RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Brush painting in wrong colour?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

10 of 10 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Brush painting in wrong colour? Meg 08 Jan 03:14
  Brush painting in wrong colour? rich2005 08 Jan 09:09
   Brush painting in wrong colour? Meg 09 Jan 00:41
  Brush painting in wrong colour? rich2005 08 Jan 12:23
  Brush painting in wrong colour? Rick Strong 08 Jan 14:40
   Brush painting in wrong colour? Ofnuts 08 Jan 16:21
    Brush painting in wrong colour? Richard 08 Jan 19:20
  Don't change the logo (was: Re: Brush painting in wrong colour?) Rick Strong 08 Jan 19:49
   Brush painting in wrong colour? Meg 09 Jan 00:39
    Brush painting in wrong colour? Rick Strong 09 Jan 20:05
2017-01-08 03:14:41 UTC (over 7 years ago)
postings

So, I'm trying to do something fairly straightforward- take a pinterest logo, and change the colour to match the branding of my website. What I've done is take the image, create a path, open a new layer and colour in the selection. The problem is that instead of changing the colour to the green I have chosen, it's changing it to a pink instead. Any ideas why? I've attached a screenshot to kinda show what I'm talking about. Thanks!!

rich2005
2017-01-08 09:09:17 UTC (over 7 years ago)

So, I'm trying to do something fairly straightforward- take a pinterest logo, and change the colour to match the branding of my website. What I've done is take the image, create a path, open a new layer and colour in the selection. The problem is that instead of changing the colour to the green I have chosen, it's changing it to a pink instead. Any ideas why?
I've attached a screenshot to kinda show what I'm talking about. Thanks!!

The image is in 'indexed' mode which means it used a limited 'colormap' and the colour you need is not there.

Change the image mode to RGB Image -> Mode -> RGB.

Always a however, If you look at the screenshot, that little boundary along the selection are semi-transparent pixels ie. anti-aliasing. You are in danger of losing those and creating nasty hard edges.

Change to RGB then look at other methods for changing the color, Try color-rotate

see: https://docs.gimp.org/en/plug-in-rotate-colormap.html

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

rich2005
2017-01-08 12:23:45 UTC (over 7 years ago)

finally got round to an example

Drag the 'pointers' around to change the colour.

http://imgur.com/DT7iZcQ

Rick Strong
2017-01-08 14:40:20 UTC (over 7 years ago)

What rich2005 says.

Or, SELECT > BY COLOR, click on the red and fill with your green using the bucket.

Rick S.

Ofnuts
2017-01-08 16:21:53 UTC (over 7 years ago)

On 08/01/17 15:40, Rick Strong wrote:

What rich2005 says.

Or, SELECT > BY COLOR, click on the red and fill with your green using the bucket.

No, because this will not select the border pixels and you keep a faint red rim. Only two good methods here:

1) Rich's Rotate colors (which works because we are on a white background so the edge pixels are mostly a desaturated version of the others, but the output color must be about as saturated as the input one)

2) Color replacement (in full RGB mode):

- Layer>Transparency>Add alpha channel - Color>Color-to-alpha and remove the red (this replaces the logo with transparency)
- Set the bucket-fill tool to "Behind" mode and bucket-fill the whole layer (no selection!) with the required color

Richard
2017-01-08 19:20:24 UTC (over 7 years ago)

You can also perform a color-to-alpha transition (in full RGB mode with alpha channel) by using the "color erase" blend mode (eyedrop the color to be erased). Then you don't have to deal with the plugin dialog.

-- Stratadrake strata_ranger@hotmail.com
--------------------
Numbers may not lie, but neither do they tell the whole truth.

Sent: Sunday, January 8, 2017 8:21 AM
To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Brush painting in wrong colour?

