RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Driving me crazy!!!

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

19 of 19 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Driving me crazy!!! ghart89 26 Nov 03:05
  Driving me crazy!!! Alexandre Prokoudine 26 Nov 18:45
   Driving me crazy!!! Pat David 26 Nov 19:39
    Driving me crazy!!! ghart89 27 Nov 00:12
     Driving me crazy!!! Partha Bagchi 27 Nov 01:10
   Driving me crazy!!! ghart89 27 Nov 00:10
  Driving me crazy!!! Rick Strong 26 Nov 22:25
   Driving me crazy!!! ghart89 27 Nov 00:07
    Driving me crazy!!! Rick Strong 27 Nov 05:14
     Driving me crazy!!! Joel Rees 27 Nov 12:42
      Driving me crazy!!! Rick Strong 27 Nov 15:15
       Driving me crazy!!! ghart89 28 Nov 16:39
     Driving me crazy!!! ghart89 28 Nov 16:45
      Driving me crazy!!! Richard 29 Nov 01:44
  Driving me crazy!!! Noel Stoutenburg 27 Nov 07:33
  Driving me crazy!!! Ed 27 Nov 19:52
   Driving me crazy!!! ghart89 28 Nov 16:38
  Driving me crazy!!! ghart89 28 Nov 18:24
   Driving me crazy!!! Ed 28 Nov 22:12
2016-11-26 03:05:38 UTC (over 7 years ago)
postings

Driving me crazy!!!

I am new at photography, and i recently took some engagement photos for a friend. I have been trying to edit a few of the pictures that are super bright (they wanted to take pictures at 11 am.....) can anyone help me figure out how to edit the pictures without washing them out?

Alexandre Prokoudine
2016-11-26 18:45:28 UTC (over 7 years ago)

Driving me crazy!!!

They don't look super-bright to me. Just a tad too much highlights in a few places. Did you shoot to JPEG or RAW?

Alex

26 нояб. 2016 г. 21:14 пользователь "ghart89" написал:

I am new at photography, and i recently took some engagement photos for a friend. I have been trying to edit a few of the pictures that are super bright
(they wanted to take pictures at 11 am.....) can anyone help me figure out how
to edit the pictures without washing them out?

Attachments: * http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/341/original/DSCN0624.JPG

-- ghart89 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums) _______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

Pat David
2016-11-26 19:39:37 UTC (over 7 years ago)

Driving me crazy!!!

What did you want to do to the images? What sorts of edits are you thinking of doing?
On Sat, Nov 26, 2016 at 12:45 PM Alexandre Prokoudine < alexandre.prokoudine@gmail.com> wrote:

They don't look super-bright to me. Just a tad too much highlights in a few places. Did you shoot to JPEG or RAW?

Alex

I am new at photography, and i recently took some engagement photos for a friend. I have been trying to edit a few of the pictures that are super bright
(they wanted to take pictures at 11 am.....) can anyone help me figure

out

how
to edit the pictures without washing them out?

Attachments: * http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/341/original/DSCN0624.JPG

-- ghart89 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums) _______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

_______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list

Rick Strong
2016-11-26 22:25:49 UTC (over 7 years ago)

Driving me crazy!!!

Your attachment is a JPG so I assume that's what your camera produced.

1. Open your photo in GIMP. 2. Save it under a new name.
2b. If you know how to make a duplicate layer, start by making a duplicate layer and work on that.
3. Crop out the extra wall on the left and right sides. 4. Go to Colors > Levels on the menu. 5. Make sure the Preview box has a checkmark in it. 6. Move the CENTER slider at the top, where it says 1.0, a bit to the right until it says .80.
7. Look at the results. Adjust it either way to your taste. 8. Save the GIMP file as an .XCF.
9. Export it as a JPG (File > Export AS) or anything else.

Next time, (the wedding?) if you have to photograph people outside in bright sunshine, have an assistant hold up a large white sheet or piece of white paper on the shadow side of the person or couple. That way the shadows won't be quite so dark. You should be able to see a difference before you take the picture.

Also, have your couple stand further away from the wall so that their shadows are cast on the ground and the wall is out of focus.

Forget about perfection. You have done the important job of photographing the happy couple.

Cheers,
Rick S.

