RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

gap-xanim-SOLVED

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

10 of 12 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

41C421E9.4050501@gmx.de 07 Oct 20:16
  gap-xanim Beatriz Botero 18 Dec 15:29
   gap-xanim Carol Spears 21 Dec 02:35
    gap-xanim Beatriz Botero 12 Jan 15:05
     gap-xanim Carol Spears 12 Jan 19:03
      gap-xanim Beatriz Botero 12 Jan 20:14
       gap-xanim Carol Spears 12 Jan 20:30
       gap-xanim Sven Neumann 13 Jan 01:30
        gap-xanim Carol Spears 13 Jan 02:34
         gap-xanim-SOLVED Beatriz Botero 13 Jan 17:40
41E56E26.3020801@barcelonac... 07 Oct 20:16
  gap-xanim Carol Spears 12 Jan 20:03
Beatriz Botero
2004-12-18 15:29:15 UTC (over 19 years ago)

gap-xanim

I am trying to use "gap" but I have problems with "xanim". From the addresses given by "gimp" only loki exists, from which I download "xanim-loki". But "gimp" delivers this error:

-------------- quote ------------------- An error occurred while trying to call xanim: The xanim program on your system "/usr/lib/xanim2801-loki does not support the exporting options Ea, Ee, Eq --------------- un quote --------------------

In Google I found, in "twocows", another "xanim" version but "gimp" delivers:
-------------- quote ---------------- An error occurred while trying to call xanim: The xanim program on your system "/usr/lib/xanim2801 does not support the exporting options Ea, Ee, Eq -------------unquote ---------------------

I looked in Google but without exit.

Any help on what I should do will be greatly appreciated

Beatriz

Carol Spears
2004-12-21 02:35:48 UTC (over 19 years ago)

gap-xanim

hi,
On Sat, Dec 18, 2004 at 03:29:15PM +0100, Beatriz Botero wrote:

I am trying to use "gap" but I have problems with "xanim". From the addresses given by "gimp" only loki exists, from which I download "xanim-loki". But "gimp" delivers this error:

-------------- quote ------------------- An error occurred while trying to call xanim: The xanim program on your system "/usr/lib/xanim2801-loki does not support the exporting options Ea, Ee, Eq --------------- un quote --------------------

-------------- quote ---------------- An error occurred while trying to call xanim: The xanim program on your system "/usr/lib/xanim2801 does not support the exporting options Ea, Ee, Eq -------------unquote ---------------------

i installed the proper xanim once. the version that gap requests is seriously broken. when i used it to extract video frames from one of my movies, it extracted frames without a blue chanel (see http://carol.gimp.org/gimp/techniques/photographs/movies/).

i am now using gap successfully and xanim is not installed here. please make certain you have installed the supporting software that is listed in the README file and avoid using xanim to extract frames with. unless you dont want the blue chanel ....

feel free to ask other questions as they arise.

carol

Beatriz Botero
2005-01-12 15:05:21 UTC (about 19 years ago)

gap-xanim

Carol Spears wrote:

hi,

i installed the proper xanim once. the version that gap requests is seriously broken. when i used it to extract video frames from one of my movies, it extracted frames without a blue chanel (see http://carol.gimp.org/gimp/techniques/photographs/movies/).

i am now using gap successfully and xanim is not installed here. please make certain you have installed the supporting software that is listed in the README file and avoid using xanim to extract frames with. unless you dont want the blue chanel ....

feel free to ask other questions as they arise.

carol

Hi Carol,
please excuse the long absence time, as I was outdoors spending some holydays.

I upgraded the Gimp-gap to version 2.0.2 and installed, without problems, the following packages:

mpeg2vidcodec_12 (MPEG-2 Encoder / Decoder, Version 1.2) mpeg_encode-1.5b
mpeg_play-2.4
wavplay-1.4
MPlayer-1.0pre6

However, if I try to open Xtns -> Split video to frames -> Hummingbird.avi (from http://carol.gimp.org/gimp/techniques/photographs/movies/) the Gimp gives the same error message about Xanim instead working with the above mentioned programs. Xanim istn't installed at all ! The avi file works in MPlayer without problems. Thanks for your assistance

Beatriz

Carol Spears
2005-01-12 19:03:59 UTC (about 19 years ago)

gap-xanim

On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 03:05:21PM +0100, Beatriz Botero wrote:

Carol Spears wrote:

I upgraded the Gimp-gap to version 2.0.2 and installed, without problems, the following packages:

mpeg_play-2.4
wavplay-1.4
MPlayer-1.0pre6

However, if I try to open Xtns -> Split video to frames -> Hummingbird.avi (from http://carol.gimp.org/gimp/techniques/photographs/movies/) the Gimp gives the same error message about Xanim instead working with the above mentioned programs. Xanim istn't installed at all ! The avi file works in MPlayer without problems. Thanks for your assistance

there should be two options in the Xtns -->Split Video to Frames Menu, "Any XANIM readable" which uses XANIM and "Extract Videorange" which uses MPlayer.

use "Extract Videorange". that hummingbird.avi came from a tutorial about my first time with gap which was interesting. my later experience and better experiences with gap can be found here: http://carol.gimp.org/gimp2/animation/gap/

carol

Carol Spears
2005-01-12 20:03:33 UTC (about 19 years ago)

gap-xanim

On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 07:36:22PM +0100, Andrew wrote:

Carol Spears wrote:

there should be two options in the Xtns -->Split Video to Frames Menu, "Any XANIM readable" which uses XANIM and "Extract Videorange" which uses MPlayer.

