RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

boosting shadows

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

boosting shadows Casey Connor 08 Jan 23:38
  boosting shadows Partha Bagchi 09 Jan 00:45
Casey Connor
2017-01-08 23:38:23 UTC (over 7 years ago)

boosting shadows

Hi -- I was working on a 16bit tiff trying to boost shadows in gimp similar to how I do it in raw photo development software.

I was almost able to do it, but not well, because gimp doesn't provide much resolution in the low end of the histogram when adjusting curves, etc.

The best solution I found in gimp was to use gmic and enlarge the curve dialog across two monitors, which almost gave enough resolution to adjust as needed, but it was still a pain, and the results weren't as nice.

I ended up using rawtherapee semi-successfully (the controls for the curves are easier to adjust) but none of the solutions compared to using the raw software I normally use (Canon's Digital Photo Professional) because it uses some kind of scaled histogram (e.g. log scale on x axis).

Any techniques anyone knows to get this done in gimp? I know there are other methods with masks and overlays and such -- I haven't been too impressed with them and am hoping for some kind of curve tool... maybe a plugin? Thanks!

-c

Partha Bagchi
2017-01-09 00:45:30 UTC (over 7 years ago)

boosting shadows

An example image would be helpful. :)

Anyway, of the top of my head, you could try the following:

Image -> duplicate image in a new layer. Change the layer to B&W usings luminance. Invert layer and apply large gaussian blur. Change layer mode to soft light or overlay. Reduce opacity to taste.

On Sun, Jan 8, 2017 at 6:38 PM, Casey Connor

wrote:

Hi -- I was working on a 16bit tiff trying to boost shadows in gimp similar to how I do it in raw photo development software.

I was almost able to do it, but not well, because gimp doesn't provide much resolution in the low end of the histogram when adjusting curves, etc.

The best solution I found in gimp was to use gmic and enlarge the curve dialog across two monitors, which almost gave enough resolution to adjust as needed, but it was still a pain, and the results weren't as nice.

I ended up using rawtherapee semi-successfully (the controls for the curves are easier to adjust) but none of the solutions compared to using the raw software I normally use (Canon's Digital Photo Professional) because it uses some kind of scaled histogram (e.g. log scale on x axis).

Any techniques anyone knows to get this done in gimp? I know there are other methods with masks and overlays and such -- I haven't been too impressed with them and am hoping for some kind of curve tool... maybe a plugin? Thanks!

-c

_______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list