RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Scanner/Camera menu item not available

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

9 of 9 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Scanner/Camera menu item not available Freelife_software 27 Jan 22:08
  Scanner/Camera menu item not available rich2005 28 Jan 08:53
  Scanner/Camera menu item not available Alexandre Prokoudine 28 Jan 11:46
   Scanner/Camera menu item not available Alexandre Prokoudine 28 Jan 12:19
    Scanner/Camera menu item not available Andrew 28 Jan 12:54
     Scanner/Camera menu item not available Freelife_software 29 Jan 09:34
    Scanner/Camera menu item not available Liam R. E. Quin 09 Apr 07:32
     Scanner/Camera menu item not available Kevin Cozens 10 Apr 23:15
      Scanner/Camera menu item not available Jay Smith 10 Apr 23:31
2017-01-27 22:08:58 UTC (about 7 years ago)
postings

I use GIMP 2.9.5 on Linux MInt.
I can use my Scanner through other programmes but when I run GIMP and go to File-> Create there is no Scanner/Camera option. There are the options From Clipboard, From Webpage, Screenhot but no Camera/Scanner.

The Scanner is recognised by the OS but not by GIMP. When I type lsusb my HP scanner is clearly on the list. Any ideas?

rich2005
2017-01-28 08:53:07 UTC (about 7 years ago)

I can use my Scanner through other programmes but when I run GIMP and go to File-> Create there is no Scanner/Camera option. There are the options From Clipboard, From Webpage, Screenhot but no Camera/Scanner.

The Scanner is recognised by the OS but not by GIMP. When I type lsusb my HP scanner is clearly on the list. Any ideas?

Did you install the xsane package, which includes the gimp plugin?

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

Alexandre Prokoudine
2017-01-28 11:46:44 UTC (about 7 years ago)

On Sat, Jan 28, 2017 at 1:08 AM, Freelife_software wrote:

The Scanner is recognised by the OS but not by GIMP. When I type lsusb my HP scanner is clearly on the list.
Any ideas?

Install XSane?

Alex

Alexandre Prokoudine
2017-01-28 12:19:52 UTC (about 7 years ago)

On Sat, Jan 28, 2017 at 2:46 PM, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

Install XSane?

That said, XSane was last updated in 2013, and it's unclear if it's even compatible with GIMP 2.8. API changes in 2.8.x and 2.9.x may be not very forgiving to software that isn't actively maintained.

Besides, v0.999 only supports LittleCMS 1.x which is becoming uinavailable in repositories.

Alex

Andrew
2017-01-28 12:54:16 UTC (about 7 years ago)

On 28/01/17 13:19, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

Install XSane?

Imagescan is another option.

http://support.epson.net/linux/en/iscan_c.html

Andrew

2017-01-29 09:34:57 UTC (about 7 years ago)
postings

Imagescan is another option.

http://support.epson.net/linux/en/iscan_c.html

Andrew

thanks everyone for their answers. I was under the impression that Xsane is not needed anymore as the scan works perfectly well with Simple Scan within the OS.

I can confirm that GIMP 2.9.5 works well with Xsane. Cheers

Liam R. E. Quin
2017-04-09 07:32:46 UTC (about 7 years ago)

On Sat, 2017-01-28 at 15:19 +0300, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

Install XSane?

That said, XSane was last updated in 2013, and it's unclear if it's even compatible with GIMP 2.8.

Seems to work fine here.

API changes in 2.8.x and 2.9.x may be not very forgiving to software that isn't actively maintained.

Right now you can only scan 8-bit per channel images with the xsane gimp plugin, although the standalone xsane is fine.

Is there anything for Linux systems that competes with XSane? the other scanning programs I've seen are very limited - e.g. can't select a page area (whole page only) or can't choose bit depth, or can't tell the scanner to focus on the glass or the film holder, or to use the document feeder, or don't have a "batch' feature where you choose several areas on the page to be scanned when you press the button on the scanner (or the Ok button in the interface).

The xsane gimp plugin is often packaged separately from XSane and separately from GIMP.

Liam

Kevin Cozens
2017-04-10 23:15:19 UTC (about 7 years ago)

On 2017-04-09 03:32 AM, Liam R. E. Quin wrote:

Is there anything for Linux systems that competes with XSane?

Another program for scanning is VueScan. IIRC, the website states they also support older scanners. I think they are also supposed to handle scanners that have the ability to scan slides.

Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.ve3syb.ca/           |"Nerds make the shiny things that distract
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172      | the mouth-breathers, and that's why we're
                                 | powerful!"
#include  |             --Chris Hardwick
Jay Smith
2017-04-10 23:31:37 UTC (about 7 years ago)

On 04/10/2017 07:15 PM, Kevin Cozens wrote:

On 2017-04-09 03:32 AM, Liam R. E. Quin wrote:

Is there anything for Linux systems that competes with XSane?

Another program for scanning is VueScan. IIRC, the website states they also support older scanners. I think they are also supposed to handle scanners that have the ability to scan slides.

Regarding VueScan, I have used the free version, and quickly paid for the pro version. It is worth every single penny. The owner has quickly and very helpfully responded to my technical questions which dealt with scanning issues, not product issues. I am just a user and have no relationship with the product or owner. However, I could not imagine using any other product and would have been happy to pay much more for it.

An additional benefit, other than dozens of other useful features, of VueScan: If you want to create a calibration for your scanner(s) [using a color target you have to obtain elsewhere], you can load that calibration from within VueScan. It really helps deal with the color problems caused by some scanners, or just some problems caused by scanners as their electronics age.

And yes, it can deal with slide scanners, etc., etc., etc. Their scanner list is in the hundreds of models.

Jay

Jay Smith

e-mail: Jay@JaySmith.com  mailto:Jay@JaySmith.com

Jay Smith & Associates
P.O. Box 650
Snow Camp, NC  27349  USA

Phone: Int+US+336-376-9991
Toll-Free Phone in US & Canada:
	1-800-447-8267
Fax: Int+US+336-376-6750