RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

we need more documentation

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

we need more documentation Sven Neumann 10 Jan 21:38
  we need more documentation Daniel Egger 10 Jan 22:02
  we need more documentation Carol Spears 10 Jan 22:39
   we need more documentation Sven Neumann 10 Jan 22:54
   we need more documentation Sven Neumann 10 Jan 22:57
Sven Neumann
2005-01-10 21:38:51 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

now that GIMP 2.2 is out and the major problems with the early 2.2.x releases seem to have been fleshed out, it would be nice if we could put some effort into documenting some of the new stuff that's hidden in the 2.2 version. So this is a plea for help on documenting things. I am sorry that I don't have the time to do all this myself, but I can at least try to make a list of things that I think would be worth writing about...

- (re)configuring keyboard shortcuts (using Dynamic Shortcuts, the new Shortcut Editor or simply by editing the menurc

- the new file-chooser dialogs and how to use them best (explain keybindings and the use of bookmarks)

- copy and paste between GIMP and other apps (what works, what doesn't)

- drag and drop (inside GIMP and to and from other apps)

- the new input controllers and how to use them o configuring the mouse wheel
o configuring the cursor keys
o fancy USB input devices
o using MIDI equipment as GIMP input devices

- setting up a tablet for use in GIMP

- a collection of tips and tricks focusing on stuff that's new in 2.2

- nifty things you can tweak in the Preferences dialog and in gimprc

- customizing the GIMP user interface

- customizing the splash image

- batch processing images

There are also a couple of changes that affect developers which should be mentioned, probably best added to the API reference manuals:

- migrating plug-ins/scripts from GIMP 1.2 GIMP 2.x o how to use GIMP_DISABLE_DEPRECATED o how to use the --pdb-compat-mode command-line option

- new widgets in 2.2 o GimpPreview
o GimpIntComboBox
o ...

- new PDB functions o gimp-context API and how to use it

All of this stuff (and more) would be nice to have. The format and place doesn't really matter but of course it would be best to integrate this somehow into one of the following resources:

- the GIMP User Manual (please contact gimp-docs list) - the www.gimp.org web-site (please contact gimp-web list) - the developer.gimp.org web-site (ditto) - the API reference manuals (please contact gimp-developer list) - the man-pages (ditto)

But you could just write up something, put it online and post the URL here or just send us some text that we will try to add where appropriate. Docs also don't have to be perfect. It's often sufficient to start with something. Docs can always be completed and improved later. The developers will happily point out wrong information and fill in the missing bits.

Sven

Daniel Egger
2005-01-10 22:02:08 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On 10.01.2005, at 21:38, Sven Neumann wrote:

[ good ideas removed ]

I'd appreciate if we could gather such good topics for documentation in a central place. Bugzilla would be an idea but this seems more like a great chance for the Wiki: Let's make that an itemizedlist and put it on the Wiki together with some WikiLinks so that people can start hacking their ideas in....

Servus, Daniel

Carol Spears
2005-01-10 22:39:00 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Mon, Jan 10, 2005 at 09:38:51PM +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:

now that GIMP 2.2 is out and the major problems with the early 2.2.x releases seem to have been fleshed out, it would be nice if we could put some effort into documenting some of the new stuff that's hidden in the 2.2 version. So this is a plea for help on documenting things. I am sorry that I don't have the time to do all this myself, but I can at least try to make a list of things that I think would be worth writing about...

http://carol.gimp.org/gimp2/news/previews/

any suggestions where this information can be found?

- customizing the GIMP user interface

http://carol.gimp.org/gimp2/news/toolbox/

i can contribute to additional documentation about the things mentioned above.

this has been something i have quite a bit of impartial experience with lately (and earlier also) and much of the work has been done already towards this on my web site:
http://carol.gimp.org/gimp2/news/splash/

that said, i was unable to get the random splash screens i read about recently ....

carol

Sven Neumann
2005-01-10 22:54:47 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

Carol Spears writes:

any suggestions where this information can be found?

There's some info in the gimprc man-page but I guess some more documentation doesn't hurt. But perhaps there are less nifty things there than I claimed to be ;)

that said, i was unable to get the random splash screens i read about recently ....

The random splash feature is explained in gimp(1). That info is rather concise though and http://gimp.org/about/splash/ doesn't mention it at all.

Sven

Sven Neumann
2005-01-10 22:57:03 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

Carol Spears writes:

You don't mention how to change the default preview size by editing ~/.gimp-2.2/gtkrc.

Sven