RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

How to set default brush size

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

How to set default brush size Andreas Waechter 04 Jan 09:39
  How to set default brush size Sven Neumann 04 Jan 11:16
   How to set default brush size Andreas Waechter 05 Jan 16:50
How to set default brush size Patrick Shanahan 06 Jan 03:34
  How to set default brush size Carol Spears 06 Jan 06:48
Andreas Waechter
2005-01-04 09:39:33 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Hello and a (somewhat belated) happy new year!

In some old Gimp version (1.3?) I managed to set the default brush size (the one set when Gimp starts) by editing some rc file.

But I can't remember exactly how I did it. I couldn't find the place in Gimp 2.2.

I found a way to save tool options for pencil, but this requires an explicit load of the option.

I would like to have Gimp set the brush size to my preferred size automatically at startup.
How can I do that? I found nothing in the help file and nothing in the .gimp-2.2 folder (but I might have overlooked something).

Please, can someone tell me how to change that setting?

Thanks in advance, Andreas

Sven Neumann
2005-01-04 11:16:55 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Hi,

Andreas Waechter writes:

In some old Gimp version (1.3?) I managed to set the default brush size (the one set when Gimp starts) by editing some rc file.

But I can't remember exactly how I did it. I couldn't find the place in Gimp 2.2.

GIMP comes with a couple of man-pages. gimprc(5) has the answer to your question. Please note that if you have a devicerc in your ~/.gimp-2.2 directory, the settings stored in is file will override the default brush / pattern / gradient. This is to allow for setting up different presets for different input devices.

Sven

Andreas Waechter
2005-01-05 16:50:59 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Uuups, I accidntally sent this to Sven only (because this list for some reason not understood by me is set up so that a "reply" does not go to the list).

>>>In some old Gimp version (1.3?) I managed to set the default brush
>>>>size (the one set when Gimp starts) by editing some rc file.

>> GIMP comes with a couple of man-pages. gimprc(5) has the answer to
>> your question.

Ok - I just searched for man pages in my Gimp 2.2 installation and could not find them. Might this be because I run Gimp on Windows?

I have looked into Help in Gimp, but found nothing ...

Context help (Shift F1) on the Brush resulted in "Appendix C. Eeek! a help is missing"

>> Please note that if you have a devicerc in your >> ~/.gimp-2.2 directory, the settings stored in is file will override
>> the default brush / pattern / gradient.

I tried many things - none of them worked. Maybe this devicerc does not work on Windows?

I still look for a solution to get a default brush different from the one in the default gimp config (I want Circle(1) but always get Circle(11))

Andreas

Patrick Shanahan
2005-01-06 03:34:12 UTC (about 19 years ago)

* Greg Bair [01-05-05 21:06]:

Andreas Waechter wrote:

Uuups, I accidntally sent this to Sven only (because this list for some reason not understood by me is set up so that a "reply" does not go to the list).

Next time, instead of hitting reply, hit Reply to All or something similar. It will send it to the individual AND the list. Hope this helps!

yes/no

hit 'Reply to All' and then delete all but the list addr. Your post was seen/answered from a posting on the list. Kind of obvious that the poster *reads* the list and will see your reply there. No need for two copies of the mail and the extra traffic. Netiquette .

Carol Spears
2005-01-06 06:48:31 UTC (about 19 years ago)

On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 09:34:12PM -0500, Patrick Shanahan wrote:

* Greg Bair [01-05-05 21:06]:

Andreas Waechter wrote:

Next time, instead of hitting reply, hit Reply to All or something similar. It will send it to the individual AND the list. Hope this helps!

yes/no

hit 'Reply to All' and then delete all but the list addr. Your post was seen/answered from a posting on the list. Kind of obvious that the poster *reads* the list and will see your reply there. No need for two copies of the mail and the extra traffic. Netiquette .

well, no/yes

i have no idea what the convention is with the majority of mail lists, i only know of the ones i try to follow.

it has been the way of the people on this list and on the developer list to send a reply to both the list and the sender since 1998 when i first joined it.

sometimes i like this convention, sometimes i dont. right now i like it as the list mail moves slowly for me and the replies sent to me and not the list get here more quickly.

back then the gimp users and the gimp developers were all linux in origin so i always thought it was one of those linux curmudgeon ways. i could be wrong though. i try to do it to not irritate the old developers and users, out of respect.

anyone can feel free to correct my understanding of this convention ....

carol