RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Who Owns Images Created Using Gimp Tool

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

10 of 10 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Who Owns Images Created Using Gimp Tool Carol Perkins 28 Mar 20:10
  Who Owns Images Created Using Gimp Tool Alexandre Prokoudine 28 Mar 21:51
   Who Owns Images Created Using Gimp Tool Tom 28 Mar 23:38
    Who Owns Images Created Using Gimp Tool Steve Kinney 29 Mar 00:20
  Who Owns Images Created Using Gimp Tool Joel Rees 29 Mar 10:03
  Who Owns Images Created Using Gimp Tool Rick Strong 29 Mar 17:18
  Who Owns Images Created Using Gimp Tool Kevin Cozens 01 Apr 17:38
   Who Owns Images Created Using Gimp Tool Rick Strong 01 Apr 19:02
    Who Owns Images Created Using Gimp Tool Ofnuts 02 Apr 19:18
     Who Owns Images Created Using Gimp Tool Bob Long 02 Apr 23:32
Carol Perkins
2017-03-28 20:10:51 UTC (about 7 years ago)

Hi,

I've viewed some the tutorials for the Gimp tool, covering various features. They are straightforward, easy to understand and very accessible. I believe it is the best tool to use when creating my own characters/pictures/illustrations for my upcoming books.

This may sound unnecessary, but...could you please confirm that I am the owner of the images I have created using this tool and can incorporate them into my own books which I will be selling commercially. In reading the License Agreement, I wasn't sure I could use my own creations commercially. "Legaleze" isn't really my forte.

Thanks so much, I appreciate any clarifications you can provide.

Carol

--- This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software. https://www.avast.com/antivirus

Alexandre Prokoudine
2017-03-28 21:51:17 UTC (about 7 years ago)

On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 11:10 PM, Carol Perkins wrote:

This may sound unnecessary, but...could you please confirm that I am the owner of the images I have created using this tool

Yes, you are.

Alex

Tom
2017-03-28 23:38:49 UTC (about 7 years ago)

One nice thing you can check out, is the image properties that runs through owner options.

Tom

On 03/28/2017 04:51 PM, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

This may sound unnecessary, but...could you please confirm that I am the owner of the images I have created using this tool

Yes, you are.

Alex
_______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

ICE must have court order signed by judge to enter home.
Steve Kinney
2017-03-29 00:20:57 UTC (about 7 years ago)

On 03/28/2017 07:38 PM, Tom wrote:

One nice thing you can check out, is the image properties that runs through owner options.

Tom

On 03/28/2017 04:51 PM, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

Yes, you are.

Welcome to the world of Free Software.

:o)

Joel Rees
2017-03-29 10:03:08 UTC (about 7 years ago)

Hi,

I am not a lawyer either, but, ...

On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 5:10 AM, Carol Perkins wrote:

Hi,

I've viewed some the tutorials for the Gimp tool, covering various features. They are straightforward, easy to understand and very accessible. I believe it is the best tool to use when creating my own characters/pictures/illustrations for my upcoming books.

This may sound unnecessary,

Actually, understanding the license as best you can is an important thing.

You might or might not find useful information on this site:

https://www.fsf.org

(It tends to be oriented towards technical types.)

In specific, there is a FAQ list and a quick guide linked on this page:

https://www.fsf.org/licensing/

but...could you please confirm that I am the owner of the images I have created using this tool and can incorporate them into my own books which I will be selling commercially. In reading the License Agreement, I wasn't sure I could use my own creations commercially. "Legaleze" isn't really my forte.

If you look in the help menu, under "about this application",you'll find the license item. In that item, you'll see that Gimp is made available under version 3 of the General Public License.

On this page:

https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-3.0.html

in section 0 it says that a covered work is the program, or a work based on the program. It would include parts of the program.

In addition to source code, the program includes some images, such as the widgets in the toolbox palette and the Gimp mascot. If you use the Gimp to edit those images and want to publish the results, you would need to publish them under the GPL.

But I assume you are not doing that. It's a rather unusual thing to do.

If you take a picture of your dog with your digital camera, that is not part of the program. And if you edit the picture of your dog with the Gimp, that is still not part of the program. It's your dog and your work, so the image is yours.

The Gimp is a tool, and the license covers the tool, but not the stuff you make or alter with the tool, except when you work on the Gimp itself with the Gimp like the developers do.

