RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

How to change center point for distorts?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

How to change center point for distorts? JDawg 07 Dec 22:00
  How to change center point for distorts? Steve Kinney 09 Dec 14:50
  How to change center point for distorts? rich2005 10 Dec 20:09
   How to change center point for distorts? Steve Kinney 10 Dec 22:07
2016-12-07 22:00:01 UTC (over 7 years ago)
postings

I'm trying to do a series of WAVE distorts on an image, but it seems the shape of the distort is driven by the image size and shape, not the selected area. And the center of the distort is always the center of the image, and again, not the center of the selected area.

Is there a way to change the center point of the distortion so that I can create a wave distortion, for example, focused on several different points on my drawing?

Steve Kinney
2016-12-09 14:50:12 UTC (over 7 years ago)

On 12/07/2016 05:00 PM, JDawg wrote:

I'm trying to do a series of WAVE distorts on an image, but it seems the shape of the distort is driven by the image size and shape, not the selected area. And the center of the distort is always the center of the image, and again, not the center of the selected area.

Is there a way to change the center point of the distortion so that I can create a wave distortion, for example, focused on several different points on my drawing?

Being able to control the center and radius of wave and similar distortion filters would be cool, but until the filters are rebuilt for that there's a work-around.

First, make the canvas big enough that you can move the layer you want to apply the distortion to into a position where the place you want your distortion is centered on the canvas. (Image > Canvas size) Apply the filter and there ya go: Do Image > Fit canvas to layers to get back to a normal looking situation.

If you want to apply the filter to only part of the image, first duplicate the layer you want to tweak, then adjust its position as above and apply the filter to the whole layer. Move the layer back into alignment over the original layer, and add a layer mask to it (in the Layers dock, left click and Add Layer Mask). Then, with the mask selected, make sure your Foreground color is white, background color black in the color selector tool, and select the Gradient tool. In the Tool Options dialog, set the gradient mode to Radial. Click and drag to make a radial gradient, white to black, centered on the part of the distortion you want to make visible.

Alternatively, you can make a selection centered on the part of the layer you are about to distort, do Select > Feather to give the selection a blended edge, and apply the filter. Either this or using a mask will work; I usually prefer using a mask on a duplicate layer, because that makes the effect adjustable without undoing and duplicating the whole process of making the distortion.

To get "other than circular" distortion regions via masking, make a selection with any tool, feather it to blend in with the unaffected parts of the picture, and drag & drop white onto a black layer mask. Or just paint with white on the black mask with an appropriate brush.

To make multiple distortions, repeat the processes describe above as necessary.

:o)

rich2005
2016-12-10 20:09:02 UTC (over 7 years ago)

Try the g'mic plugin

www.gmic.eu

Find in Gmic -> Deformations -> Waves which has a definable center coordinates

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

Steve Kinney
2016-12-10 22:07:23 UTC (over 7 years ago)

On 12/10/2016 03:09 PM, rich2005 wrote:

Try the g'mic plugin

www.gmic.eu

Find in Gmic -> Deformations -> Waves which has a definable center coordinates

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

Good catch!

:o)