RSS/Atom feed identi.ca Twitter

image alignment/registration

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

13 of 13 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

image alignment/registration Casey Connor 05 Feb 02:57
  image alignment/registration Pat David 05 Feb 23:21
   image alignment/registration oneaty 19 Mar 12:25
    image alignment/registration Casey Connor 20 Mar 22:35
     image alignment/registration oneaty 24 Mar 19:58
      image alignment/registration Casey Connor 24 Mar 22:00
       image alignment/registration oneaty 24 Mar 22:36
        image alignment/registration oneaty 24 Mar 22:42
        image alignment/registration Casey Connor 24 Mar 23:02
         image alignment/registration oneaty 25 Mar 00:17
          image alignment/registration Casey Connor 25 Mar 00:41
           image alignment/registration oneaty 25 Mar 10:18
            image alignment/registration Casey Connor 25 Mar 16:52
Casey Connor
2017-02-05 02:57:03 UTC (about 1 month ago)

Hi - I was curious what the best overall image alignment plugin/method in GIMP (or out of GIMP) was these days?

"Best" for me means "most powerful/flexible/option-rich".

I've come across the hugin align_image_stack, the G'MIC plugin's "Align layers" option, and the image registration plugin . (I've also used the "Exact
Aligner" script, but it's two layers only.)

The goal is to align and then use mean/median for noise reduction stacking. I'll probably be working in 16bit.

Do all three methods do sub-pixel alignment? I read someone on pixls.us suggesting that the user upscale the source images by up to 1.33x before aligning for the sake of effectively achieving sub-pixel alignment, but if the current alignment methods do that anyway, seems like I should skip it... ?

Thanks!

-c

Pat David
2017-02-05 23:21:11 UTC (about 1 month ago)

Align_image_stack is usually the best option other than possibly attempting it manually directly in Hugin.
On Sat, Feb 4, 2017 at 8:57 PM Casey Connor wrote:

Hi - I was curious what the best overall image alignment plugin/method in GIMP (or out of GIMP) was these days?

"Best" for me means "most powerful/flexible/option-rich".

I've come across the hugin align_image_stack, the G'MIC plugin's "Align layers" option, and the image registration plugin . (I've also used the "Exact
Aligner" script, but it's two layers only.)

The goal is to align and then use mean/median for noise reduction stacking. I'll probably be working in 16bit.

Do all three methods do sub-pixel alignment? I read someone on pixls.us suggesting that the user upscale the source images by up to 1.33x before aligning for the sake of effectively achieving sub-pixel alignment, but if the current alignment methods do that anyway, seems like I should skip it... ?

Thanks!

-c

_______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

Pat David
GPG: 66D1 7CA6 8088 4874 946D  18BD 67C7 6219 89E9 57AC
2017-03-19 12:25:37 UTC (6 days ago)
postings
contact

Align_image_stack is usually the best option other than possibly attempting
it manually directly in Hugin.
On Sat, Feb 4, 2017 at 8:57 PM Casey Connor

wrote:

I tried align_image_stack many times, using different options combinations, but coudn't get aligned images in the end. I'm trying to abandon PS and fully use gnu software, but, so far, couldn't find a decent replacent for PS's autoalign feature. The point is that I didn't use tripod, so there are alignment differences in the original frames. PS's autoalign can handle that situation in a very satisfactory manner. Am I missing something?
I don't want to piggyback Casey's post, but since I have the same question, I choose to put this post here. If admins feel I should open another thread, just let me know.

Casey Connor
2017-03-20 22:35:24 UTC (5 days ago)

I tried align_image_stack many times, using different options combinations, but coudn't get aligned images in the end.

Per recommendations here, I've used it and it worked really well; I've read, and experienced, that it seems to need images to be pretty close already. Meaning, by default it won't assume the images should be aligned a great distance, so if you moved much while shooting it might not work out. You might investigate the -g option -- I'm not totally clear on how it works, but it sounds from the description like it might change the scale which align_image_stack uses to find control points. Maybe also the -t option?

You could also check out hugin, which AFAIK uses align_image_stack under the hood to do its alignment. It allows all kinds of manual intervention/editing of control points. I understand that a "one-click" solution is ideal, but mention it just in case. You can at least visually see what's happening with the control points and understand better where things are going wrong.

-c

2017-03-24 19:58:02 UTC (1 day ago)
postings
contact

Per recommendations here, I've used it and it worked really well; I've read, and experienced, that it seems to need images to be pretty close

Thanks for the feedback.
I believe if I shoot with a tripod it would work fine. The point is that a tripod isn't an option to me most of the time. My only camera is an old point & shoot Canon A3100, boosted by CHDK. CHDK has many wonderful features, but the one I mostly use is its raw capability, not available on Canon original firmware. Besides, I usually do a lot of stacking, pushing the final image quality to its limits. And here is my problem.
With PS, I can auto align hand held shots with excellent results. The differences in perspective between shots do exist but are not big, because I try to hold the camera the most steadier I can when shooting. I just came from aligning the same set of pictures in PS I tried in Hugin, and it worked almost perfectly. Before that, I had also tried using JImage (and its full package FiJi), but it is really, really complex and I gave up. So, unfortunately (being an open source fan), I will still have to keep with PS, until I find an open source alternative to its auto alignment feature.

