RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Scale and rotate at same time

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Scale and rotate at same time Gimpgreenhorn 14 Apr 14:22
  Scale and rotate at same time rich2005 14 Apr 18:02
   Scale and rotate at same time Richard 18 Apr 01:36
  Scale and rotate at same time Ofnuts 17 Apr 13:15
  Scale and rotate at same time programmer_ceds 19 Apr 10:06
2017-04-14 14:22:51 UTC (almost 7 years ago)
postings

Good morning!

I am working on a project where I have to bring in about 40 different layers into this project. As I bring them in, I need to put them into position, by rotating them at different angles, while they are still in the scale mode. Apparently, such an action is not allowed. I'm finding one either rotates them before one scales, or one can't rotate after one scales. I could always rotate them before hand, but what good would that do. Due to the fact I don't know what correct angle there supposed to be at until they are shrunk.

My question is, "can a person manipulate an object by rotating it, while in the "scale" mode. And if so "how"? If someone could get back ASAP, I would appreciate it, cause I'm currently working on the project now! Thanks!

rich2005
2017-04-14 18:02:53 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

Good morning!

I am working on a project where I have to bring in about 40 different layers into this project. As I bring them in, I need to put them into position, by rotating them at different angles, while they are still in the scale mode. Apparently, such an action is not allowed. I'm finding one either rotates them before one scales, or one can't rotate after one scales. I could always rotate them before hand, but what good would that do. Due to the fact I don't know what correct angle there supposed to be at until they are shrunk.

My question is, "can a person manipulate an object by rotating it, while in the "scale" mode. And if so "how"? If someone could get back ASAP, I would appreciate it, cause I'm currently working on the project now! Thanks!

I could be wrong but I do not think there is a script or plugin that will let you scale and rotate at the same time in Gimp 2.8 in real time.

You could use the measure tool and record the length/angle between two points for use in the scale/rotate dialogues.

Otherwise you might have to wait for Gimp 2.10 or try out 2.9.5 dev version

For Gimp 2.9.5 Windows try www.partha.com and for linux 'buntu & derivatives there is a ppa. OSX ?

This is diving straight in, there is probably a better way of using the handle transform tool but it is all in one go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N5LdgNLE-o all of 1 min 30 secs

rich:www.gimp-forum.net

Ofnuts
2017-04-17 13:15:55 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

On 14/04/17 16:22, Gimpgreenhorn wrote:

Good morning!

If you are scaling and rotating to align two layers there is my ofn-layer-straightener script, where you indicate two points on the reference layer, two points on the adjusted layer, and then ask the script to move/scale/rotate the adjusted layer so that the two pairs of points overlap.

See https://sourceforge.net/projects/gimp-tools/files/scripts/

Richard
2017-04-18 01:36:52 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

Actually, the "Perspective Transform" tool can also be used for any combination of scale, rotate, and shear, but it only works if you're diligent about what the values shown in the transformation matrix mean and how to manipulate them.

-- Stratadrake

strata_ranger@hotmail.com --------------------
Numbers may not lie, but neither do they tell the whole truth.

Sent: Friday, April 14, 2017 11:02 AM
To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
Cc: notifications@gimpusers.com
Subject: [Gimp-user] Scale and rotate at same time

>
>My question is, "can a person manipulate an object by rotating it,
>while in the "scale" mode. And if so "how"? If someone could get back
>ASAP, I would appreciate it, cause I'm currently working on the
>project now! Thanks!

I could be wrong but I do not think there is a script or plugin that will let
you scale and rotate at the same time in Gimp 2.8 in real time.

You could use the measure tool and record the length/angle between two points
for use in the scale/rotate dialogues.

Otherwise you might have to wait for Gimp 2.10 or try out 2.9.5 dev version

For Gimp 2.9.5 Windows try www.partha.com and for linux 'buntu & derivatives
there is a ppa. OSX ?

This is diving straight in, there is probably a better way of using the handle
transform tool but it is all in one go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N5LdgNLE-o  all of 1 min 30 secs

rich:www.gimp-forum.net

--
rich2005 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)
[http://www.gimpusers.com/assets/news_without_preview-35e621160a49ad0e6c18ac84161f548e.jpg]

Forums  gimpusers.com
www.gimpusers.com
Forums. While there are many different GIMP forums of there, our own forums provide an extended way to communicate because they are connected to the official GIMP ...
2017-04-19 10:06:53 UTC (almost 7 years ago)
postings

If you are happy to use GIMP V2.9.x you can use the Unified Transform tool.

Good morning!