RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Installing HELP files problem

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Installing HELP files problem JayGee59 15 Dec 23:38
  Installing HELP files problem Rick Strong 16 Dec 05:28
  Installing HELP files problem rich2005 16 Dec 13:14
  Installing HELP files problem JayGee59 22 Dec 14:59
2016-12-15 23:38:27 UTC (over 7 years ago)
postings

HELLO: Mac mini (Mid 2010) 4 GB mem, over 400 Gig free on HD. Downloaded/Installed Sierra Mac OS today and updated GIMP to the 2.8.18 version also.

Clicking on GIMP HELP or CONTEXT HELP leads me to a blank page!

SO, I downloaded the GIMP HELP files and was able to Extract the files into the Folder titled gimp-help-2.8.1

HELP!! Now, how do I set this up to install it into Gimp, or to have GIMP access these HELP FILES?

Rick Strong
2016-12-16 05:28:57 UTC (over 7 years ago)

I recall something from a while back where you had to change which version of the Help file you accessed from British English to US English. It may be in the archives. I forget where the change is made. Sorry.

Rick S.

-----Original Message----- From: JayGee59
Sent: Thursday, December 15, 2016 6:38 PM To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
Cc: notifications@gimpusers.com
Subject: [Gimp-user] Installing HELP files problem

HELLO: Mac mini (Mid 2010) 4 GB mem, over 400 Gig free on HD. Downloaded/Installed Sierra Mac OS today and updated GIMP to the 2.8.18 version
also.

SO, I downloaded the GIMP HELP files and was able to Extract the files into the
Folder titled gimp-help-2.8.1

HELP!! Now, how do I set this up to install it into Gimp, or to have GIMP access
these HELP FILES?

JayGee59 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)
rich2005
2016-12-16 13:14:52 UTC (over 7 years ago)

HELLO: Mac mini (Mid 2010) 4 GB mem, over 400 Gig free on HD. Downloaded/Installed Sierra Mac OS today and updated GIMP to the 2.8.18 version also.

SO, I downloaded the GIMP HELP files and was able to Extract the files into the Folder titled gimp-help-2.8.1

HELP!! Now, how do I set this up to install it into Gimp, or to have GIMP access these HELP FILES?

In linux it would go in /usr/share/gimp/2.0/help/xxx where xxx is the language version, such as en for US English and en-GB for english-English. All the html and images folder goes there.

Then that has to match the language setting in

Edit -> Preferences -> Interface -> Language Sometime, the default setting "System Language" does not pick up Help.

If you can get that working in OSX, you will be more successful than most.

An alternative is the excellent PDF, indexed and searchable from http://gimp.linux.it/www/meta/

English or Italian. Whoever maintains that deserves a medal.

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

2016-12-22 14:59:42 UTC (over 7 years ago)
postings

Thanks for the replies!
I think I will just stick with the on-line version of the HELP files!