Casey Connor
2017-03-24 22:00:46 UTC (about 24 hours ago)

Did you try the -g option with align_image_stack? Or -t?

I align hand-held images with align_image_stack and it works fine, even without those options... e.g. this one: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lacinato/32628735771/in/dateposted-public/

-c

On 03/24/2017 12:58 PM, oneaty wrote:

Per recommendations here, I've used it and it worked really well; I've read, and experienced, that it seems to need images to be pretty close

Thanks for the feedback.
I believe if I shoot with a tripod it would work fine. The point is that a tripod isn't an option to me most of the time. My only camera is an old point & shoot Canon A3100, boosted by CHDK. CHDK has many wonderful features, but the one I mostly use is its raw capability, not available on Canon original firmware. Besides, I usually do a lot of stacking, pushing the final image quality to its limits.
And here is my problem.
With PS, I can auto align hand held shots with excellent results. The differences in perspective between shots do exist but are not big, because I try to hold the camera the most steadier I can when shooting. I just came from aligning the same set of pictures in PS I tried in Hugin, and it worked almost perfectly.
Before that, I had also tried using JImage (and its full package FiJi), but it is really, really complex and I gave up. So, unfortunately (being an open source fan), I will still have to keep with PS, until I find an open source alternative to its auto alignment feature.

2017-03-24 22:36:29 UTC (about 23 hours ago)
postings
contact

Did you try the -g option with align_image_stack? Or -t?

I align hand-held images with align_image_stack and it works fine, even
without those options... e.g. this one: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lacinato/32628735771/in/dateposted-public/

-c

Tried

align_image_stack -a *.tif

and

align_image_stack -a -g *.tif

and no success...

2017-03-24 22:42:41 UTC (about 23 hours ago)
postings
contact

Tried

align_image_stack -a *.tif

and

align_image_stack -a -g *.tif

and no success...

The whole process:

1 - Shoot in DNG 2 - RawTherappe - Open dng's with preset Neutral and save them as tif 3 - align_image_stack.

Btw, beautiful image.

Casey Connor
2017-03-24 23:02:51 UTC (about 23 hours ago)

So, backing up a step: when you say align_image_stack doesn't work, what do you mean exactly? I assumed you meant that it did a poor job aligning the images, but I don't think the command lines you list there would even work to start the program, so I'm wondering now if you meant that it doesn't even run?

"-a" requires a prefix following it, and "-g" requires a number.

E.g.:

align_image_stack -a someprefix -g 8 *.tif

Documentation is here: http://wiki.panotools.org/Align_image_stack

2017-03-25 00:17:13 UTC (about 21 hours ago)
postings
contact

So, backing up a step: when you say align_image_stack doesn't work, what
do you mean exactly? I assumed you meant that it did a poor job aligning
the images,

Correct assumption,

but I don't think the command lines you list there would

even work to start the program, so I'm wondering now if you meant that it doesn't even run?

"-a" requires a prefix following it, and "-g" requires a number.

E.g.:

align_image_stack -a someprefix -g 8 *.tif

Documentation is here: http://wiki.panotools.org/Align_image_stack

Well, it works.

-a without explicit prefix defaults to the name of the first image file given.

-g without explicit number defaults to 5 (that is written in the --help option)

Btw, what os are you using?

I'm running this on Linux (Ubuntu 16.04)

Casey Connor
2017-03-25 00:41:54 UTC (about 21 hours ago)

Ah, ok. So what exactly goes wrong: one or two of the images is off-kilter?

If you specify -g, try using something besides the default, as I'm not sure that using the default will change the behavior. (Meaning, not specifying -g probably results in the same thing as just "-g" -- the documentation is a little unclear, but I assume it's active when not specified.) Perhaps try -g 3 or 4 instead? I'm not 100% sure how to interpret it. If that doesn't work, try 6 or 7?

Btw, what os are you using?

Kubuntu 16.10.

-c

2017-03-25 10:18:26 UTC (about 11 hours ago)
postings
contact

Ah, ok. So what exactly goes wrong: one or two of the images is off-kilter?

Yes, that's it. I'm just checking the first two images, since PS successfully aligned all of them.

If you specify -g, try using something besides the default, as I'm not sure that using the default will change the behavior. (Meaning, not specifying -g probably results in the same thing as just "-g" -- the documentation is a little unclear, but I assume it's active when not specified.) Perhaps try -g 3 or 4 instead? I'm not 100% sure how to interpret it. If that doesn't work, try 6 or 7? Kubuntu 16.10.

-c

I tried

align_image_stack -a align -g 10 -t 5 *.tif

and

align_image_stack -a -dixyz *.tif

and

align_image_stack -a align -SAP *.tif

and the images (the first two) are still unaligned

The resulting stack by using Photoshop can be seen here https://flic.kr/p/SDKdBf

Casey Connor
2017-03-25 16:52:15 UTC (about 5 hours ago)

I tried

align_image_stack -a align -g 10 -t 5 *.tif

Did you try with a lower-than-default -g? E.g. "-g 3"?

If you want to upload the base .tif files somewhere, I can try to align them, so we can see if there is some strange difference between align_image_stack on our machines.

-c