to determine that the blank area in the drop shadow is 4 pixels, so: 2a. Make sure the text layer is still selected. 3. Choose the Fuzzy Select (magic wand) tool Hold Shift and click on each letter in turn until all are selected 4. Select menu, Grow, Grow selection by: 2 px 5. Move tool
Click in selected area
alt (or option) right arrow twice (should move selection two pixels to the right alt (or option) down arrow twice (should move selection two pixels down 6. Select new drop shadow layer
7. Edit menu, Cut (or CTRL (or command) x) 8. Select menu, None
9. Turn off old Drop Shadow layer

That should do it.

I’m working on an iMac with GIMP 2.8.20

Rick K

On May 9, 2017, at 4:10 PM, Kevin Cozens wrote:

[snip]

[snip]

-- Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.ve3syb.ca/ |"Nerds make the shiny things that distract Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172 | the mouth-breathers, and that's why we're | powerful!" #include | --Chris Hardwick _______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list