RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Win7, Gimp 2.8.x AND 2.9.5 Parth's build

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Win7, Gimp 2.8.x AND 2.9.5 Parth's build Guy Stalnaker 19 Apr 15:09
  Win7, Gimp 2.8.x AND 2.9.5 Parth's build gstalnaker 19 Apr 16:47
Guy Stalnaker
2017-04-19 15:09:04 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

The Gimp UI is missing fonts -- empty boxes [] show up all over the place, see attached screenshot of 2.9.5 Preferences dialog.

This just started. I've had this desktop running Win7 for many, many months with both 2.8.x and 2.9.x. Two days ago I used Gimp for the first time in a while to edit an image. Multiple layers, etc., saving to xcf and exporting png. Something odd, however, began to happen. When adding a text layer to the image, Gimp began to crash when I clicked on the tool palatte after entering text. I eventually did get text added to the image, but it took maybe five attempts when Gimp crashing.

Then, yesterday I attempted to edit the same image in 2.8.x and got a mathmap load error on Gimp start, plus errors saying Gimp could not start ... Gimp, however, did start and load the image, but the UI was missing characters--showing a box [] where characters should be. Not knowing what might have happened, I tried the 2.9.3 version installed. Same error.

Today I have completely uninstalled 2.8.x, and 2.9.3. I have deleted folders and cleaned the Windows Registry of all Gimp stuff. Reinstalled a fresh download from Partha's Place of 2.9.5 STD. No more mathmap load error, or any errors on load, but missing UI elements. And it's really, oddly, random. For example, image I was editing has five layers, top is a text layer. Top two layers have normal, visible description. Bottom three layers show only [] boxes for layer description !?!?

I checked the Prefs (hence the screenshot) and the Fonts path did not include the Windows font path so I added and restarted. No change.

Anything anyone?

Guy Stalnaker jimmyg521@gmail.com

2017-04-19 16:47:12 UTC (almost 7 years ago)
postings

The Gimp UI is missing fonts -- empty boxes [] show up all over the place,
see attached screenshot of 2.9.5 Preferences dialog.

This just started. I've had this desktop running Win7 for many, many months
with both 2.8.x and 2.9.x. Two days ago I used Gimp for the first time in a
while to edit an image. Multiple layers, etc., saving to xcf and exporting
png. Something odd, however, began to happen. When adding a text layer to
the image, Gimp began to crash when I clicked on the tool palatte after
entering text. I eventually did get text added to the image, but it took
maybe five attempts when Gimp crashing.

Then, yesterday I attempted to edit the same image in 2.8.x and got a mathmap load error on Gimp start, plus errors saying Gimp could not start
... Gimp, however, did start and load the image, but the UI was missing
characters--showing a box [] where characters should be. Not knowing what
might have happened, I tried the 2.9.3 version installed. Same error.

Today I have completely uninstalled 2.8.x, and 2.9.3. I have deleted folders and cleaned the Windows Registry of all Gimp stuff. Reinstalled a
fresh download from Partha's Place of 2.9.5 STD. No more mathmap load error, or any errors on load, but missing UI elements. And it's really,
oddly, random. For example, image I was editing has five layers, top is a
text layer. Top two layers have normal, visible description. Bottom three
layers show only [] boxes for layer description !?!?

I checked the Prefs (hence the screenshot) and the Fonts path did not include the Windows font path so I added and restarted. No change.

Anything anyone?

Guy Stalnaker jimmyg521@gmail.com