2016-11-27 00:07:33 UTC (over 7 years ago)
postings

Driving me crazy!!!

2b. If you know how to make a duplicate layer, start by making a duplicate
layer and work on that.
3. Crop out the extra wall on the left and right sides. 4. Go to Colors > Levels on the menu. 5. Make sure the Preview box has a checkmark in it. 6. Move the CENTER slider at the top, where it says 1.0, a bit to the right
until it says .80.
7. Look at the results. Adjust it either way to your taste. 8. Save the GIMP file as an .XCF.

Next time, (the wedding?) if you have to photograph people outside in bright
sunshine, have an assistant hold up a large white sheet or piece of white
paper on the shadow side of the person or couple. That way the shadows won't
be quite so dark. You should be able to see a difference before you take the
picture.

Also, have your couple stand further away from the wall so that their shadows are cast on the ground and the wall is out of focus.

Forget about perfection. You have done the important job of photographing
the happy couple.

Cheers,
Rick S

Thank you. When it comes to pictures, i want them to look as perfect as possible. I feel like the background and their skin are really bright. But when i try to darken it the shadows on their faces get dark and you lose the detail :(

2016-11-27 00:10:14 UTC (over 7 years ago)
postings

Driving me crazy!!!

They don't look super-bright to me. Just a tad too much highlights in a few
places. Did you shoot to JPEG or RAW?

Alex

I feel like the background is really bright and their skin tone. When i darken it the shadows in the background and on their faces get really dark. What would you do to the picture? I'm really detail oriented, and want them too look as good as possible.

2016-11-27 00:12:41 UTC (over 7 years ago)
postings

Driving me crazy!!!

What did you want to do to the images? What sorts of edits are you thinking
of doing?
On Sat, Nov 26, 2016 at 12:45 PM Alexandre Prokoudine < alexandre.prokoudine@gmail.com> wrote:

Just basic, make it a little less bright. But when i do that the shadows on their faces get so dark you loose facial detail :( When i lighten the shadows their faces look weird

Partha Bagchi
2016-11-27 01:10:28 UTC (over 7 years ago)

Driving me crazy!!!

My advice to you is to make sure that your monitor is calibrated before you decided whether an image is bright/dull etc.

On Sat, Nov 26, 2016 at 7:12 PM, ghart89 wrote:

What did you want to do to the images? What sorts of edits are you thinking
of doing?

Just basic, make it a little less bright. But when i do that the shadows on their faces get so dark you loose facial detail :( When i lighten the shadows
their faces look weird

--
ghart89 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums) _______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list

Rick Strong
2016-11-27 05:14:56 UTC (over 7 years ago)

Driving me crazy!!!

You are right. Changing the part you want changes the parts you DON'T want to change. That's why we try to get the light right when the shot is being taken. Some people even use the little flash on their camera to "fill in" the shadows when photographing people outdoors in strong light.

Try playing around with the "Dodge and Burn" tool in GIMP. Dodge means to hold back the light i.e make and area brighter. You would use this in the shadow areas of the people. Burn means to increase the light or make an area darker.

Feather your brush and start slowly, exposure at about 10%. Ctrl+Z will cancel the effect and you can start over. Practice on something that you don't want to keep.

Rick S.

-----Original Message----- From: ghart89
Sent: Saturday, November 26, 2016 7:07 PM To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
Cc: notifications@gimpusers.com
Subject: [Gimp-user] Driving me crazy!!!

2b. If you know how to make a duplicate layer, start by making a duplicate
layer and work on that.
3. Crop out the extra wall on the left and right sides. 4. Go to Colors > Levels on the menu. 5. Make sure the Preview box has a checkmark in it. 6. Move the CENTER slider at the top, where it says 1.0, a bit to the right
until it says .80.

Next time, (the wedding?) if you have to photograph people outside in bright
sunshine, have an assistant hold up a large white sheet or piece of white
paper on the shadow side of the person or couple. That way the shadows won't
be quite so dark. You should be able to see a difference before you take the
picture.

Forget about perfection. You have done the important job of photographing
the happy couple.

