RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Locking layers won't work.

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Locking layers won't work. new2gimp2017 17 Feb 10:54
  Locking layers won't work. rich2005 17 Feb 11:07
   Locking layers won't work. new2gimp2017 17 Feb 11:13
2017-02-17 10:54:21 UTC (about 7 years ago)
postings

I'm new to gimp. No matter how many times I try...the lock pixels and lock alpha channels options will not work.

I would like layers completely locked so as to not accidentally move them. I am a veteran photoshop user and this is a very easy thing to do...but for the life of me I can't get gimp to lock down anything. I have seen tutorials and read articles and I'm doing exactly what it says but can still select and move layers even though I chose to lock them.

Any ideas on what's going on would be helpful. Thank you

rich2005
2017-02-17 11:07:22 UTC (about 7 years ago)

I'm new to gimp. No matter how many times I try...the lock pixels and lock alpha channels options will not work.

I would like layers completely locked so as to not accidentally move them. I am a veteran photoshop user and this is a very easy thing to do...but for the life of me I can't get gimp to lock down anything. I have seen tutorials and read articles and I'm doing exactly what it says but can still select and move layers even though I chose to lock them.

Any ideas on what's going on would be helpful. Thank you

Lock pixels and lock alpha channels do exactly what they state but not position.

What you need is the Gimp development version 2.9.5 (or wait for Gimp 2.10) which has a lock layer option.

see screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/x8JpOhD.jpg

For a Windows version try www.partha.com

PS users with preconceived ideas of how Gimp should work often have difficulty adjusting. Best forget your PS workflow and adapt to Gimp.

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

2017-02-17 11:13:32 UTC (about 7 years ago)
postings

Lock pixels and lock alpha channels do exactly what they state but not position.

What you need is the Gimp development version 2.9.5 (or wait for Gimp 2.10) which has a lock layer option.

see screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/x8JpOhD.jpg

For a Windows version try www.partha.com

PS users with preconceived ideas of how Gimp should work often have difficulty adjusting. Best forget your PS workflow and adapt to Gimp.

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

Thanks so much for the quick response. I will wait for the new version. What I was trying to do was set up a template in gimp for a friend as she is very novice at photo editing. I was just trying to lock things down so she wouldn't accidentally move top layers around when edting text and replacing a background image. Thanks again.