RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Where to put python file 2016

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Where to put python file 2016 DKCrotty 26 Nov 21:51
  Where to put python file 2016 Mark Morin 27 Nov 04:40
   Where to put python file 2016 Scott Jacobs via gimp-user-list 28 Nov 00:34
  Where to put python file 2016 rich2005 27 Nov 12:44
   Where to put python file 2016 rich2005 27 Nov 12:58
2016-11-26 21:51:20 UTC (over 7 years ago)
postings

I have just loaded the latest version of gimp 2.8.1. Nov 26 2016

I found a python script that I want to load (layer effects). Windows 64 bit

I have downloaded the file and put it everywhere that all the posts I find say to put it. I check Preferences, folders..etc. Put them there.

Nothing seems to work for the python file. The Script-Fu version went in with no problem.

I am obviously not finding what I need. Most of the posts and videos are old, so I am hoping that it is just not finding updated information. Or I am missing a step, like registering something.

Maybe someone can put out an updated YouTube Video on installing a Python Plugin.

First, it should be easy, and has not been. Then at some point, I want to start writing a python script or two, so its sort of a necessary step.

Thx

Mark Morin
2016-11-27 04:40:08 UTC (over 7 years ago)

do you have python installed?

On 11/26/2016 4:51 PM, DKCrotty wrote:

I have downloaded the file and put it everywhere that all the posts I find say to put it. I check Preferences, folders..etc. Put them there.

Nothing seems to work for the python file. The Script-Fu version went in with no problem.

I am obviously not finding what I need. Most of the posts and videos are old, so I am hoping that it is just not finding updated information. Or I am missing a step, like registering something.

Maybe someone can put out an updated YouTube Video on installing a Python Plugin.

First, it should be easy, and has not been. Then at some point, I want to start writing a python script or two, so its sort of a necessary step.

Thx

rich2005
2016-11-27 12:44:52 UTC (over 7 years ago)

Thx

Python is incorporated in Gimp 2.8.x so there should be no problem. As well as the old .scm there are 2 versions of layerfx.py one specifically for Gimp 2.8 see:

http://gimpscripts.com/2011/10/gimp-layer-effects/#wpfb-file-35

Up-to-date videos for Windows Users - installing Gimp - adding resources - adding scripts/plugins - installing help see:

http://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Gimp-Installation?pid=202#pid202

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

rich2005
2016-11-27 12:58:37 UTC (over 7 years ago)

I forget what I did myself. Need to add a video on installing plugins in Gimp 2.8 although advice on that is all over the place.

Plugins go in your Gimp profile usually

C:\Users\"yourname"\.gimp-2.8\plug-ins

If you have a 'bespoke' installation then find the location of your gimp profile using Edit -> Preferences -> Folders -> plug-ins.

I advise removing the layerfx.scm script in case of conflicts with the python plugin.

The layerfx plugin should show at the bottom of the layers menu and also right click context bottom of the layers dialog.

Scott Jacobs via gimp-user-list
2016-11-28 00:34:01 UTC (over 7 years ago)

Suggestion:

Try starting GIMP from the terminal. If there is a problem with a plugin and it cannot be loaded, there will be an error message.

I recently tried to install Resynthesizer, and it did not appear in the menu. I tried both places that Preferences-->Folders said to put the files, and ... nothing. I started GIMP from the terminal, and found that there was some sort of problem that caused Resynthesizer not to be loaded. If it is not loaded, it does not appear in the menu.
It may be that you're putting your plugin in the right place, but there is a problem with it, and GIMP cannot use it.

On 11/26/2016 4:51 PM, DKCrotty wrote:

Thx