RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Displace filter question

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Displace filter question crj414 25 Mar 06:34
  Displace filter question rich2005 25 Mar 12:54
  Displace filter question Ofnuts 26 Mar 14:40
   Displace filter question crj414 26 Mar 20:02
2017-03-25 06:34:33 UTC (about 7 years ago)
postings

Displace filter question

I posted a similar question before but I think I gave too much detail and it wasnt clear. When I choose displace under map not all the layers show up. The one under Generic is no longer there, even if I download the previous version instead of 2.8.20. If I do a search for *generic in Gimp2 under Programs I get a small list of files, but I dont know how to copy them here. However, there is one that just says Image file, 2 under share/gimp/2.0/dynamic/basic, and several in python. Not sure if that helps. Sorry, I can use almost any program with some instruction, and I can generally follow directions, but I dont know anything about programming or writing code. Thanks for your help. Let me know if there is anything else you need to know or that I need to look for.

rich2005
2017-03-25 12:54:45 UTC (about 7 years ago)

Displace filter question

I posted a similar question before but I think I gave too much detail and it wasnt clear. When I choose displace under map not all the layers show up. The one under Generic is no longer there, even if I download the previous version instead of 2.8.20. If I do a search for *generic in Gimp2 under Programs I get a small list of files, but I dont know how to copy them here. However, there is one that just says Image file, 2 under share/gimp/2.0/dynamic/basic, and several in python. Not sure if that helps. Sorry, I can use almost any program with some instruction, and I can generally follow directions, but I dont know anything about programming or writing code. Thanks for your help. Let me know if there is anything else you need to know or that I need to look for.

I suspect nobody understands the question. All a bit of a guess from your description.

1. The only default filters in Filters -> Generic are Convolution Matrix, Dilate and Erode. Anything else you install yourself.

2. Filters -> Map -> Displace uses maximum 3 layers/images. The displacement maps can be layers or another image. You need to open those in the dialogue yourself. You can have the same map for both X and Y

screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/cInTD6K.jpg

3. If you had a displace filter in Filters -> Generic, It was possibly the old MathMap plugin.

screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/3Huh4hx.jpg

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

Ofnuts
2017-03-26 14:40:32 UTC (about 7 years ago)

Displace filter question

On 25/03/17 07:34, crj414 wrote:

I posted a similar question before but I think I gave too much detail and it wasnt clear. When I choose displace under map not all the layers show up.

Still not very clear... The Layers that can be used as a map in Filter>Map>Displace must have the same size as the target layer. Those that don't are filtered out of the selector.

The one under Generic is no longer there, even if I download the previous version instead of 2.8.20.

I don't see the connection with Filters>Map>Displace. The "standard" Filters>Generic menu contains, from memory: Convolution Matrix, Dilate, Erode. Everything else would be plug-ins. So you would have to find which plug-ins you added in your previous installation of Gimp (was that on another computer?) and reinstall them. But for this to be successful you would need more accurate memories.

2017-03-26 20:02:38 UTC (about 7 years ago)
postings

Displace filter question

Still not very clear... The Layers that can be used as a map in Filter>Map>Displace must have the same size as the target layer. Those that don't are filtered out of the selector. I don't see the connection with Filters>Map>Displace. The "standard" Filters>Generic menu contains, from memory: Convolution Matrix, Dilate,
Erode. Everything else would be plug-ins. So you would have to find which plug-ins you added in your previous installation of Gimp (was that
on another computer?) and reinstall them. But for this to be successful
you would need more accurate memories.

Ah. Thank you so much. I didn't realize the plugins from other sources added to the existing filter menu. I thought all of those would be under FX or Script FU menus. They are there now. And thanks for the other reminder. I thought they were all the same size but when I examined them individually there was one that was off. Thanks again. I'm a bit new to this intricate of a program so really appreciate help.