RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Digikam raw files and darktable

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 9 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

v2pifn7p4haap0328unfnuo8.14... 12 Jan 14:16
  1962090.l2qCv5egDR@loki 12 Jan 14:16
   CAHFG6sHLfBrZ9z9fRxBz40-OpO... 12 Jan 14:16
    2115661.C5dXNJ3QgB@loki 12 Jan 14:16
     Digikam raw files and darktable J Albrecht 12 Jan 14:15
      Digikam raw files and darktable Juan Jose Casafranca 13 Jan 15:29
      Digikam raw files and darktable Alexandre Prokoudine 15 Jan 13:05
       Digikam raw files and darktable J Albrecht 15 Jan 13:46
       Digikam raw files and darktable Juan Jose Casafranca 21 Jan 09:39
J Albrecht
2017-01-12 14:15:47 UTC (over 7 years ago)

On 07 Jan 2017, at 09:41, Juan Jose Casafranca wrote:

They need a way to organize their library, which DK is good at, and a way to process raw files, which DT is good at (DK is not a good raw processor and DT is not good for library management).

For the Developer’s benefit, I’d like to reiterate the above statement: digiKam is a brilliant program but please, let’s maintain the focus on where it is brilliant rather than trying to craft it into an all-singing-all-dancing piece of bloatware comprising relatively mediocre modules just for the sake of doing so. In the FOSS realm, digikam is an excellent Digital Asset Management program, darktable is, IMHO, the best Raw editor and GIMP is unparalleled for post-processing. It’s folly and perhaps a bit arrogant to assume that Users would willingly be hobbled by using only one program simply because they are “loyal” to that program.

Wouldn’t it be nice if we could just all get along….

Juan Jose Casafranca
2017-01-13 15:29:19 UTC (over 7 years ago)

Thanks Albrecht, that's exactly my opinion and the reason I want to develop this module :-)

2017-01-12 15:15 GMT+01:00 J Albrecht :

On 07 Jan 2017, at 09:41, Juan Jose Casafranca wrote:

They need a way to organize their library, which DK is good at, and a way to process raw files, which DT is
good at (DK is not a good raw processor and DT is not good for library management).

For the Developer’s benefit, I’d like to reiterate the above statement: digiKam is a brilliant program but please, let’s maintain the focus on where it is brilliant rather than trying to craft it into an all-singing-all-dancing piece of bloatware comprising relatively mediocre modules just for the sake of doing so. In the FOSS realm, digikam is an excellent Digital Asset Management program, darktable is, IMHO, the best Raw editor and GIMP is unparalleled for post-processing. It’s folly and perhaps a bit arrogant to assume that Users would willingly be hobbled by using only one program simply because they are “loyal” to that program.

Wouldn’t it be nice if we could just all get along….

Alexandre Prokoudine
2017-01-15 13:05:21 UTC (over 7 years ago)

On Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 5:15 PM, J Albrecht wrote:

..or you could politely ask whether having a switch for the preferable raw plug-in is planned for GIMP (hint: it is).

Alex

J Albrecht
2017-01-15 13:46:54 UTC (over 7 years ago)

On 15 Jan 2017, at 08:05, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

..or you could politely ask whether having a switch for the preferable raw plug-in is planned for GIMP (hint: it is).

That’s the the kind of collaboration that we’re talkin’ about!!

Thanks in advance, GIMP devs :-)

Juan Jose Casafranca
2017-01-21 09:39:06 UTC (about 7 years ago)

That is the point. Askibg which raw processor to use when decoding the raw file for showing the preview and thumbnail.

Anyway, I have been trying to understand the code and doing a todo list and it looks like a lot of work just for me (as I dont understand the code). The todo list is:
-Add code to generate the thumbnail when thumbnails are being created (this is easy and its done, although in a very bad manner) -Schedule thumbnail creation when a raw file OR the file where the edition is saved are modified. This is not done and I dont know how to do it. Maybe a new table in the database where we stored the edition files and the image file which are related to. When an edition file is changed, schedule an update for the image.
-Being able to show several thumbnails for a single raw file is several editions coexist. Maybe the previous approach can do this also. -Config for selecting the raw processor.

Without some help from a experienced developer its impossible for me to do all this tasks in a correct, bugfree and eficient way. So unless a developer wants to help me with support, docs and code, and I know they have other roadmap, Ill have to leave the project, as I dont have enough time for solving those task in my own.

Thanks!

El 20 ene. 2017 21:09, "Alexandre Prokoudine" < alexandre.prokoudine@gmail.com> escribió:

On Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 5:15 PM, J Albrecht wrote:

For the Developer’s benefit, I’d like to reiterate the above statement:

digiKam is a

brilliant program but please, let’s maintain the focus on where it is

brilliant rather

than trying to craft it into an all-singing-all-dancing piece of

bloatware comprising

relatively mediocre modules just for the sake of doing so. In the FOSS

realm,

digikam is an excellent Digital Asset Management program, darktable is,

IMHO,

the best Raw editor and GIMP is unparalleled for post-processing. It’s

folly and

perhaps a bit arrogant to assume that Users would willingly be hobbled

by using

only one program simply because they are “loyal” to that program.

Alex