On 08/01/17 15:40, Rick Strong wrote:
> What rich2005 says.
>
> Or, SELECT > BY COLOR, click on the red and fill with your green using
> the bucket.
>

2) Color replacement (in full RGB mode):

- Color>Color-to-alpha and remove the red (this replaces the logo with
transparency)
- Set the bucket-fill tool to "Behind" mode and bucket-fill the whole
layer (no selection!) with the required color
Rick Strong
2017-01-08 19:49:00 UTC (over 7 years ago)

Don't change the logo (was: Re: Brush painting in wrong colour?)

Umm, I don't want to be the buzz-kill here but perhaps you *shouldn't* be trying to change the Pinterest logo?

From the Pinterest branding guidelines web page, https://business.pinterest.com/en/brand-guidelines :

"Our badge Our badge is a red circle and white scripted P outlined in white. Use the EPS and high resolution PNGs provided below. Do not alter them and keep them free of filters and effects."

Most corporate logos are not open to change, or if so, the changes are specified in the brand guidelines.

Rick S.

-----Original Message----- From: Meg
Sent: Saturday, January 07, 2017 10:14 PM To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
Cc: notifications@gimpusers.com
Subject: [Gimp-user] Brush painting in wrong colour?

So, I'm trying to do something fairly straightforward- take a pinterest logo,
and change the colour to match the branding of my website. What I've done is take the image, create a path, open a new layer and colour in the selection. The
problem is that instead of changing the colour to the green I have chosen, it's
changing it to a pink instead. Any ideas why? I've attached a screenshot to kinda show what I'm talking about. Thanks!!

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/434/original/wrong_colour.png

Meg (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)
2017-01-09 00:39:33 UTC (over 7 years ago)
postings

Umm, I don't want to be the buzz-kill here but perhaps you *shouldn't* be
trying to change the Pinterest logo?

From the Pinterest branding guidelines web page, https://business.pinterest.com/en/brand-guidelines :

"Our badge Our badge is a red circle and white scripted P outlined in white. Use the
EPS and high resolution PNGs provided below. Do not alter them and keep them
free of filters and effects."

Most corporate logos are not open to change, or if so, the changes are specified in the brand guidelines.

Rick S.

I was wondering about that. I thought you couldn't, but I know so many bloggers who change them to match their branding that I just assumed (though we know what they say about that) that it was ok, since the logo is still being used to direct people to pinterest and is still recognizable as the pinterest logo.

2017-01-09 00:41:23 UTC (over 7 years ago)
postings

The image is in 'indexed' mode which means it used a limited 'colormap' and the colour you need is not there.

Change the image mode to RGB Image -> Mode -> RGB.

Always a however, If you look at the screenshot, that little boundary along the selection are semi-transparent pixels ie. anti-aliasing. You are in danger of losing those and creating nasty hard edges.

Change to RGB then look at other methods for changing the color, Try color-rotate

see: https://docs.gimp.org/en/plug-in-rotate-colormap.html

Thank you! I knew it was going to be something really straightforward.

Rick Strong
2017-01-09 20:05:29 UTC (over 7 years ago)

I have been a professional graphic designer for 30 years and changing someone else's logo is simply not done.

If you want a clean, sharp version of it, in the corporate colour, download the PNG or EPS versions from the Pinterest site.

Rick S.

-----Original Message----- From: Meg
Sent: Sunday, January 08, 2017 7:39 PM To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
Cc: notifications@gimpusers.com
Subject: [Gimp-user] Brush painting in wrong colour?

Umm, I don't want to be the buzz-kill here but perhaps you *shouldn't* be
trying to change the Pinterest logo?

"Our badge Our badge is a red circle and white scripted P outlined in white. Use the
EPS and high resolution PNGs provided below. Do not alter them and keep them
free of filters and effects."

Rick S.

I was wondering about that. I thought you couldn't, but I know so many bloggers
who change them to match their branding that I just assumed (though we know what
they say about that) that it was ok, since the logo is still being used to direct people to pinterest and is still recognizable as the pinterest logo.

Meg (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)