RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Tablet not working properly

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

12 of 12 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Tablet not working properly squirrel 07 Mar 17:20
  Tablet not working properly JakeUnsettled 10 Mar 05:38
   Tablet not working properly satrio_jati 10 Mar 13:29
    Tablet not working properly JakeUnsettled 10 Mar 15:29
     Tablet not working properly satrio_jati 11 Mar 03:43
      Tablet not working properly Michael Schumacher 11 Mar 10:40
    Tablet not working properly squirrel 10 Mar 22:32
     Tablet not working properly satrio_jati 11 Mar 03:40
      Tablet not working properly squirrel 13 Mar 17:44
  Tablet not working properly squirrel 20 Mar 17:45
   Tablet not working properly squirrel 20 Mar 17:46
  Tablet not working properly langyan 16 Feb 07:58
2017-03-07 17:20:51 UTC (about 7 years ago)
postings

I have a Huion H420 tablet. I've installed the drivers, and the tablet shows up in the devices. I've put the mode on "screen" and changed the pressure to "3", but when I go to draw, there are no lines. If I press down with the pen, there'll be a dot, but only a dot and no line. On other programs the tablet and pen work perfectly with pressure and everything. It just doesn't seem to be working on GIMP. Help?

2017-03-10 05:38:14 UTC (about 7 years ago)
postings

I've been having this very same problem and have been looking all over for an answer! I'm attempting to get this working on my new laptop and I've had no luck at all. I've been all over these forums as well as other web paged and youtube, and here's all the steps I've found and tried:

Open gimp using the pen to force it to recognize the tablet - no luck

Made sure tablet was configured - no luck

Configured settings in gimp device options - no luck

Made sure my drivers are up to date - no luck

Made sure the tablet settings were correct in Windows control panel - no luck

Tested tablet in Inkscape, MS paint, Google's drawing programs - all worked fine

Tested tablet on my desktop in Gimp - worked just fine.

Compared settings on laptop and desktop and changed them to match - no luck

Disconnected the tablets, un-installed both gimp and the tablet drivers, then reinstalled the tablet most recent drivers, connected tablet, reinstalled gimp and opened it with the pen for the first time. - no luck

As it is a different bios settup from my desk top, tried an OLDER set of drivers - no luck

Honestly, at this point I've isolated everything out- hardware, software, settings, bios setup, drivers- NOTHING is working. If I can't make this work, I'm going to have to find a way to convert ALL my work to a different program, and I really don't want to do that.

2017-03-10 13:29:49 UTC (about 7 years ago)
postings

I've been having this very same problem and have been looking all over for an answer! I'm attempting to get this working on my new laptop and I've had no luck at all. I've been all over these forums as well as other web paged and youtube, and here's all the steps I've found and tried:

Honestly, at this point I've isolated everything out- hardware, software, settings, bios setup, drivers- NOTHING is working. If I can't make this work, I'm going to have to find a way to convert ALL my work to a different program, and I really don't want to do that.

same problem with me
http://www.gimpusers.com/forums/gimp-user/19318-huion-1060pro-cannot-draw-on-gimp-2-8-20

I'm suggesting you to use version 2.8.18 for a while untill the development team fix this bug on 2.8.20 https://download.gimp.org/mirror/pub/gimp/v2.8/windows/

2017-03-10 15:29:57 UTC (about 7 years ago)
postings

same problem with me
http://www.gimpusers.com/forums/gimp-user/19318-huion-1060pro-cannot-draw-on-gimp-2-8-20

I'm suggesting you to use version 2.8.18 for a while untill the development team fix this bug on 2.8.20 https://download.gimp.org/mirror/pub/gimp/v2.8/windows/

Woot! It worked!! So, known issue with most recent form of Gimp- got it. Issue resolved! Thank you!!!

2017-03-10 22:32:00 UTC (about 7 years ago)
postings

same problem with me

Oh man... it's half working for me. Now it's drawing, but there's no difference in pressure. I tried out the tablet in another program and that still worked. So it's just GIMP that's not quite doing it for me. Maybe I should use an older version than 2.8.18?

2017-03-11 03:40:11 UTC (about 7 years ago)
postings

Oh man... it's half working for me. Now it's drawing, but there's no difference in pressure. I tried out the tablet in another program and that still worked. So it's just GIMP that's not quite doing it for me. Maybe I should use an older version than 2.8.18?

If you choose paint brush tool there's dynamic setting in option tool to change the pen pressure style.

https://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-tool-dynamics.html

2017-03-11 03:43:28 UTC (about 7 years ago)
postings

Woot! It worked!! So, known issue with most recent form of Gimp- got it. Issue resolved! Thank you!!!

You're welcome.

Michael Schumacher
2017-03-11 10:40:43 UTC (about 7 years ago)

On 03/11/2017 04:43 AM, satrio_jati wrote:

You're welcome.

Please note that "known issue" doesn't mean that anything will magically change in a next release. Besides, it's only known from the few reports on this list.

Tablet support is handled by GTK+, and I'm pretty sure none of the developers own a tablet of this brand. It doesn't help that most of these issues happen on the Windows platforms, which few to none of the developers use, either.

