RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Removing background with images with a lot of inner detail of image

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2017-03-23 20:23:48 UTC (about 7 years ago)
postings

Hi, gotta question for my fellow gimpsters. Working on a project, need to use pictures of pine boughs and pine cones in project. One can go around the outer image, and remove the background. But "how" does one remove the background coming through between the "pine needles", before placing the pinecone/needle image on my project?

Please detail each action one needs to take, to completely remove background showing "through" and around" pine needle image, ...beginning to end. Thank you!

Ofnuts
2017-03-24 22:40:27 UTC (about 7 years ago)

On 23/03/17 21:23, Gimpgreenhorn wrote:

Hi, gotta question for my fellow gimpsters. Working on a project, need to use pictures of pine boughs and pine cones in project. One can go around the outer image, and remove the background. But "how" does one remove the background coming through between the "pine needles", before placing the pinecone/needle image on my project?

Please detail each action one needs to take, to completely remove background showing "through" and around" pine needle image, ...beginning to end. Thank you!

The solution depends on the kind of backcground. If the background is noticeably lighter than the pines/boughs (for instance, sky):

- add a layer mask, and initialize the layer mask with a grayscale copy of the layer, inverted (then the sky bits, being black in the mask would make the corresponding part of the image transparent)

- adjust contrast (likely, add some) and brightness on the mask to put a progressive cut-off around the right values (you can also do it with Curves)

2017-03-30 17:12:02 UTC (about 7 years ago)
postings

I had the same problem then found an excellent tutorial i don't have time to go trough step by step so here it is check it out by your self http://geektechypro.tk/2017/03/remove-background-from-image-gimp-free-tool/ it is the second option advanced.

2017-04-04 02:18:04 UTC (about 7 years ago)
postings

I had the same problem then found an excellent tutorial i don't have time to go trough step by step so here it is check it out by your self http://geektechypro.com/2017/03/remove-background-from-image-gimp-free-tool/ it is the second option advanced.