Hope that helps.

Carol

Joel Rees

I'm imagining I'm a novelist:
http://joel-rees-economics.blogspot.com/2017/01/soc500-00-00-toc.html
More of my delusions:
http://reiisi.blogspot.jp/p/novels-i-am-writing.html
Rick Strong
2017-03-29 17:18:52 UTC (about 7 years ago)

Hi Carol,

As one who has designed and created books commercially, I suggest that you make the acquaintance of a lawyer who is willing to provide professional advice at low cost for a struggling artist.

There are many issues surrounding ownership, copyright, reproduction rights, getting paid, etc. Young designers are always complaining about legal problems they have run into and they are always asked: "Do you have a contract? Do you know a lawyer?" and the answer is always, "No". By then it's too late. The publishing world can be a minefield for the unwary. Your question shows you are attuned to this.

Lastly, be very, very, *very* careful about the agreements you sign with the DIY self-publishers, or any publisher. Some of them try to get you to sign agreements which are NOT in your best interest. Ask your friendly lawyer to review any contract or agreement FIRST, before you sign it. Your creative work needs all the protection it can get.

Cheers, Rick S.

-----Original Message----- From: Carol Perkins
Sent: Tuesday, March 28, 2017 4:10 PM To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
Subject: [Gimp-user] Who Owns Images Created Using Gimp Tool

Hi,

This may sound unnecessary, but...could you please confirm that I am the owner of the images I have created using this tool and can incorporate them into my own books which I will be selling commercially. In reading the License Agreement, I wasn't sure I could use my own creations commercially. "Legaleze" isn't really my forte.

Carol

--- This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software. https://www.avast.com/antivirus

Kevin Cozens
2017-04-01 17:38:00 UTC (about 7 years ago)

On 2017-03-28 04:10 PM, Carol Perkins wrote:

This may sound unnecessary, but...could you please confirm that I am the owner of the images I have created using this tool and can incorporate them into my own books which I will be selling commercially.

The answer is of course you can.

When I see this question pop up now and then on the mailing list I always wonder how many people ask Microsoft the same question when they are thinking of using Photoshop.

Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.ve3syb.ca/           |"Nerds make the shiny things that distract
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172      | the mouth-breathers, and that's why we're
                                 | powerful!"
#include  |             --Chris Hardwick
Rick Strong
2017-04-01 19:02:09 UTC (about 7 years ago)

Probably not very many.

Rick S.

-----Original Message----- From: Kevin Cozens
Sent: Saturday, April 01, 2017 1:38 PM To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Who Owns Images Created Using Gimp Tool

... When I see this question pop up now and then on the mailing list I always wonder how many people ask Microsoft the same question when they are thinking of using Photoshop.

Ofnuts
2017-04-02 19:18:18 UTC (about 7 years ago)

On 01/04/17 21:02, Rick Strong wrote:

Probably not very many.

Rick S.

-----Original Message----- From: Kevin Cozens Sent: Saturday, April 01, 2017 1:38 PM To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Who Owns Images Created Using Gimp Tool ...
When I see this question pop up now and then on the mailing list I always wonder how many people ask Microsoft the same question when they are thinking of using Photoshop.

Not that many since Photoshop is an Adobe product :)

Now, if the MS-Office EULA had some fine print saying "All your documents are belong to us" it wouldn't be as pervasive as it is. The EULA of the early MS-C compiler had something like this (MS considered that since you linked their runtime, your program contained MS code) but this was pulled fairly quickly when corporate customers sent in their lawyers.

Bob Long
2017-04-02 23:32:47 UTC (about 7 years ago)

Ofnuts wrote on 03/04/17 05:18:

Now, if the MS-Office EULA had some fine print saying "All your documents are belong to us" it wouldn't be as pervasive as it is. The EULA of the early MS-C compiler had something like this (MS considered that since you linked their runtime, your program contained MS code) but this was pulled fairly quickly when corporate customers sent in their lawyers.

Getting a little off-topic, but did you know that the EULA for Microsoft Word Viewer (at least the 2007 version I looked at) does not allow you to view files created by non-Microsoft software?

"a. General. You may install and use any number of copies of the software on your devices. You may use the software only to view and print files created with Microsoft Office software. You may not use the software for any other purpose."

But if someone sent you a ".doc" file, how would you know if it had been created by Microsoft Word, or LibreOffice, say?

Bob Long