RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Image with significant damage

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

1 of 1 message available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Image with significant damage gstalnaker 04 May 20:12
2017-05-04 20:12:09 UTC (almost 7 years ago)
postings

Image with significant damage

in the form of specks and scratches (see attachment).

Q: What are possible ways (if more than one) to approach mitigating the damage.

My current workflow is based on a Pat David process that uses Wavelet Decompose to create scale layers isolating image detail, creating a dup of the scale layer, then manually (!!!) painting over the damage (spot, scratch), and using SelectByColor to select the painted areas to create a selection to which Heal Selection is applied. I do this for the five scale layers and even to the Residual layer (usually using the Healing Brush there). Note that this works very well, but is incredibly time-consuming the more damage an image has. The image from which the attached extract is taken might require *weeks* of work it is so damaged.

I have Ctein's Image Restoration book and he talks about creating masks using Photoshop Find Edges, etc. to isolate the damage. I'm not being very successful mapping the Photoshop options/steps against GIMP options/steps.