So how come I've only got the first of these? This is gimp-2.2-pre. Do I need to upgrade? Mplayer is installed.

okay, let me start by confessing that i have no idea what i added to my MPlayer that got that working. the MPlayer documentation is full of suggestions for supporting software and i found myself looking for software in many places i would not usually get software from. i eventually drew the line and would only get the suggested software from ibiblio if it was not available from the gnuish sites i am acustomed to.

(recently my faith in this site experienced a set back from some interesting screenshots which a lot of work went into but contained only not free and not even smart file formats)

one more confession, i can extract frames with the MPlayer i built but my MPlayer will not show video here. it looks like i built all of this in october of last year and there is a more current version that might work.

i find it interesting that you do not have both options as well, since i have the XANIM dependent option but since i do not have XAnim installed, i get instructed to install it and told where to get it in an error dialog.

carol@treva:/build/gap$ whereis mencoder mencoder: /usr/local/bin/mencoder

i think you should see what you need to do to get mencoder installed.

carol

to the best of my knowledge, gap uses mencoder to extract frames with. http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design6/news.html

Beatriz Botero
2005-01-12 20:14:26 UTC (about 19 years ago)

gap-xanim

Carol Spears wrote:

Carol Spears wrote:

mpeg_play-2.4
wavplay-1.4
MPlayer-1.0pre6

use "Extract Videorange". that hummingbird.avi came from a tutorial about my first time with gap which was interesting. my later experience and better experiences with gap can be found here: http://carol.gimp.org/gimp2/animation/gap/

carol

Carol, that is the problem: I don't have the option "Extract Videorange" I only have "Any XANIM readable". I have the programs installed in /usr/bin that is in the path. The option Video is working I did some tutorials with it.

Beatriz

Carol Spears
2005-01-12 20:30:50 UTC (about 19 years ago)

gap-xanim

On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 08:14:26PM +0100, Beatriz Botero wrote:

Carol Spears wrote:

mpeg_play-2.4
wavplay-1.4
MPlayer-1.0pre6

Carol, that is the problem: I don't have the option "Extract Videorange" I only have "Any XANIM readable". I have the programs installed in /usr/bin that is in the path. The option Video is working I did some tutorials with it.

sorry for my rambling answer to the same question on this list.

i built my own MPlayer and installed a lot of software. the problem with this is that i don't know which software i installed that triggered the option in the menu.

the software i got to build mplayer for gap with is this: ffmpeg-0.4.8
libdivxdecore-0.4.7
mpeg2vidcodec_v12
nasm-0.98.38
xvidcore-1.0.2

i seem to remember removing the things that did not work or install from that directory.

i wish i understood the software more and could give more specific help.

carol

Sven Neumann
2005-01-13 01:30:24 UTC (about 19 years ago)

gap-xanim

Hi,

Beatriz Botero writes:

Carol is using the CVS version of GAP which has much better support for importing video and doesn't any longer rely on the outdated XAnim.

Sven

Carol Spears
2005-01-13 02:34:13 UTC (about 19 years ago)

gap-xanim

On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 01:30:24AM +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Beatriz Botero writes:

Carol is using the CVS version of GAP which has much better support for importing video and doesn't any longer rely on the outdated XAnim.

well, there you go, now we both know. to get gap from cvs follow these instructions:
http://www.gimp.org/source/howtos/stable-cvs-get.html

only use "cvs checkout gimp-gap" instead of "cvs checkout -r gimp-2-2 gimp" as the tutorial says.

carol

Beatriz Botero
2005-01-13 17:40:31 UTC (about 19 years ago)

gap-xanim-SOLVED

Carol Spears wrote:

On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 01:30:24AM +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Beatriz Botero writes:

well, there you go, now we both know. to get gap from cvs follow these instructions:
http://www.gimp.org/source/howtos/stable-cvs-get.html

only use "cvs checkout gimp-gap" instead of "cvs checkout -r gimp-2-2 gimp" as the tutorial says.

carol

Using the Gimp-gap CVS and after making little changes to some of the programs that Gimp-gap needs, I have working the "Xtns ->Split video into Frames option". It gives me three options:

Extract Videorange MPlayer based extract
XANIM based extract.

I just try the Videorange option with the mvi_0082.avi (http://carol.gimp.org/gimp/2.1/gap/extract/) and the extraction of the frame worked.

Thanks Carol and Sven for your help Beatriz