Cheers,
Rick S

Thank you. When it comes to pictures, i want them to look as perfect as possible. I feel like the background and their skin are really bright. But when
i try to darken it the shadows on their faces get dark and you lose the detail
:(

ghart89 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)
Noel Stoutenburg
2016-11-27 07:33:30 UTC (over 7 years ago)

Driving me crazy!!!

ghart89 wrote:

I am new at photography, and i recently took some engagement photos for a friend. I have been trying to edit a few of the pictures that are super bright (they wanted to take pictures at 11 am.....) can anyone help me figure out how to edit the pictures without washing them out?

You might check some of the Youtube tutorials on using GIMP for image correction. You might find this video, particularly useful.

ns

Joel Rees
2016-11-27 12:42:37 UTC (over 7 years ago)

Driving me crazy!!!

whoa!

On Sun, Nov 27, 2016 at 2:14 PM, Rick Strong wrote:

You are right. Changing the part you want changes the parts you DON'T want to change. That's why we try to get the light right when the shot is being taken. Some people even use the little flash on their camera to "fill in" the shadows when photographing people outdoors in strong light.

Try playing around with the "Dodge and Burn" tool in GIMP. Dodge means to hold back the light i.e make and area brighter. You would use this in the shadow areas of the people. Burn means to increase the light or make an area darker.

I have been looking for that tool for ages! Now I know what it's called, I can find the documentation and figure out how to make it work.

[...]

Thank you, ghart for starting the thread, and of course, Rick, for chiming in at the right time.

This is why we sign up for these lists. Trying to help others, we get helped in turn. Way cool.

Joel Rees

I'm imagining I'm a novelist:
http://joels-random-eikaiwa.blogspot.com/2016/11/simplife01-1-meet-the-pilots.html
Rick Strong
2016-11-27 15:15:05 UTC (over 7 years ago)

Driving me crazy!!!

Just paying it forward.

I'm a newbie to GIMP too, but used Adobe CS for many years. Over the years, I have been helped many, many times by folks on lists just like this. (Remember Pagemaker?)
I've found that the lists that endure have a "smile in their voice" and say "please" and "thank you" a lot.

Cheers, Rick S.

-----Original Message----- From: Joel Rees
Sent: Sunday, November 27, 2016 7:42 AM To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Driving me crazy!!!

whoa!

On Sun, Nov 27, 2016 at 2:14 PM, Rick Strong wrote:

Try playing around with the "Dodge and Burn" tool in GIMP. Dodge means to hold back the light i.e make and area brighter. You would use this in the shadow areas of the people. Burn means to increase the light or make an area
darker.

I have been looking for that tool for ages! Now I know what it's called, I can find the documentation and figure out how to make it work.

[...]

Thank you, ghart for starting the thread, and of course, Rick, for chiming in at the right time.

This is why we sign up for these lists. Trying to help others, we get helped in turn. Way cool.

Joel Rees

I'm imagining I'm a novelist:
http://joels-random-eikaiwa.blogspot.com/2016/11/simplife01-1-meet-the-pilots.html
Ed
2016-11-27 19:52:47 UTC (over 7 years ago)

Driving me crazy!!!

If that were my picture, I would

1. crop away most of the wall, left right and above your subject. 2. I would crop away the subjects from the waist down. 3. As it appears that you shot this face on, the crop would give you that portion of the subject scene that was of interest. 4. Edit to get the faces as correct as possible. The faces are 99% of what anyone looking at this will focus on.

5. As a P.S. Next time fill the view finder with your subject, move them away from the wall, and use a flash for fill lighting (or other lighting devices as available).

With that said, it is a good effort by someone learning. Keep practicing, reading, and asking questions.

-----Original Message----- From: gimp-user-list [mailto:gimp-user-list-bounces@gnome.org] On Behalf Of ghart89
Sent: Friday, November 25, 2016 10:06 PM To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org

-- ghart89 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

2016-11-28 16:38:18 UTC (over 7 years ago)
postings

Driving me crazy!!!

If that were my picture, I would

1. crop away most of the wall, left right and above your subject. 2. I would crop away the subjects from the waist down. 3. As it appears that you shot this face on, the crop would give you that
portion of the subject scene that was of interest. 4. Edit to get the faces as correct as possible. The faces are 99% of
what anyone looking at this will focus on.

5. As a P.S. Next time fill the view finder with your subject, move them
away from the wall, and use a flash for fill lighting (or other lighting
devices as available).

With that said, it is a good effort by someone learning. Keep practicing,
reading, and asking questions.

