RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Palette options

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Palette options Andy 01 Jan 22:44
  Palette options Andy 03 Jan 16:49
   Palette options Carol Spears 03 Jan 18:48
Palette options XX 03 Jan 18:52
Palette options Carol Spears 04 Jan 04:22
  Palette options Andy 04 Jan 07:13
Andy
2005-01-01 22:44:50 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Palette options

Hi

I'm a new user and would like to know if there is a possibility to save a palette and load/apply it to other images.

Thank you for your GREAT (and free) GIMP!

With kind regards

Andy (x_terminat_or_3)

Andy
2005-01-03 16:49:05 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Palette options

On Sat January 1 2005 22:44, Andy wrote: Hi

I'm a new user and would like to know if there is a possibility to save a palette and load/apply it to other images.

Thank you for your GREAT (and free) GIMP!

With kind regards

Andy (x_terminat_or_3)

Carol Spears
2005-01-03 18:48:12 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Palette options

On Mon, Jan 03, 2005 at 04:49:05PM +0100, Andy wrote:

On Sat January 1 2005 22:44, Andy wrote: I'm a new user and would like to know if there is a possibility to save a palette and load/apply it to other images.

it is not clear exactly what you want here.

you can get and save palettes from images. this works better on indexed palettes and the same palette can only be "applied" to other palettes if you are converting an RGB image to indexed.

if this is what you are interested in, i can write how. if it is something else you were wanting to do, probably gimp cannot do this.

carol

XX
2005-01-03 18:52:05 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Palette options

----- Original Message ---

Carol Spears
2005-01-04 04:22:07 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Palette options

i forgot to send this to the user list. sorry.

To: XX Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Re: Palette options

On Mon, Jan 03, 2005 at 06:52:05PM +0100, XX wrote:

On Sat January 1 2005 22:44, Andy wrote: I'm a new user and would like to know if there is a possibility to save a
palette and load/apply it to other images.

you can get and save palettes from images. this works better on indexed palettes and the same palette can only be "applied" to other palettes if you are converting an RGB image to indexed.

That is excactly what I'm interested in.

-->Dialogs-->Palettes will draw the palette dialog or bring it up. The second button from the left will add a new palette called "Untitled" and launch the Palette Editor. Back to the first Palette Dialog, right click on the "Untitled" entry will give you a menu and selecting the "Import Palette ..." option. Selecting this makes a brand new dialog "Import a New Palette". Toggle the Image option and select your Image in the radio menu there.

iirc, if you run this on an rgb image, it will take the first 256 colors (the darkest 256 out of millions). if you run it on an indexed image, it will take the 256 colors that are there.

once you have an acceptable palette, use the Image-->Mode-->Index... dialog to use this palette when indexing the other image.

you can control the number of colors in your palette by using the Index Dialog to limit the image to that many colors.

i used to make gradients from these palettes and gradients with 256 colors are not very useful. using the index dialog to limit the colors to something less than 16 made much better gradients.

i used all of these palette things to make a human face look like mona lisa long ago, and it worked very well.

playing with the options (the defaults seem to be set so that gimp will not crash) and being patient with the many dialogs is the best way to approach this task.

carol

----- End forwarded message -----

Andy
2005-01-04 07:13:42 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Palette options

Thank you for your help Carol

With kind and warm regards

Andy

On Tue January 4 2005 04:22, Carol Spears wrote:

i forgot to send this to the user list. sorry.

To: XX Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Re: Palette options

On Mon, Jan 03, 2005 at 06:52:05PM +0100, XX wrote:

On Sat January 1 2005 22:44, Andy wrote: I'm a new user and would like to know if there is a possibility to save a
palette and load/apply it to other images.

That is excactly what I'm interested in.

-->Dialogs-->Palettes will draw the palette dialog or bring it up. The second button from the left will add a new palette called "Untitled" and launch the Palette Editor. Back to the first Palette Dialog, right click on the "Untitled" entry will give you a menu and selecting the "Import Palette ..." option. Selecting this makes a brand new dialog "Import a New Palette". Toggle the Image option and select your Image in the radio menu there.

iirc, if you run this on an rgb image, it will take the first 256 colors (the darkest 256 out of millions). if you run it on an indexed image, it will take the 256 colors that are there.

once you have an acceptable palette, use the Image-->Mode-->Index... dialog to use this palette when indexing the other image.

you can control the number of colors in your palette by using the Index Dialog to limit the image to that many colors.

i used to make gradients from these palettes and gradients with 256 colors are not very useful. using the index dialog to limit the colors to something less than 16 made much better gradients.

i used all of these palette things to make a human face look like mona lisa long ago, and it worked very well.

playing with the options (the defaults seem to be set so that gimp will not crash) and being patient with the many dialogs is the best way to approach this task.

carol

----- End forwarded message -----