RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

File browser preview? (SOLVED)

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

7 of 7 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

File browser preview? BandiPat 14 Jan 21:53
  File browser preview? BandiPat 15 Jan 02:57
   File browser preview? Eric Pierce 15 Jan 03:32
    File browser preview? BandiPat 15 Jan 04:02
     File browser preview? Eric Pierce 15 Jan 08:19
    File browser preview? Sven Neumann 15 Jan 12:02
     File browser preview? (SOLVED) BandiPat 16 Jan 00:08
BandiPat
2005-01-14 21:53:56 UTC (over 19 years ago)

File browser preview?

Hi all,
I seem to remember some discussion about this once, but not sure. It may have been more yelling about the new file browser look than anything too. ;o)

Anyway, is it still possible to get a mini preview window for the files you intend to load? That was in the earlier Gnome & Gimp, but I can't seem to find it now, if it's still available. Some other local users here say they still have it with Gimp 2.0.x versions, but I'm not sure what version of Gnome files they are running. I think mine are 2.6 presently and maybe it's just 2.8 that has the preview now?

Thanks, Patrick

BandiPat
2005-01-15 02:57:20 UTC (over 19 years ago)

File browser preview?

On Friday 14 January 2005 03:53 pm, BandiPat wrote:

Hi all,
I seem to remember some discussion about this once, but not sure. It may have been more yelling about the new file browser look than anything too. ;o)

Anyway, is it still possible to get a mini preview window for the files you intend to load? That was in the earlier Gnome & Gimp, but I can't seem to find it now, if it's still available. Some other local users here say they still have it with Gimp 2.0.x versions, but I'm not sure what version of Gnome files they are running. I think mine are 2.6 presently and maybe it's just 2.8 that has the preview now?

Thanks,
Patrick

=========

Ok, I'm adding more to my email. since I have learned more since asking the original question. It seems that SuSE has done something to their build of Gimp 2.0.4 that is provided with 9.2 that disables the preview pane in the file browser. In looking at their src rpm, I find, what looks like a file added to disable that.

Now, next question? Anyone know of a new 2.2.2 Gimp rpm for SuSE 9.2? I tried compiling, but something happened during the configure that I haven't seen before and it failed horribly! I'll try again later, but in the mean time, if anyone knows where to find a good rpm already compiled for SuSE 9.2, that will work for me too. ;o)

regards, Patrick

Eric Pierce
2005-01-15 03:32:27 UTC (over 19 years ago)

File browser preview?

On Fri, Jan 14, 2005 at 08:57:20PM -0500, BandiPat wrote:

On Friday 14 January 2005 03:53 pm, BandiPat wrote:

Hi all,

Thanks,
Patrick

=========

Ok, I'm adding more to my email. since I have learned more since asking the original question. It seems that SuSE has done something to their build of Gimp 2.0.4 that is provided with 9.2 that disables the preview pane in the file browser. In looking at their src rpm, I find, what looks like a file added to disable that.

Now, next question? Anyone know of a new 2.2.2 Gimp rpm for SuSE 9.2? I tried compiling, but something happened during the configure that I haven't seen before and it failed horribly! I'll try again later, but in the mean time, if anyone knows where to find a good rpm already compiled for SuSE 9.2, that will work for me too. ;o)

regards, Patrick

I think you'll need to compile GTK and friends first. Then the Gimp.

EP

BandiPat
2005-01-15 04:02:22 UTC (over 19 years ago)

File browser preview?

On Friday 14 January 2005 09:32 pm, Eric Pierce wrote: [...]

=========

regards, Patrick

EP _______________________________________________

Thanks, Eric, but GTK is installed & GTK2 as well. My compile went a bit better this time, getting pass the translation files, but there still seems to be a problem. Maybe someone can determine something from the errors:
/opt/gnome/lib/libgsf-1.so.1: undefined reference to `g_assert_warning' /opt/gnome/lib/libgsf-1.so.1: undefined reference to `g_return_if_fail_warning'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [svg] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/work/Gnome/gimp-2.2.2/plug-ins/common'

libgsf and all associated files are installed: libgsf-doc-1.11.1-3
libgsf-1.11.1-3
libgsf-devel-1.11.1-3
libgsf-gnome-1.11.1-3

I'll keep looking...

Patrick

Eric Pierce
2005-01-15 08:19:18 UTC (over 19 years ago)

File browser preview?

On Fri, Jan 14, 2005 at 10:02:22PM -0500, BandiPat wrote:

On Friday 14 January 2005 09:32 pm, Eric Pierce wrote: [...]

=========

regards, Patrick

EP

Sven Neumann
2005-01-15 12:02:37 UTC (over 19 years ago)

File browser preview?

Hi,

Eric Pierce writes:

Are you sure it is disabled in the build? Perhaps you just disabled thumbnails in the Preferences dialog? You should also note that GIMP 2.0 doesn't create the thumbnails automatically. You need to click the preview area to make it generate the thumbnail for the selected file(s).

Sven

BandiPat
2005-01-16 00:08:59 UTC (over 19 years ago)

File browser preview? (SOLVED)

On Saturday 15 January 2005 06:02 am, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Eric Pierce writes:

Are you sure it is disabled in the build? Perhaps you just disabled thumbnails in the Preferences dialog? You should also note that GIMP 2.0 doesn't create the thumbnails automatically. You need to click the preview area to make it generate the thumbnail for the selected file(s).

Sven

Ok, everyone, thanks for the thoughts and help, I have 2.2.2 compiled and working nicely on SuSE 9.2 now! Seems my compile problem was a bad libgsf file/s, so took care of that and Gimp went nicely. Nice new SuSE rpms built now and I'll happily provide them to anyone needing them, if that's ok with the developers?

From info I got in my quest to get this worked out, I was told there was a bug, of this nature, in the 2.0.4 Gimp files and was reported as such. No matter though, 2.2.2 is always better to have! Thanks to everyone and especially the Gimp contributors/developers for such great work!

Patrick