RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Just want to make a SIMPLE GIF

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Just want to make a SIMPLE GIF vslash9 29 Mar 20:15
  Just want to make a SIMPLE GIF Mark Morin 29 Mar 21:30
   Just want to make a SIMPLE GIF vslash9 29 Mar 21:37
    Just want to make a SIMPLE GIF rich2005 30 Mar 14:07
     Just want to make a SIMPLE GIF vslash9 30 Mar 15:14
      Just want to make a SIMPLE GIF rich2005 31 Mar 09:27
2017-03-29 20:15:51 UTC (about 7 years ago)
postings

Can someone please help me. I've been trying to make just a simple gif from a 17 year old game. I have gimp 2.6 with GAP 2.6 and am trying to extract video range. I made two gifs before getting this AMAZING error "unable to load file type" i have tried mp3, mp4, and avi and nothing seems to work. Im on windows PC and absolutely fucking retarded when it comes to computers I guess because I have no clue what to do. So if you're kind enough please try and keep it simple for my pathetic brain and not something like "ohh thats an old PCIEX file type branching from the MCI-30 hierarchy you need to extra the TCP file extra through this data repository info program that you can install using a github PCT repository through a simple command prompt install using the following codes"

Mark Morin
2017-03-29 21:30:24 UTC (about 7 years ago)

mp3, mp4, and avi are audo/video file formats. Gimp is a graphics editor -- it handles pictures not sounds or videos.

When you say that you are trying to make a gif, do you mean an animated gif? To do that you need to individual cells (images) of the animation and stack those as layers.

On 3/29/2017 4:15 PM, vslash9 wrote:

Can someone please help me. I've been trying to make just a simple gif from a 17 year old game. I have gimp 2.6 with GAP 2.6 and am trying to extract video range. I made two gifs before getting this AMAZING error "unable to load file type" i have tried mp3, mp4, and avi and nothing seems to work. Im on windows PC and absolutely fucking retarded when it comes to computers I guess because I have no clue what to do. So if you're kind enough please try and keep it simple for my pathetic brain and not something like "ohh thats an old PCIEX file type branching from the MCI-30 hierarchy you need to extra the TCP file extra through this data repository info program that you can install using a github PCT repository through a simple command prompt install using the following codes"

2017-03-29 21:37:01 UTC (about 7 years ago)
postings

Yes. I know. I'm using GAP plugins to and I get the video option and I'm trying to extract video range which turns it into layers. But when I open my video files they all say unknown file type. Even tho I'm pretty dire all I'm using are very common

rich2005
2017-03-30 14:07:40 UTC (about 7 years ago)

Yes. I know. I'm using GAP plugins to and I get the video option and I'm trying to extract video range which turns it into layers. But when I open my video files they all say unknown file type. Even tho I'm pretty dire all I'm using are very common

AVI and mp4 video files are just wrappers for a particular video codec. AVI can be anything from uncompressed video thro' lossless huffy compression to motion-jpeg to modern x261/x265 codecs. A search will bring up any number of examples of GAP failing to open a video.

What can you do for a video that GAP will not unpack?

One way is install ImageMagick (IM), https://www.imagemagick.org which comes with a reasonably recent version of ffmpeg. It is command line and after installing IM navigate to the folder with your video and use a command.

ffmpeg -i inputfile.avi -f image2 imagename-%07d.png

In windows it might look like this in a folder with a single video file. http://i.imgur.com/1HtXyAi.jpg

Running ffmpeg brings up a lot, but it is mostly information. http://i.imgur.com/r610mof.jpg

On completion, back to the folder with the video file, now each frame is a numbered png file ready to open-as-layers in Gimp http://i.imgur.com/24cyJ0M.jpg

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

2017-03-30 15:14:35 UTC (about 7 years ago)
postings

Sounds awesome! Thanks for taking time to reply. Will try when I am at computer

rich2005
2017-03-31 09:27:43 UTC (about 7 years ago)

Sounds awesome! Thanks for taking time to reply. Will try when I am at computer

Thinking about it, bound to run into problems. Extracting a range. You can create all the frames then open the range of images in gimp.

A better way is chop the video using something like Avidemux and then applying FFMPEG up to you.

A quick video on using FFMPEG in Windows https://youtu.be/PXxECG_6YvA