-----Original Message----- From: gimp-user-list [mailto:gimp-user-list-bounces@gnome.org] On Behalf Of
ghart89
Sent: Friday, November 25, 2016 10:06 PM To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org

I am new at photography, and i recently took some engagement photos for a
friend. I have been trying to edit a few of the pictures that are super
bright (they wanted to take pictures at 11 am.....) can anyone help me figure out how to edit the pictures without washing them out?

Attachments: *
http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/341/original/DSCN0624.JPG

Thank you, ill try that!

2016-11-28 16:39:25 UTC (over 7 years ago)
postings

Driving me crazy!!!

Just paying it forward.

I'm a newbie to GIMP too, but used Adobe CS for many years. Over the years, I have been helped many, many times by folks on lists just
like this. (Remember Pagemaker?)
I've found that the lists that endure have a "smile in their voice" and say
"please" and "thank you" a lot.

Cheers, Rick S.

-----Original Message----- From: Joel Rees
Sent: Sunday, November 27, 2016 7:42 AM To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Driving me crazy!!!

whoa! I have been looking for that tool for ages! Now I know what it's called, I can find the documentation and figure out how to make it work.

lol your welcome!! I'm glad my learning experience is helping others as well!!

2016-11-28 16:45:09 UTC (over 7 years ago)
postings

Driving me crazy!!!

You are right. Changing the part you want changes the parts you DON'T want
to change. That's why we try to get the light right when the shot is being
taken. Some people even use the little flash on their camera to "fill in"
the shadows when photographing people outdoors in strong light.

Try playing around with the "Dodge and Burn" tool in GIMP. Dodge means to
hold back the light i.e make and area brighter. You would use this in the
shadow areas of the people. Burn means to increase the light or make an area
darker.

Feather your brush and start slowly, exposure at about 10%. Ctrl+Z will
cancel the effect and you can start over. Practice on something that you
don't want to keep.

Rick S.

I've been using the burn tool, it works to remove part of the shadow on their faces but they always end up looking deformed lol

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, November 26, 2016 7:07 PM To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
Subject: [Gimp-user] Driving me crazy!!! Thank you. When it comes to pictures, i want them to look as perfect as
possible. I feel like the background and their skin are really bright. But
when
i try to darken it the shadows on their faces get dark and you lose the
detail
:(

2016-11-28 18:24:48 UTC (over 7 years ago)
postings

Driving me crazy!!!

Thank you for all the help!!!! Here is one of the edits i was able to do with it all!!! And why i never thought about cropping it, i'll never know!!! lol

Ed
2016-11-28 22:12:38 UTC (over 7 years ago)

Driving me crazy!!!

Those are much better. You have greatly improved the qualities of those images. Good for you.

-----Original Message----- From: gimp-user-list [mailto:gimp-user-list-bounces@gnome.org] On Behalf Of ghart89
Sent: Monday, November 28, 2016 1:25 PM To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org

Thank you for all the help!!!! Here is one of the edits i was able to do with it all!!! And why i never thought about cropping it, i'll never know!!! lol

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/344/original/DSCN0624_(2).JPG * http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/345/original/DSCN0633_(3).JPG

Richard
2016-11-29 01:44:27 UTC (over 7 years ago)

Driving me crazy!!!

Note that unlike an analog dodge/burn, digital dodge/burn tool can be configured to affect shadows, midtones, or highlights. Check which mode is currently active in the toolbox options and experiment to find which one works better for what.

Also, since GIMP processes the image in RGB space, dodge/burn operations affect each channel independently and this will sometimes cause unwanted hue shifts when dealing with mixed RGB tones. E.g. doing a midtones or shadows burn on a pixel of RGB #ff8000 (orange) will cause it to fade to red and stop, not a darker orange followed by brown and black. If you want to preserve hue/saturation while using dodge/burn you may want to consider decomposing the image into a colorspace that separates greyscale from chroma (like YCC).

-- Stratadrake strata_ranger@hotmail.com
--------------------
Numbers may not lie, but neither do they tell the whole truth.

Sent: Monday, November 28, 2016 8:45 AM
To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org

I've been using the burn tool, it works to remove part of the shadow on their
faces but they always end up looking deformed lol

--
ghart89 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)