RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Corrupted PSD file - Looking for Help

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Corrupted PSD file - Looking for Help Following-the-rabbit 14 Apr 03:59
  Corrupted PSD file - Looking for Help Ross Martinek 17 Apr 15:36
2017-04-14 03:59:12 UTC (about 7 years ago)
postings

So, imagine that you're me, you're saving every few hours, and things are going pretty well. You're working on a large project that you're getting paid for, and you're about done.

Then the file that you've just saved gets corrupted. 17 hours of work, gone. I'm not entirely sure how, but one moment I have a project with eighty-something layers, then I open it up shortly after, and it's a one layer picture covered in pink and green noise.

I've tried using two PSD recovery tools. Neither of them did anything. For the sake of my client and my paycheck, I need help.

Is there any way to reverse this, recover a previous save, or anything of the sort?

Ross Martinek
2017-04-17 15:36:49 UTC (about 7 years ago)

I’ll try, but it might help if we knew what platform and OS you are using.

First, I’ve found it is not a good idea to save a working GIMP file as a PSD. If you must do this, set up a sequential backup scheme. Best practice is to use GIMP’s native format until you are finished, then use “Save as …”

To save this situation, have you tried launching GIMP, then using File Menu: Open as Layers …? Not using that option with a PSD file often results in problems if the PSD file contains layers.

Ross

On Apr 13, 2017, at 10:59 PM, Following-the-rabbit wrote:

So, imagine that you're me, you're saving every few hours, and things are going pretty well. You're working on a large project that you're getting paid for, and you're about done.

Then the file that you've just saved gets corrupted. 17 hours of work, gone. I'm not entirely sure how, but one moment I have a project with eighty-something layers, then I open it up shortly after, and it's a one layer picture covered in pink and green noise.

I've tried using two PSD recovery tools. Neither of them did anything. For the sake of my client and my paycheck, I need help.

Is there any way to reverse this, recover a previous save, or anything of the sort?

--
Following-the-rabbit (via www.gimpusers.com/forums) _______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list