If you want to see this fixed. you should help to figure out what has changed:

- compare the GTK+ versions packaged in the 2.8.18 and 2.8.20 installers - then the code changes there, between the specific states in https://git.gnome.org/browse/gtk+/log/?h=gtk-2-24

Regards,
Michael
GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD
2017-03-13 17:44:18 UTC (about 7 years ago)
postings

If you choose paint brush tool there's dynamic setting in option tool to change the pen pressure style.

https://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-tool-dynamics.html

Thanks for the suggestion. I've done that though and it still isn't working. I downloaded a few other art programs and it's not working on those either. I guess it's something to do with the tablet, not GIMP, so I messaged Huion and hopefully they can help me out and not let my money be wasted on a tablet that doesn't work -_-

2017-03-20 17:45:10 UTC (about 7 years ago)
postings

I just wanted to leave an update in case anyone else is still having this problem.

I emailed Huion support and here's the instructions they sent me:

Here's a step by step to reinstall, please try and see if it works(If you are using Mac system, please skip 3-4 steps): 1. Log out the Huion driver, close all drawing programs you are running, close your anti virus software. 2. Uninstall the Huion driver from control panel. 3. Find the "TabletDriver" folder from C:\Program files\ and delete it. (If you are not able to find this folder, that means you have deleted it already, and you may skip this step.) 4. Go to C:\windows\system32 or C:\windows\system64, find "wintab32.dll" and delete it. 5. Unplug the USB cable.
6. Download driver from Huion website (https://www.huiontablet.com/support/) and install it as an Administrator. 7. Reboot the computer and wait until it finishes rebooting. 8. Plug the tablet back in.

I had a few issues with their instructions. The wintab32.dll file was actually in C:\windows\sysWOW64. That was the first thing. Also, the file wouldn't delete because it was open in Malwarebytes Tray Application. I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to close the program, so I ended up deleting Malwarebytes off my computer for the moment. But then the file still wouldn't delete because it was open in OneDrive, then DropBox. So I exited those programs as well.

After getting all the original Huion files off my computer, I downloaded the driver from the link they gave me. I forgot to restart my computer and tried out the tablet on GIMP and krita and had the same problem as before. Then I realized I needed to reboot. So I did that, and then everything worked perfectly!

I really don't know what I did wrong when I first installed the drivers, but I guess if the problem is solved now, I don't need to dwell on that.

For the record, I still have the older version of GIMP installed (2.8.18) that someone else on this thread suggested. This version also helped me with another little issue I had where the icons were too small for a normal human to see.

So hopefully if anyone else has this same problem, they can follow these instructions and have the good luck I did!

Peace!

2017-03-20 17:46:04 UTC (about 7 years ago)
postings

I just wanted to leave an update in case anyone else is still having this problem.

I emailed Huion support and here's the instructions they sent me:

Here's a step by step to reinstall, please try and see if it works(If you are using Mac system, please skip 3-4 steps): 1. Log out the Huion driver, close all drawing programs you are running, close your anti virus software. 2. Uninstall the Huion driver from control panel. 3. Find the "TabletDriver" folder from C:\Program files\ and delete it. (If you are not able to find this folder, that means you have deleted it already, and you may skip this step.) 4. Go to C:\windows\system32 or C:\windows\system64, find "wintab32.dll" and delete it.
5. Unplug the USB cable.
6. Download driver from Huion website (https://www.huiontablet.com/support/) and install it as an Administrator.
7. Reboot the computer and wait until it finishes rebooting. 8. Plug the tablet back in.

I had a few issues with their instructions. The wintab32.dll file was actually in C:\windows\sysWOW64. That was the first thing. Also, the file wouldn't delete because it was open in Malwarebytes Tray Application. I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to close the program, so I ended up deleting Malwarebytes off my computer for the moment. But then the file still wouldn't delete because it was open in OneDrive, then DropBox. So I exited those programs as well.

After getting all the original Huion files off my computer, I downloaded the driver from the link they gave me. I forgot to restart my computer and tried out the tablet on GIMP and krita and had the same problem as before. Then I realized I needed to reboot. So I did that, and then everything worked perfectly!

I really don't know what I did wrong when I first installed the drivers, but I guess if the problem is solved now, I don't need to dwell on that.

For the record, I still have the older version of GIMP installed (2.8.18) that someone else on this thread suggested. This version also helped me with another little issue I had where the icons were too small for a normal human to see.

So hopefully if anyone else has this same problem, they can follow these instructions and have the good luck I did!

Peace!

Oh my god I'm so sorry for that eyesore post!!! I didn't know it would format like that :-O

2019-02-16 07:58:21 UTC (about 5 years ago)
postings

upgrade the gimp to the newest version , download the newest driver from Huion's website . this may can help .

I have a XP-Pen Star G430 ( https://www.xp-pen.com/goods/show/id/36.html ) OSU Graphic Drawing Tablet just same with your Huion H420 Pen Tablet . it has 2048 levels of pen pressure , the stylus is battery-free and wireless . there is no lag when drawing , it works well with GIMP.