RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Help file is not working anymore

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

9 of 9 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Help file is not working anymore Jozsef Mak 16 Jan 04:49
  Help file is not working anymore Sven Neumann 16 Jan 13:34
   Help file is not working anymore Jozsef Mak 16 Jan 17:58
    Help file is not working anymore Sven Neumann 16 Jan 19:00
     Help file is not working anymore Jozsef Mak 16 Jan 21:26
      Help file is not working anymore michael crane 16 Jan 21:58
       Help file is not working anymore Jozsef Mak 16 Jan 22:20
      Help file is not working anymore Michael Schumacher 16 Jan 22:41
      Help file is not working anymore Sven Neumann 16 Jan 22:44
Jozsef Mak
2005-01-16 04:49:02 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

Finally, i updated my Gimp to version 2.2.2 on my Linux box as well. Previously, i had 2.06 installed with help files working perfectly. Now, with version 2.2.2 installed my help files are not functioning any longer. When i click the help menu i get the following error;

There is a problem with the GIMP help files. Parse error in '/usr/local/share/gimp/2.0/help/en/gimp-help.xml': Error on line 1 char 1: Document was empty or contained only whitespace Please check your installation.

How can i fix this problem?

Thanks jozsefmak

Sven Neumann
2005-01-16 13:34:57 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

"Jozsef Mak" writes:

Finally, i updated my Gimp to version 2.2.2 on my Linux box as well. Previously, i had 2.06 installed with help files working perfectly. Now, with version 2.2.2 installed my help files are not functioning any longer. When i click the help menu i get the following error;

There is a problem with the GIMP help files. Parse error in '/usr/local/share/gimp/2.0/help/en/gimp-help.xml': Error on line 1 char 1: Document was empty or contained only whitespace Please check your installation.

Well, what exactly is your problem? There's a rather descriptive error message so I guess you already had a look at gimp-help.xml. Is it indeed empty?

Sven

Jozsef Mak
2005-01-16 17:58:22 UTC (over 19 years ago)

To: "Jozsef Mak"
CC: gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Help file is not working anymore Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 13:34:57 +0100

Hi,

"Jozsef Mak" writes:

Well, what exactly is your problem? There's a rather descriptive error message so I guess you already had a look at gimp-help.xml. Is it indeed empty?

The gimp-help.xml file indeed empty. So, I reinstalled the help file but the result is the same.
So what am i supposed to do next?

jozsefmak

Sven Neumann
2005-01-16 19:00:13 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

"Jozsef Mak" writes:

The gimp-help.xml file indeed empty. So, I reinstalled the help file but the result is the same.

You reinstalled the help files and the file is still empty? Something's wrong with your installation routines then.

Sven

Jozsef Mak
2005-01-16 21:26:16 UTC (over 19 years ago)

To: "Jozsef Mak"
CC: gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Help file is not working anymore Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 19:00:13 +0100

Hi,

"Jozsef Mak" writes:

You reinstalled the help files and the file is still empty? Something's wrong with your installation routines then.

At configuration i provide --prefix=/usr/local/share/gimp/2.0 option.
But no matter what i do the help-files keep installing in the /usr/share/gimp/2.0 directory. This is why Gimp cannot find the files. How can i fix this?

jozsefmak

michael crane
2005-01-16 21:58:45 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Jozsef Mak wrote:

But no matter what i do the help-files keep installing in the /usr/share/gimp/2.0 directory. This is why Gimp cannot find the files. How can i fix this?

despite I don't know what the problem is ln -s /usr/share/gimp/ /usr/local/share/gimp ?

mick

Jozsef Mak
2005-01-16 22:20:39 UTC (over 19 years ago)

To: Jozsef Mak
CC: gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Help file is not working anymore Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 20:58:45 +0000

Jozsef Mak wrote:

despite I don't know what the problem is ln -s /usr/share/gimp/ /usr/local/share/gimp ?

Hi mick,

Thanks for the help. This solved the problem.

jozsefmak

Michael Schumacher
2005-01-16 22:41:54 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Jozsef Mak wrote:

AFAIK gimp-help-2 get's its settings from pkg-config, so I guess that the old pkg-config file of your previous GIMP installation is found.

man pkg-config

should give your hints about how to solve this.

HTH, Michael

Sven Neumann
2005-01-16 22:44:37 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

"Jozsef Mak" writes:

At configuration i provide --prefix=/usr/local/share/gimp/2.0 option. But no matter what i do the help-files keep installing in the /usr/share/gimp/2.0 directory. This is why Gimp cannot find the files. How can i fix this?

gimp-help uses pkg-config and looks for the gimp-2.0.pc file in order to locate your GIMP installation. The --prefix option isn't used at all. It appears that you have a GIMP installation in the /usr prefix.

Sven