RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

GIMP resize options

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

GIMP resize options Cliff Esler 03 Mar 00:45
  GIMP resize options Casey Connor 03 Mar 00:58
   GIMP resize options Pat David 03 Mar 01:59
Cliff Esler
2017-03-03 00:45:17 UTC (about 7 years ago)

GIMP resize options

I am a relatively new user running GIMP 2.8.18 on Win7 Pro x64 OS.

Am puzzled by the absence of a simple "resize" option which is standard in most graphics applications, allowing you to choose pixel resize with or without maintaining present width to height ratio.

I do not see this in Image > Transform I do not see this in Image > Scale Image I do not see this in Tools >

So my question (which is really a UI design issue) is "why is this rudimentary function hard to find?"

After failing to find it in GIMP for an image I was working on, I finally gave up and resized it in MS Paint with a few clicks.

Surely that does not recommend GIMP for user-friendliness.

If someone can tell me where to find Resize with "maintain aspect ratio" unchecked, my thanks in advance.

CE

Casey Connor
2017-03-03 00:58:45 UTC (about 7 years ago)

GIMP resize options

Do:

Image > Scale Image

And uncheck the "chain" icon next to the values. This is pretty standard GUI to indicate that things are not "linked". Same paradigm in play in the layers dock; they can be linked together so that they move together.

You can also use the Scale tool (ctrl-T by default, I believe.)

(I'm in 2.9.5 but I believe the above applies all the same.)

-c

Pat David
2017-03-03 01:59:49 UTC (about 7 years ago)

GIMP resize options

It's actually one of the very first options as an example in the docs:

https://docs.gimp.org/2.8/en/gimp-tutorial-quickie-scale.html

Or the first tutorial on the tutorials page:

https://www.gimp.org/tutorials/GIMP_Quickies/#changing-the-size-dimensions-of-an-image-scale

There's a few other things there that might be helpful to you as well.

Pat

On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 6:58 PM Casey Connor wrote:

Do:

Image > Scale Image

And uncheck the "chain" icon next to the values. This is pretty standard GUI to indicate that things are not "linked". Same paradigm in play in the layers dock; they can be linked together so that they move together.

You can also use the Scale tool (ctrl-T by default, I believe.)

(I'm in 2.9.5 but I believe the above applies all the same.)

-c