RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Cursors & Selections

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Cursors & Selections Boxman 23 Jan 13:01
  Cursors & Selections rich2005 23 Jan 15:24
2017-01-23 13:01:28 UTC (over 7 years ago)
postings

Cursors & Selections

I'm and old Photoshop user (limited experience) from long ago and I'm having trouble understanding the concept behind GIMP cursors and selections. Mainly that there is no general selection cursor like Photoshop has and that all cursors are attached to a function. How can I just select an element, any element, and move it around or make alterations to it? For example, how to make a selection within a layer and then resize it, move it around, or whatever once that element has been made.If I use the tool that created the element, that usually ends up repeating the function and not making the desired adjustments.

rich2005
2017-01-23 15:24:31 UTC (over 7 years ago)

Cursors & Selections

I'm and old Photoshop user (limited experience) from long ago and I'm having trouble understanding the concept behind GIMP cursors and selections. Mainly that there is no general selection cursor like Photoshop has and that all cursors are attached to a function. How can I just select an element, any element, and move it around or make alterations to it? For example, how to make a selection within a layer and then resize it, move it around, or whatever once that element has been made.If I use the tool that created the element, that usually ends up repeating the function and not making the desired adjustments.

There is a steep un-learning curve for ex-PS users. Gimp has its own ways of working, do not expect it to be the same.

There is no general selection cursor. The selection tools are in the toolbox and also the menu Tools -> Selection Tools. Choose the appropriate one for your needs.

Gimp does not use elements or objects. A selection and the contents of a selected area can be modified separately by any of the transform tools. Say for moving, the selection can be moved using the move tool in selection mode and then following a copy, the contents can be moved, usually by moving a selection layer.

Difficult to explain in words, A very slow video demo (7 mins) might help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEFf9zOyZdA

That is part of a series I made.

http://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Gimp-selection-tools-for-beginners?pid=296#pid296