RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Layers in an .xcf file not showing in the Layers tab

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Layers in an .xcf file not showing in the Layers tab Ross Martinek 26 Mar 22:14
  Layers in an .xcf file not showing in the Layers tab Michael Schumacher 26 Mar 22:41
Ross Martinek
2017-03-26 22:14:50 UTC (about 7 years ago)

have an .xcf file that is supposed to contain some 300 layers. However, today when I opened it, it says the file has the correct number of layers, but the Layers tab is grayed or blued out, and none of the layers appear.The file was fine when I worked on it yesterday. Opening a backup file has the same result.

Does anyone have an idea why this happened, and what can be done to fix it? Is this a problem with GIMP or is the file corrupt?

Thanks!

Ross

Michael Schumacher
2017-03-26 22:41:16 UTC (about 7 years ago)

On 03/27/2017 12:14 AM, Ross Martinek wrote:

have an .xcf file that is supposed to contain some 300 layers. However, today when I opened it, it says the file has the correct number of layers, but the Layers tab is grayed or blued out, and none of the layers appear.The file was fine when I worked on it yesterday.

But does the image still look ok? If yes, then the layers are there, but don't show up in the Layers dialog.

Opening a backup file has the same result.

Does anyone have an idea why this happened, and what can be done to fix it? Is this a problem with GIMP or is the file corrupt?

The Layers dialog can be set to follow the active image automatically, or require a manual action to do so - this can be useful if you want to bring many layers from one image into another, for example.

This is controlled by the bar with a image drop-down and Auto button in the corresponding dock - see
https://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-dialogs-structure.html#gimp-layer-dialog

You should check if you have disabled the Auto setting there.

Regards,
Michael
GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD