RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Text Characters

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

9 of 9 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Text Characters Paula Koval 22 Feb 00:33
  Text Characters Owen Cook 22 Feb 02:26
   Text Characters Rick Strong 22 Feb 18:19
    Text Characters Ofnuts 22 Feb 22:31
     Text Characters Paula Koval 03 Mar 02:51
      Text Characters Rick Strong 03 Mar 06:47
      Text Characters rich2005 03 Mar 08:16
      Text Characters Guy Stalnaker 03 Mar 16:48
       Text Characters gstalnaker 04 Mar 15:50
Paula Koval
2017-02-22 00:33:19 UTC (about 7 years ago)

Text Characters

Hello, All! I have been looking for a way to produce text that has an outline that has a color but a transparent interior. I have searched the Help to the best of my ability before asking. I suspect that it takes the use of a Tool, like a Brush or Bucket to subtract the fill. My thanks in advance for your help.

*"It's so nice to know so many nice people."*

*---Eddie Gallaher (1914-2003)     Radio Personality, Washington, DC
1947-2000*
Owen Cook
2017-02-22 02:26:04 UTC (about 7 years ago)

Text Characters

Subject: [Gimp-user] Text Characters

Hello, All! I have been looking for a way to produce text that has an outline that has a color but a transparent interior. I have searched the Help to the best of my ability before asking. I suspect that it takes the use of a Tool, like a Brush or Bucket to subtract the fill. My thanks in advance for your help.

1. Enter your text
2. Layer->Text to Path
3. Edit->Stroke path (you need to set up color etc) 4. Edit->Select by Color
5. Ctrl + x to delete the colour (of your text)

Owen

Rick Strong
2017-02-22 18:19:36 UTC (about 7 years ago)

Text Characters

A slight correction to this great instruction: 4. Select -> by Color

Rick S.

-----Original Message----- From: Owen Cook
Sent: Tuesday, February 21, 2017 9:26 PM To: gimp-user
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Text Characters

1. Enter your text
2. Layer->Text to Path

Owen

Ofnuts
2017-02-22 22:31:50 UTC (about 7 years ago)

Text Characters

Much better IMHO to avoid the post-stroke deletion by stroking the text outline on a new layer...

In addition select-by-color does a "binary" selection so the pixels on the edge are either completely removed (jagged line) or left (faint colored rim).

On 22/02/17 19:19, Rick Strong wrote:

A slight correction to this great instruction: 4. Select -> by Color

Rick S.

-----Original Message----- From: Owen Cook Sent: Tuesday, February 21, 2017 9:26 PM To: gimp-user

Hello, All! I have been looking for a way to produce text that has an outline that has a color but a transparent interior. I have searched the
Help to the best of my ability before asking. I suspect that it takes the
use of a Tool, like a Brush or Bucket to subtract the fill. My thanks in
advance for your help.

1. Enter your text
2. Layer->Text to Path

Owen _______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list _______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

Paula Koval
2017-03-03 02:51:38 UTC (about 7 years ago)

Text Characters

Hello, Everyone!

I am looking for the way to take text that I have created that has a solid color, make an outline around the edges of each character, and make the center of each character transparent so it the attributes of the layer below it will show through the transparent area. I tried to work with the instructions I was given to do this (see below) but either I cannot understand what I am to do, or the instructions are not complete. To all who have helped me, I thank you and I need a bit more to understand how this is to be done.

Have a great weekend!

Paula

1. Enter your text
2. Layer->Text to Path

Owen

Rick Strong
2017-03-03 06:47:47 UTC (about 7 years ago)

Text Characters

This works for me:
1. Enter your text
2. Layer-> Text to Path
3. Edit-> Stroke path (You need to choose a different colour from the text color. If you want a black outline, make the text red, or some other colour and stroke it with black.)
4. Edit-> Select by Color. (Select the red "insides".) 5. Ctrl + x (or delete) to delete the colour of your text (Delete the red "insides") and leave just the black outline.

At what step do you get hung up?

Rick S

-----Original Message----- From: Paula Koval
Sent: Thursday, March 02, 2017 9:51 PM To: ofnuts@gmx.com
Cc: gimp-user-list@gnome.org

Hello, Everyone!

I am looking for the way to take text that I have created that has a solid color, make an outline around the edges of each character, and make the center of each character transparent so it the attributes of the layer below it will show through the transparent area. I tried to work with the instructions I was given to do this (see below) but either I cannot understand what I am to do, or the instructions are not complete. To all who have helped me, I thank you and I need a bit more to understand how this is to be done.

Have a great weekend!

Paula

1. Enter your text
2. Layer->Text to Path

Owen

rich2005
2017-03-03 08:16:16 UTC (about 7 years ago)

Text Characters

Hello, Everyone!

I am looking for the way to take text that I have created that has a solid
color, make an outline around the edges of each character, and make the
center of each character transparent so it the attributes of the layer below it will show through the transparent area. I tried to work with the
instructions I was given to do this (see below) but either I cannot understand what I am to do, or the instructions are not complete. To all
who have helped me, I thank you and I need a bit more to understand how
this is to be done.

Have a great weekend!

Paula

You need to use a layer mask.

see: http://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Cut-Out-Text?pid=262#pid262

Combine that with stroking a path Layer -> Text to Path created with the text layer active, on a new layer as described by ofnuts.

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

Guy Stalnaker
2017-03-03 16:48:38 UTC (about 7 years ago)

Text Characters

Paula,

Using Gimp 2.8.20 that exact set of steps from Owen will give you what you ask for (I just did it). I've expanded the steps explanations a bit for you. Do this on a new empty file:

1. From the menu bar select File > New, OK 2. Use color palette and select the two colors you want to use for foreground (text) and background (I used white background and black foreground)
3. From the menu bar select Edit > Fill with BG color 4. From the menu bar select Tools > Text 5. Click and drag with cursor to create text box, place cursor in font size field (between Font name and "px" dropdown in Text properties overlay) and type 172; click in text box and type "Test": you should now have a large "Test" using the foreground color you selected in Step. 2; you'll have a new Layer in the Layer palette with the word "Test" as its name. 6. From menu bar select Layer->Text to Path 7. CHANGE the foreground color to a different color (e.g., red) 8. From the menu bar select Edit->Stroke path; Option Stroke Line will outline each character of the Step 7 color, Line width is the width of the "outline around each character" you mention; note options under Line Style, especially Cap style: and Join style: 9. You should now see your original background color (white), the text in your original foreground color (black), and the text outlined with the second foreground color you chose (red). 10. One change here from the Owen's steps: From the menu bar select Edit->Select by Path; you'll see a selection appear that covers the original text and a bit of the second text; this overlap will *reduce* the size of the outline, so plan your font size (in Step 5 and Line width in Step 8 accordingly) 11. From the menu bar select Edit > Cut (or Ctrl + x) to delete the selected path (which is the text entered from Step 6); you should see the background color now show through with the second foreground color all that remains of the text. 12. To see that the transparency is real, select the original Background layer; from the color palette select a new background color; from the Edit menu select Fill with BG color and the first background color will be replaced with the new one (I did not do this in the example below)

Selecting anti-aliased text may cause artifacts to exist with curved shapes if you use Select by Color in Step 10--you'll see this with the e and s of Test (try it out). Also, experiment with Edit Stroke Path's Brushes options! You can get some funky/fun results.

Following these steps you can get this:

Hope this helps and thanks to Owen for the basic outline. This is a great way to do this.

Regards.

On 3/2/2017 8:51 PM, Paula Koval wrote:

Hello, Everyone!

Have a great weekend!

Paula

1. Enter your text
2. Layer->Text to Path

Owen _______________________________________________

"Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end 
of human existence." ― Aristotle
2017-03-04 15:50:46 UTC (about 7 years ago)
postings

Text Characters

Ouch -- GMail HTML formatting got lost in the translation to this Forum. Here is my reply better formatted:

----

Using Gimp 2.8.20 that exact set of steps from Owen will give you what you ask for (I just did it). I've expanded the steps explanations a bit for you. Do this on a new empty file:

1. From the menu bar select File > New, OK 2. Use color palette and select the two colors you want to use for foreground (text) and background (I used white background and black foreground) 3. From the menu bar select Edit > Fill with BG color 4. From the menu bar select Tools > Text 5. Click and drag with cursor to create text box, place cursor in font size field (between Font name and "px" dropdown in Text properties overlay) and type 172; click in text box and type "Test": you should now have a large "Test" using the foreground color you selected in Step. 2; you'll have a new Layer in the Layer palette with the word "Test" as its name. 6. From menu bar select Layer->Text to Path 7. CHANGE the foreground color to a different color (e.g., red) 8. From the menu bar select Edit->Stroke path; Option Stroke Line will outline each character of the Step 7 color, Line width is the width of the "outline around each character" you mention; note options under Line Style, especially Cap style: and Join style: 9. You should now see your original background color (white), the text in your original foreground color (black), and the text outlined with the second foreground color you chose (red). 10. One change here from the Owen's steps: From the menu bar select Edit->Select by Path; you'll see a selection appear that covers the original text and a bit of the second text; this overlap will reduce the size of the outline, so plan your font size (in Step 5 and Line width in Step 8 accordingly) 11. From the menu bar select Edit > Cut (or Ctrl + x) to delete the selected path (which is the text entered from Step 6); you should see the background color now show through with the second foreground color all that remains of the text. 12. To see that the transparency is real, select the original Background layer; from the color palette select a new background color; from the Edit menu select Fill with BG color and the first background color will be replaced with the new one (see attached image)

Selecting anti-aliased text may cause artifacts to exist with curved shapes if you use Select by Color in Step 10--you'll see this with the e and s of Test (try it out). Also, experiment with Edit Stroke Path's Brushes options! You can get some funky/fun results.

Hope this helps and thanks to Owen for the basic outline. This is a great way to do this.